No announcement yet.

Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw the release notes for this: Netflix TV series about the rise of Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel. Nearly 6500 people were murdered in Medellin in 1991 ... might give GoT a run for it's money in body count numbers.

Looks like there's going to be a lot of Sci Fi coming up:

Microsoft are making TV series out of Halo, and another series called Humans about humanoid robot workers.

Plus the TV remake of the Expanse series ... which could be awesome. I'm just finishing the first part after a recommendation from the Book thread. The story's great, and the world they've created is engrossing and serious (proper hard sci fi). The technical parts are done well. Unfortunately, the dialogue and character reactions to events are really poor. They needed several more drafts of the dialogue (or a better editor), in particular when the characters were reacting to extreme situations (of which there are many). You can tell it was wrote really fast. If it were a TV series, I'd have dropped it already. But you can get away with a lot on the written page ... you can imagine it's more believable that it is. Thankfully, someone else (other than the author's) has scripted the TV series, so it stands a chance. Also makes you appreciate the attention to detail that GRRM puts into every sentence. No matter how extreme and ridiculous ASOFAI got (like Expanse), I don't remember that many really horrible dialogue sections (unlike Expanse).

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Either very clever or very ironic. Either way, kudos.
      Can't claim irony. If I had a proper editor I would have written it proper like.

Comment

• Orphan Black season 2 has been great so far, except for an excess of man-ass
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          Orphan Black season 2 has been great so far, except for an excess of man-ass
          I binged watched season 1, and I have to admit to being befuddled during the first episode. I spent the whole episode trying to recall what happened in Season 1. Got there in the end ... I think.

Fargo has been superb so far. That's currently my first look series when I've the time to catch up.

Comment

• Was listening to NPR over the weekend and they were talking about Eurovision. I'd never heard of it but they were comparing it to the Superbowl in terms of viewership. Is this true Johnny?
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              Was listening to NPR over the weekend and they were talking about Eurovision. I'd never heard of it but they were comparing it to the Superbowl in terms of viewership. Is this true Johnny?
              Yeah probably, insofar as it's watched all over Europe. It is truly awful though, which of course is the primary reason to watch it. Since the Eastern Europeans became members, it has become simultaneously more ridiculous and more popular than ever.

Imagine the very worst Europop performed live ... add in some ridiculous euro hosts, broken English conversations, the perils of live TV, enormous amounts of awkwardness and amateurishness, and you have the recipe for an entertaining night in .... but probably for all the wrong reasons.

I lived with a Russian guy and Lativian girl for a year ... and Eurovision night was their birthday, Superbowl and name day rolled into one night of drunken amusement. Seemed like the entire eastern Euro population of Colchester descended on our house one year. I could never tell if they were serious or using it as an excuse for a party. Probably a bit of both. They didn't need much excuse.

It's the one show everyone loves to hate.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 04-28-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• So I flipped over to the Guardian after posting that, and read this (OK I read the first 3 sentences):

Is this Austrian drag queen making Eurovision a 'hotbed of sodomy'?

Comment

Hotbed of Sodomy would be an awesome name for a band.
                  Quick, someone call GG Allin!
                  the whole article was pretty damn funny.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Hotbed of Sodomy would be an awesome name for a band.

Quick, someone call GG Allin!
                    He's dead Jim. Here's a crazy tale of his last day alive.... http://noisey.vice.com/blog/gg-allins-last-day-on-earth
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      Orphan Black season 2 has been great so far, except for an excess of man-ass
                      it's funny that it's the dude from San Fran who points that out. \

though the development potential with the Cossima character completely negates that.

yeah, I'm enjoying where this season seems to be going.

No Mad Men thread or discussion so far? Don is certainly in deep - it will be fun to watch him reporting to Lou though.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        it's funny that it's the dude from San Fran who points that out. \

though the development potential with the Cossima character completely negates that.

yeah, I'm enjoying where this season seems to be going.

No Mad Men thread or discussion so far? Don is certainly in deep - it will be fun to watch him reporting to Lou though.
                        Yep, my quota of man-ass is met simply by the people walking by my house, while my quota of hot lesbian is only partially filled by Cosima

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          Was listening to NPR over the weekend and they were talking about Eurovision. I'd never heard of it but they were comparing it to the Superbowl in terms of viewership. Is this true Johnny?
                          The Austrian Drag Queen won Eurovision by a landslide ... doing a Shirley Bassey impersonation ... if Shirley Bassey had a beard.

Will UK entrant Molly do better than last year's Bonnie Tyler? Are France's Twin Twin the new Jedward? Will commentator Graham Norton ever replace Terry Wogan in our hearts? Find out all this and more with Stuart Heritage

Comment

• The last episode of Fargo was superb. The blizzard shoot out sequence was brilliantly executed.

Best show on TV currently.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              The last episode of Fargo was superb. The blizzard shoot out sequence was brilliantly executed.

Best show on TV currently.
                              I absolutely love Fargo, and will be purchasing it the first chance I get.

One of my favorite shows ended tonight...Revolution. It sucked me in, and I'm quite disappointed it ended after just two seasons. I think it lost a lot of viewers with the whole nano portion of the storyline. The rest of the storylines were great.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I watched Revolution and deleted the episodes after I heard it was done. Any reason to watch the last 3 episodes?

Comment

Working...
                                X