Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    how much has Entourage sucked this season?
    It's been meandering towards its finish for 2 seasons now. Probably good timing to finish the series. These characters worked well when they were fish-out-of-water wannabes ... now they are all rich and successful ... even Turtle. Not the same show any more. Still better than most of the nonsense on TV.

Only watching 3 series right now: Entourage, True Blood and Breaking Bad (not even 2.5 hours per week of worthwhile telly)

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      I think we discussed Community someplace in this thread, or maybe at the old site. I did miss most of this past season, but I find it hysterical. I find they have classic episodes, or they miss completely.
      The D&D episode with Fat Neil is amazing. Made me want to roll a 20-sided die.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        It's been meandering towards its finish for 2 seasons now. Probably good timing to finish the series. These characters worked well when they were fish-out-of-water wannabes ... now they are all rich and successful ... even Turtle. Not the same show any more. Still better than most of the nonsense on TV.

Only watching 3 series right now: Entourage, True Blood and Breaking Bad (not even 2.5 hours per week of worthwhile telly)
        I find it somewhat ironic that you talk about other "nonsense on TV" then list True Blood as a show you regularly watch. I watch it, though admit it is a bit of a guilty pleasure. That show has been a bit of a mess for the past few seasons, though it is still entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
          In some other thread I insulted Spartacus after watching the first episode or two. Well I kept watching and it kept getting better. Slowly at first but by ep 5 or 6 it hits its stride. Ending was felt a little rushed but overall this is one of the few shows I'm looking forward to another season of.
          you know that there is a prequel season called Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, right?
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            The D&D episode with Fat Neil is amazing. Made me want to roll a 20-sided die.
            I enjoy Thursday night between Community, BB Theory and I like Parks and Rec and have been watching since the beginning. I also work with municipalities, so the characters and plots appeal to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
              I enjoy Thursday night between Community, BB Theory and I like Parks and Rec and have been watching since the beginning. I also work with municipalities, so the characters and plots appeal to me.
              I watched the first 1 1/2 seasons of Parks and Rec and couldn't get into it. I think the libertarian is a funny character, and Aziz Ansari is great as expected, but the filming style of a fake documentary, just like The Office, is stale.

I think Big Bang Theory is truly awful. I've probably seen less than an hour of it, but to me, it's the type of garbage sitcom that we should have gotten past years ago.

Community is awesome though, and another plug for Louie, if anybody has yet to check it out.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I watched the first 1 1/2 seasons of Parks and Rec and couldn't get into it. I think the libertarian is a funny character, and Aziz Ansari is great as expected, but the filming style of a fake documentary, just like The Office, is stale.

I think Big Bang Theory is truly awful. I've probably seen less than an hour of it, but to me, it's the type of garbage sitcom that we should have gotten past years ago.

Community is awesome though, and another plug for Louie, if anybody has yet to check it out.
                I liked the addition of Rob Lowe's character on Park and Rec.

Comment

Big Bang Theory is one of my favorite all time sit-coms.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

hmmm ... who's this "we" that you speak of?
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      you know that there is a prequel season called Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, right?
                      yes! I plan to get to that one in a few months.

I really liked Andy Whitfield (Spartacus)... so sad he's been replaced.
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                        I find it somewhat ironic that you talk about other "nonsense on TV" then list True Blood as a show you regularly watch. I watch it, though admit it is a bit of a guilty pleasure. That show has been a bit of a mess for the past few seasons, though it is still entertaining.
                        It "might" be ironic if I said True Blood was excellent and then said other TV was nonsense. Just because I watch doesn't make it any good ... if True Blood in cancelled tomorrow ... I gain an extra hours sleep a week.

If you find my previous posts on True Blood you will see my feelings about it. I watch it because I have been watching it (habit) ... season one was promising, and it has steadily deteriorated since then. Episode 1 of this season was possibly the worst season opener of any series I have ever watched. I almost gave up on the series there and then, and only kept watching because there was nothing else on. That said, any series with Deborah Ann Woll and Anna Paquin regularly getting their kit off can't be all bad ...

Breaking Bad hasn't been great either ...

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          hmmm ... who's this "we" that you speak of?
                          Oh, come on. Don't get your panties in a twist because I dissed Big Bang Theory. If you like cardboard cutout stereotypes, who am I to judge? I'm sure it'll last 11 seasons or whatever, and live up to the great standards of its precedents, Everybody Loves Raymond and Will & Grace.

It's just opinion, stated with having watched less than an hour of any of the 3 series I mention. Because what I've seen has been terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            It "might" be ironic if I said True Blood was excellent and then said other TV was nonsense. Just because I watch doesn't make it any good ... if True Blood in cancelled tomorrow ... I gain an extra hours sleep a week.

If you find my previous posts on True Blood you will see my feelings about it. I watch it because I have been watching it (habit) ... season one was promising, and it has steadily deteriorated since then. Episode 1 of this season was possibly the worst season opener of any series I have ever watched. I almost gave up on the series there and then, and only kept watching because there was nothing else on. That said, any series with Deborah Ann Woll and Anna Paquin regularly getting their kit off can't be all bad ...

Breaking Bad hasn't been great either ...
                            I enjoy it for the camp that it is...sounds like you may enjoy it in a similar vein (pun not intended - at least not originally). I love the supernatural stuff and it's not fluffed up for tweens like Twilight or Vampire Diaries are, so it's one of the few shows in that genre that cater to adults. I guess it's kind of this generation's Dark Shadows (which I also enjoyed despite it's high cheese factor).

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                              I enjoy it for the camp that it is...sounds like you may enjoy it in a similar vein (pun not intended - at least not originally). I love the supernatural stuff and it's not fluffed up for tweens like Twilight or Vampire Diaries are, so it's one of the few shows in that genre that cater to adults. I guess it's kind of this generation's Dark Shadows (which I also enjoyed despite it's high cheese factor).
                              It's getting camper and camper ... the first season wasn't quite like this. It had a serious undertone, and was referencing current affairs. Each character has gotten more and more ridiculous (along with the plots). I can tolerate it because I have been watching it ... but I could never stand Buffy or any of those series that seem to be on endless repeat on the lesser cable/satellite channels over here.

Torchwood and Dr Who also fall into the ridiculous camp stuff I can't stand ... but which seem to be willdy popular.

Comment

Oh, come on. Don't get your panties in a twist because I dissed Big Bang Theory. If you like cardboard cutout stereotypes, who am I to judge? I'm sure it'll last 11 seasons or whatever, and live up to the great standards of its precedents, Everybody Loves Raymond and Will & Grace.

It's just opinion, stated with having watched less than an hour of any of the 3 series I mention. Because what I've seen has been terrible.
                                I completely agree with you on BBT and crap like it. The only way I could understand why adults watch it is if they have very little time and cant watch an hour long show every week. If they dvr'd a 30 min sitcom, they can knock it out in about 21-22 min by skipping commercials and if they miss a week or a month it doesnt really matter because each ep is self contained.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X