Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    My problem with the Genre is either over seriousness (falling skies) or cheesy soap operaness (flashforward) . I'm not ready to write this one off yet, I'll give the pedigree a bit of time to develop still. Although once Johnny pointed out the perfectness of all the actors it did bother me. They looked a bit grubbier in the coming attractions at least.
    Quite a few items didn't sit well with me in episode 1:
    - Why are the militia using muskets? I understand the crossbows, but shouldn't they be able to use more modern weapons?
    - Finding the brother within seconds of reaching Chicago.
    - The fight scene in the hotel was seriously hokey.
    - Why would the men in the airplane drink anything given to them by their hostages?
    - Why does Nathan come back to save the daughter? It seems that the Militia guy likes her and we'll see more to that relationship later.

I was intrigued a bit by the power from the little dongle, but the rest doesn't really interest me. I think they got into the guts of the show a bit too early. I think they should have done a little more setting up the story. They'll surely use flashbacks to provide alot of that info to you as the story moves along (which they have already done quite a bit of).

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFurious View Post
      Quite a few items didn't sit well with me in episode 1:
      - Why are the militia using muskets? I understand the crossbows, but shouldn't they be able to use more modern weapons?
      - Finding the brother within seconds of reaching Chicago.
      - The fight scene in the hotel was seriously hokey.
      - Why would the men in the airplane drink anything given to them by their hostages?
      - Why does Nathan come back to save the daughter? It seems that the Militia guy likes her and we'll see more to that relationship later.

I was intrigued a bit by the power from the little dongle, but the rest doesn't really interest me. I think they got into the guts of the show a bit too early. I think they should have done a little more setting up the story. They'll surely use flashbacks to provide alot of that info to you as the story moves along (which they have already done quite a bit of).
      Yeah the muskets were completely bizarre. That made no sense at all.

Some more stupid moments that I can recall ... I won't even go into the stupid Chicago scenes ...

[[
      - The male Disney kid who escapes from the cart just happens to wander onto the black lady's property, who's son just happens to also be an asthma sufferer, who also just happens to one of the few people left alive involved with the mysterious black out.
      - Black lady powers up her circa 1970's homemade computer ... surely it would have been easier to find one of the millions of desktops of laptops that would have been left lying around. Anther stupid musket moment.
      - The two Disney kids jump into an overturned overgrown camper van that has presumably been lying there for 15 years ... not a spec of dust inside ... well until asthma suffering Disney kid opens a sealed container
      - The google guy jumps on onto the plane that has been sitting in the open for 15 years, and expects to find "meds" ... the only shock is that he didn't come out with a box full of antibiotics.
      - The militia spend months looking for this one guy, and one of the henchmen just shoots him with a musket.

]]

Comment

• Keep In mind this was the Pilot so they had to put a lot of plots and characters into one 40 minute episode. I started watching it with my wife and she said this is kind of a rip off of the Hunger Games.

I did see the movie and even the scene with the girl with the cross bow was exactly like the scenes in the movie.

I watched the episode and will watch again to see it goes anywhere. That said, I have been suckered into a few of these shows like Heroes and they get cancelled or get real bad real quick.

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
          Keep In mind this was the Pilot so they had to put a lot of plots and characters into one 40 minute episode. I started watching it with my wife and she said this is kind of a rip off of the Hunger Games.

I did see the movie and even the scene with the girl with the cross bow was exactly like the scenes in the movie.

I watched the episode and will watch again to see it goes anywhere. That said, I have been suckered into a few of these shows like Heroes and they get cancelled or get real bad real quick.
          Yeah the Hunger Games thing occurred to me as well ... especially when the Disney kids bumped into the male model with the bow. I wouldn't be surprised if the show was being molded to try and attract that demographic. People seemed to like Hunger Games, so I suppose it might work. Realism is clearly not the goal.

Comment

• So, watched the pilot for Revolution. Agree with the above points, as well as:
            - there's no alternative forms of energy? What about steam? Surely in 15 years the smartest engineers in the world, with a 2012+ education, can harness steam, oil, nuclear power, whatever, to do SOMETHING.
            - isn't electricity the easiest form of energy to get? It gets shot from the sky EVERY DAY somewhere.
            - no idea why muskets have returned. They use the same gunpowder as bullets. It seems like the loss of electricity has led to a total loss of thought. No idea why.

Comment

• SM Stirling's "Emberverse" has been tagged as the model for this show, in the novels, basically the laws of physics have shifted so that combustion happens at a much higher tempature (or it might be lower, im not sure), gunpowder wont work, no gasoline distillate will work in a combistion engine, and the max that you can get out of a steam engine is about half a horsepower.
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• For Frae: Big BB fan and really enjoyed this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  SM Stirling's "Emberverse" has been tagged as the model for this show, in the novels, basically the laws of physics have shifted so that combustion happens at a much higher tempature (or it might be lower, im not sure), gunpowder wont work, no gasoline distillate will work in a combistion engine, and the max that you can get out of a steam engine is about half a horsepower.
                  That sounds like a really interesting concept for a series ... if it only i had some proper producers and writers. I think I'm going to start developing a prejudice against good looking young people ... I'm old enough for that now.

JJ Abrahms has become a bit like Spielberg ... attaching his name to a lot of projects where he is only tangentially related ... and they end up sucking. At least that is my impression. He should probably be a bit more selective (or involved) like Scorcese and ... errrrrr ... Marky Mark.

Comment

• Saw that the complete box set of Oz was reduced to £30 at the local HMV.

It is worth watching? Has some good reviews. I watched the first episode a long time ago and it didn't really click at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Saw that the complete box set of Oz was reduced to £30 at the local HMV.

It is worth watching? Has some good reviews. I watched the first episode a long time ago and it didn't really click at the time.
                      It should fill your need to see more penis since you finished spartacus....
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I thought it was decent, but got a little soap opera like at times. I think I stopped following it at some point.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          I thought it was decent, but got a little soap opera like at times. I think I stopped following it at some point.
                          Yep, same here...and by 'soap opera' I mean a guaranteed murder in every episode.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• a dropping the soap opera as it were?
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                              For Frae: Big BB fan and really enjoyed this season.
                              Glad to find someone else out there enjoying this guilty pleasure. Ian played a pretty good game, but I was disappointed Dan didn't win. From everything we saw he ran the game, but he lost the last HOH. I think he wins against Danielle, but I did enjoy the season quite a bit.

Comment

• Parks an Rec is back ... surprisingly the ratings have fallen slightly every year, despite getting better and better. Glad to see NBC are sticking with it despite so-so ratings.

Comment

Working...
                                X