Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
    I love trying out new shows and dumping them as I realize I don't like them. I'm trying the following:

We Are Men
    The Blacklist: DVR'd
    The Goldbergs (first episode leaves me questioning how far I'll make it...and how far it will make it)
    Marvel: AoS: DVR'd
    Dads: Hilarious, I decided to watch this because of Martin Mull and Seth Green
    Brooklyn 9-9: I'll watch any Andre Braugher show...Andy Samburg isn't making me thrilled with this show
    The Michael J. Fox Show: My wife watched part of the first episode and already is going to take a pass. I'll watch it soon.
    At the end of October, and this list has shrunk.

We Are Men was dropped by the network. 2 episodes...yeesh. I was amused, but wasn't going to make it much longer anyway.

Michael J. Fox-Wife and I were watching it. It's now off our lists.

The Goldbergs and Marvel are both hanging on...barely. Marvel had two decent episodes, but this last one took a dive.

Loving Dads and Blacklist, Brooklyn 9-9 is improving each week.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Enjoyed the first episode of Dracula. NBC are upping their game, first with the excellent Hannibal, and now this. I don't think The Blacklist is as good as I thought it would be, but it's apparently doing well in the ratings, so it may have the chance to turn things around ... I haven't completely gave up on that one yet.
      Yikes, really? I thought Dracula was awful. I've really been enjoying Blacklist. I thought the first episode of Grimm was pretty good. White Collar is back and seems like it's still going strong.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Yikes, really? I thought Dracula was awful. I've really been enjoying Blacklist. I thought the first episode of Grimm was pretty good. White Collar is back and seems like it's still going strong.
        I thought it was a bit slow in places, especially for a pilot, which you normally expect to try and squeeze too much in. I think there was enough interesting in the overall plot and backstory (Dracula versus the even more evil empire), plus some interesting twists on the genre (Van Helsing's role) that are promising enough.

... but then again, also a couple of wooden characters ... and they really held back on the gore and violence, which will not please horror fans. True Blood became so popular because it didn't hold much back on the sex and violence front. But I suppose that is where network channels can't compete.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          I thought it was a bit slow in places, especially for a pilot, which you normally expect to try and squeeze too much in. I think there was enough interesting in the overall plot and backstory (Dracula versus the even more evil empire), plus some interesting twists on the genre (Van Helsing's role) that are promising enough.

... but then again, also a couple of wooden characters ... and they really held back on the gore and violence, which will not please horror fans. True Blood became so popular because it didn't hold much back on the sex and violence front. But I suppose that is where network channels can't compete.
          Yeah, here's a long review but these 2 quotes basically sum it up for me:

I just need Dracula to not get really excited about being a majority shareholder in British Imperial Coolant.
          Now Dracula is a vampire and he's insanely wealthy and he has speed and physical gifts which, like I've said, we've only barely begun to see, but he's inexplicably made the decision that rather than just going and slaughtering the Order of the Dragon en masse, he'd rather hit them where it truly hurts. Now, again, you're probably thinking, "Isn't the jugular where it truly hurts?" No. Dracula is waging an economic war on the Order

Comment

Now Dracula is a vampire and he's insanely wealthy and he has speed and physical gifts which, like I've said, we've only barely begun to see, but he's inexplicably made the decision that rather than just going and slaughtering the Order of the Dragon en masse, he'd rather hit them where it truly hurts. Now, again, you're probably thinking, "Isn't the jugular where it truly hurts?" No. Dracula is waging an economic war on the Order
            Sounds like Revenge with fangs.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Sounds like Revenge with fangs.
              Yeah, if the chick on revenge was a vampire and insisted on going about her revenge the same way she's doing it now, it would get annoying fast. And I think she did actually do some violence, even though she's a mortal.

Comment

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print...ss-reimagining
                There's also the "how evil is this Dracula" thing. Are they gonna turn him into The Equalizer? Is he only going to eat baddies? They left the scene were he was "kissing" the girl ambiguous by not showing if he killed her or not. Dracula is supposed to be a badass.

I watched it while doing something else. One thing I didn't quite get. The Order of the Dragon were suspecting that a new Vampire was in town. They also wanted to know more about Alexander Grayson, so they sent in the blond to seduce him. The hunter who brought the head of the victim was also the guy that Dracula killed at the end, right? He worked for the Order. So when the hunter found out that Alexander Grayson was a Vampire, then surely the Order would also have known? But did they? Why would this guy confront Dracula without informing the Order about Alexander Grayson's real identity?

I could have got that all wrong of course.

Comment

At the end of October, and this list has shrunk.

We Are Men was dropped by the network. 2 episodes...yeesh. I was amused, but wasn't going to make it much longer anyway.

Michael J. Fox-Wife and I were watching it. It's now off our lists.

The Goldbergs and Marvel are both hanging on...barely. Marvel had two decent episodes, but this last one took a dive.

Loving Dads and Blacklist, Brooklyn 9-9 is improving each week.
                  I just never got around to a dozen new (or even older) shows and they're starting to battle each other on the DVR for the remaining shelf-space as their episode limits are hit. Maybe once the WS is over we'll finally get to some shows, but I doubt it. Ah well.

Comment

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Haha ... that's brilliant.

Pam as Meg Ryan

:willnotclickasuggestedvideo:

Comment

• Somehow Boardwalk Empire finds a way to out-do itself each new season. This is definitely going to be top-tier (Wire, BB, Sopranos), if it isn't already.

Comment

• dammit, that Hawaii Five-O episode I just watched (which aired live 12/13) is the best single episode of TV I've seen in the last 10 years. It might get a little dusty in your place.

major disclaimers:

- yeah, generally it's a formulaic show

- I haven't watched the beloved recent shows like Breaking Bad or The Wire

- I only even DVR a handful of shows

BUT, I'm talking about single episode, and I've seen a lot of those in the last 40 years.

It's about a Japanese-American living in Hawaii when Pearl Harbor was bombed on Dec 7, 1941, and what happened to this survivor's family. We know about the internment camps/prisons, but this episode really made it hit home for a general audience. I'm a moderate and I hate preachy either way, but this one hit all the right and true notes, I thought. Some late poetic license, but when the script is poetic, you get a license. Just a beautifully-told story.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Has anyone else tried The Returned on the Sundance Channel? It is pretty good so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                              Has anyone else tried The Returned on the Sundance Channel? It is pretty good so far.
                              The French drama? Yeah, I was babbling on about that a few months back.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                                Has anyone else tried The Returned on the Sundance Channel? It is pretty good so far.
                                Yep, watching this one too. People are calling it a zombie show but it really isn't. Maybe the last one will be... Anyway it's really well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X