Norwegian mass murderer faces just 21 years in prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwegian mass murderer faces just 21 years in prison

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

The fact that Norway's maximum penalty for any crime is 21 years in prison is facing rising criticism in the wake of the twin attacks that killed 93 people, with many deeming the penalty too lax.

Ever since Norwegian media named 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik as the prime suspect, calls have been growing for the maximum penalty under the Norwegian penal code to be extended.

If found guilty, Behring Breivik's 21 years in prison would equal a penalty of 82 days per killing.
    Unreal
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Wonderful, effectively a bulk discount on murder.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

just a hunch - I'd bet that in the next 21 years this law will be changed, and that there will not be any grandfathering clause.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Or at the very least couldn't they change it to 21 years max per count?

Comment

2 days in non-solitary and this guy is dead, either by muslims or angry Norges....
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

This is Norway, one of (if not the) most permissive countries on the planet. And you're really surprised by this? Really?
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

He would get 20 years in Texas--due to appeals. Then they would execute him.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                2 days in non-solitary and this guy is dead, either by muslims or angry Norges....
                In the US no doubt but from a few articles I read prison in Norway is much nicer than here. Norway has a very strong belief in forgiveness and they have a very low rate in repeat offenders. Which indicates to me that prison life isn't what it is over here. Not that I'd want to spend a week on vacation there but just saying sounds like this isn't the kind of country where this will happen. Unfortunately.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Norway's such an odd country. On the one hand, you associate them with the pure white snow rendering everything peaceful, then this guy comes around on top of all the church burnings and black metal craziness from years past - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_N...ck_metal_scene

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    In the US no doubt but from a few articles I read prison in Norway is much nicer than here. Norway has a very strong belief in forgiveness and they have a very low rate in repeat offenders. Which indicates to me that prison life isn't what it is over here. Not that I'd want to spend a week on vacation there but just saying sounds like this isn't the kind of country where this will happen. Unfortunately.
                    I'm sure it is different, but he killed 60+ kids....you get the Vikings riled up, and you end up with Ragnorok!
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      Norway's such an odd country. On the one hand, you associate them with the pure white snow rendering everything peaceful, then this guy comes around on top of all the church burnings and black metal craziness from years past - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_N...ck_metal_scene
                      Until the Light Takes Us was a great documentary about it and can be watched instantly on Netflix.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Well, you can always count on Glenn Beck to say something simultaneously asinine and hypocritical.

Beck, on his radio show, declared the killings "the work of a madman" and called the suspect "as bad as Osama bin Laden." But before launching into that condemnation, he questioned what the victims were doing at a summer camp run by Norway's ruling Labour Party.

Beck said the camp "sounds a little like, you know, the Hitler Youth or whatever. Who does a camp for kids that's all about politics? Disturbing."

However, politically-oriented camps are being organized in several U.S. states by chapters of the "9/12 Project" -- an organization founded by Beck himself in 2009.
                        The Colorado 9/12 Project hosted a "Patriot Camp" for kids in grades 1-5 earlier this month, featuring programs on "our Constitution, the Founding Fathers, and the values and principles that are the cornerstones of our nation."
                        In the wake of last week's massacre in Norway, U.S. conservative commentator Glenn Beck on Monday compared the summer camp where most of the 76 victims died to the Hitler Youth organization of Nazi Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          Well, you can always count on Glenn Beck to say something simultaneously asinine and hypocritical.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/...html?hpt=hp_c1
                          It astonishes me that he's allowed to talk and terrifies me that people listen.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Update:

Linky

Anders Behring Breivik could escape jail after prosecutor indicates gunman was not 'criminally responsible'

The prospect of Anders Behring Breivik escaping jail for the killing of 77 people has strengthened after the prosecutor said he was ready to accept the gunman was not criminally responsible for his actions.

This would allow Breivik to be sentenced to confinement in a psychiatric ward instead of a prison at the end of his trial.

Breivik is currently undergoing a second court-ordered psychiatric evaluation, after the initial one late last year found him criminally insane, sparking protests from the families of his victims.

However, in his instructions to the district prosecutor handling the case, Norwegian state prosecutor Tor-Aksel Busch wrote that way the case appeared now, Breivik would be tried as someone who was considered insane.
                            Should be dismembered limb by limb and his head put on a spike if you ask me.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 03-02-2012, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              It astonishes me that he's allowed to talk and terrifies me that people listen.
                              I haven't heard much from him since he lost the Fox gig. Is he on another network now? (not that I'm looking for him)

Comment

Working...
                              X