Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    What about Sons of Anarchy?

I don't watch it, but my daughter loves the show. She has gotten my wife involved and she is hooked too. It is in it's last season. I came home last night and they were in the middle of an episode. I got hooked in after only about 20 minutes. I am going to go back and start at the beginning. I will not watch any more this year as I don't want to spoil the ride. It is very violent, but you get hooked into the characters.
    I mentioned it earlier but if they like SOA they'll probably like The Shield as well.

I enjoy SOA but it really went off the rails for a couple seasons. The last couple have been very entertaining, but extremely violent.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      What about Sons of Anarchy?

I don't watch it, but my daughter loves the show. She has gotten my wife involved and she is hooked too. It is in it's last season. I came home last night and they were in the middle of an episode. I got hooked in after only about 20 minutes. I am going to go back and start at the beginning. I will not watch any more this year as I don't want to spoil the ride. It is very violent, but you get hooked into the characters.
      I felt it started off well, then got steadily more ridiculous as each season went by. I abandoned it at the end of Season 4. The Shield had a few quiet seasons, but it came really strong at the end.

Comment

• finally DVR'd through that "Stalker" episode. didn't sit thru whole thing, but seemed like one character had been stalked, another was now being stalked... geesh.

only mildly interesting aspect as I FF'd through a lot was that some creepy guy who was videoing teenage girls wound up providing key clues from his film footage once they got a search warrant of his computer, allowing them to catch the kidnapper of the younger brother. but geesh, that's not enough consolation to make this a weekly visit.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          I felt it started off well, then got steadily more ridiculous as each season went by. I abandoned it at the end of Season 4. The Shield had a few quiet seasons, but it came really strong at the end.
          Very similar trajectory in SOA.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Very similar trajectory in SOA.
            I was actually talking about SoA

... probably would have made more sense if I had replied to your post

Comment

• Watching the Great Pumpkin..what a classic show!!

I am laughing harder tonight than I did as a kid..

And there are two scenes cut from the originsl so they can fit In more commercials..ASSHOLES!!
              Last edited by Mithrandir; 10-15-2014, 08:07 PM.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Watching the Great Pumpkin..what a classic show!!

And there are two scenes cut from the originsl so they can fit In more commercials..ASSHOLES!!
                Oh no -- it was on tonight? Dammit, I watch it every year.

Comment

I got a rock !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

We have it on DVD.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I was actually talking about SoA

... probably would have made more sense if I had replied to your post
                      But you said you abandoned it. It got a lot better after season 4 IMO.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

But you said you abandoned it. It got a lot better after season 4 IMO.
                        Maybe I'll check it out again someday. Charlie Hunnan really started to annoy me. Bucky told me it gets worse, and that was the excuse I needed to jump ship.

I think it started going a bit downhill when

Spoiler!

Comment

Maybe I'll check it out again someday. Charlie Hunnan really started to annoy me. Bucky told me it gets worse, and that was the excuse I needed to jump ship.
                          I kept with it cause I have a hard time abandoning a show and it has gotten better. Hunnan has two acting styles; calm and really angry and he goes back and forth immediately with no in between. He's not a very good actor. The whole thing is completely unrealistic, this small MC from a small town (called Charming no less) ends up in the middle of a heroin and gun war between what five different gangs, the IRA and the Mexican cartel. I don't think so.
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            I kept with it cause I have a hard time abandoning a show and it has gotten better. Hunnan has two acting styles; calm and really angry and he goes back and forth immediately with no in between. He's not a very good actor. The whole thing is completely unrealistic, this small MC from a small town (called Charming no less) ends up in the middle of a heroin and gun war between what five different gangs, the IRA and the Mexican cartel. I don't think so.
                            It's completely ridiculous no doubt. But honestly, what show isn't? Other than The Wire, which was based on actual events David Simon covered as a reporter, I can't think of any show that holds up under close scrutiny. And the final season was completely farfetched. Breaking Bad required quite a bit of suspension of disbelief. And the way so many turned on Homeland because it became 'just too unbelievable'. Oy get a grip people, it's all fantasyland. If realism is one's main criteria for judging television, then it's not even worth wasting the time.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I'll amend my last statement, Rectify is pretty damn believable.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

It's completely ridiculous no doubt. But honestly, what show isn't? Other than The Wire, which was based on actual events David Simon covered as a reporter, I can't think of any show that holds up under close scrutiny. And the final season was completely farfetched. Breaking Bad required quite a bit of suspension of disbelief. And the way so many turned on Homeland because it became 'just too unbelievable'. Oy get a grip people, it's all fantasyland. If realism is one's main criteria for judging television, then it's not even worth wasting the time.
                                Yeah, that's true. I just feel that Sons of Anarchy really stretched the limits more than other shows.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X