Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frae View Post
    Newsroom is back tonight and I love Sorkin so while it is not my favorite show by him, it is still better than a lot of shows for me.

Did anyone watch The Bridge. I have it on DVR and will watch, but was wondering what you guys thought?
    Thought the first season was excellent ... this season has a different structure though.

Anyone catch Ray Donovan? Thought the first 2 episodes were really solid ...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Thought the first season was excellent ... this season has a different structure though.

Anyone catch Ray Donovan? Thought the first 2 episodes were really solid ...
      Not sure what to make of Ray Donovan. It's not bad, but is he a good guy? A bad guy? A bad good guy? A good bad guy? I'm still tuning in, but not sure if it's a must-watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Not sure what to make of Ray Donovan. It's not bad, but is he a good guy? A bad guy? A bad good guy? A good bad guy? I'm still tuning in, but not sure if it's a must-watch.
        I'm not 100% sure I know everything that's going on ... but I think they set it up like that. They are unfolding the story slowly, and I quite like that. Terrific cast as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
          Newsroom is back tonight and I love Sorkin so while it is not my favorite show by him, it is still better than a lot of shows for me.

Did anyone watch The Bridge. I have it on DVR and will watch, but was wondering what you guys thought?
          I watched it and liked it. A lot of people seriously disliked the female lead, but I guess I was kind of prepared for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
            I watched it and liked it. A lot of people seriously disliked the female lead, but I guess I was kind of prepared for it.
            It's almost an exact copy of the Swedish / Danish series ... even down to some of the camera shots and dialogue. I don't think the lead actress in the US version delivered the semi-autistic-cop angle as well as Sofia Helin did in the original (I doubt anyone would have been able), but I don't think she did a bad job. In fact it's not clear from episode one that there is anything medically wrong with the lead actress ... and if you are not aware of that fact, it must seem like an odd performance. I'm guessing it will become clearer in the upcoming episodes.

The guy playing the Mexican detective nailed his character I think. What makes the original series work is the performance by Sofia Helin and the contrast between the two main characters, one being really laid back, the other being like a robot. I think this will be more successful than The Killing. The Killing was all about Sofie Gråbøl, and without her the remake it was just another dark cop series.

Comment

It's almost an exact copy of the Swedish / Danish series ... even down to some of the camera shots and dialogue. I don't think the lead actress in the US version delivered the semi-autistic-cop angle as well as Sofia Helin did in the original (I doubt anyone would have been able), but I don't think she did a bad job. In fact it's not clear from episode one that there is anything medically wrong with the lead actress ... and if you are not aware of that fact, it must seem like an odd performance. I'm guessing it will become clearer in the upcoming episodes.

The guy playing the Mexican detective nailed his character I think. What makes the original series work is the performance by Sofia Helin and the contrast between the two main characters, one being really laid back, the other being like a robot. I think this will be more successful than The Killing. The Killing was all about Sofie Gråbøl, and without her the remake it was just another dark cop series.
              This series definitely draws comparison to The Killing, and while I watch both, I do think I will end up liking this one better. I'm not sure how I'll like the leads, but like you said, I like the guy playing the Mexican detective. I'll have to wait to see how it all plays out, but I may still have a bit of a sour taste from the Killing after the finale of season 1.

Comment

• The backdrop of the Women of Juarez, the cartels and corruption seems like such a huge influence on the series. What the hell is going on in Sweden/Denmark that could make this so true to form?

I thought it was very good.

I wonder when Ted Levine will get a sane cop buddy to work with.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  The backdrop of the Women of Juarez, the cartels and corruption seems like such a huge influence on the series. What the hell is going on in Sweden/Denmark that could make this so true to form?

Without giving too much away

Spoiler!

Comment

The backdrop of the Women of Juarez, the cartels and corruption seems like such a huge influence on the series. What the hell is going on in Sweden/Denmark that could make this so true to form?

I just realized I fell asleep without watching the end. Yeah, that is pretty much the same as the plot in the original series. There it was about homeless people and prostitutes being murdered, and the police not investigating properly.

Comment

• Love the mood of the show so far.

Comment

• Note to self: "Don't watch Hannibal while eating"

Comment

Note to self: "Don't watch Hannibal while eating"
                          I never know what they are eating in that show. Every time he serves someone food I'm a bit creeped out.

It's a shame more people weren't watching it. I think it was one of the two best new network (4 main) shows this year (with elementary). Most everything else was rubbish.

The Season 1 finale on Thursday drew only 1.9 million total viewers, according to preliminary Nielsen ratings, a low for the series. Fortunately for the show and its viewers, it has already been renewed for a second season, currently scheduled for next year, and the poor numbers can be offset by other factors.

The recent drop only occurred when the drama aired opposite the N.B.A. playoffs on ABC. The season finale in particular had little hope of drawing much of an audience: 21.6 million people watched Game 7 of the N.B.A. finals. “Hannibal” hovered between 2.4 and 2.7 million total viewers for seven weeks, suggesting a steady, dedicated fan base.

Another bright spot is the DVR factor, which takes into account viewership within seven days of broadcast: when it comes the advertiser-coveted 18-to-49-year-old demographic, those ratings have gone up by an average of 77 percent, the highest percentage increase among all broadcast network programming for the 2012-13 season.

Comment

I am not familiar with The Killing. This US actress gives me the willies. She does such a good job I just wanted to pull her through the tv set. Had me talking to my tv set. Watched the second episode today. I can't say I like it, but I really want to see what happens. Nice touch on her response when her Captain said he was going to retire.

She seems to be the cop version of Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

Comment

I never know what they are eating in that show. Every time he serves someone AS food I'm a bit creeped out.
                              Fixed...me too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                I am not familiar with The Killing. This US actress gives me the willies. She does such a good job I just wanted to pull her through the tv set. Had me talking to my tv set. Watched the second episode today. I can't say I like it, but I really want to see what happens. Nice touch on her response when her Captain said he was going to retire.

She seems to be the cop version of Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.
                                The US actress is talented ... I think she does a good job. But there's something weirdly downbeat and dark about these Scandi series that sets them apart and can't really be replicated. I guess that's why the US networks and cable channels are mining them for ideas and new shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X