Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Also, HBO fans -- Hung was cancelled. Too bad, it was just hitting its stride, and the latest season left off on a cliffhanger that I guess will never be resolved.
    That sucks ... was a really entertaining show.

Any scene with Rebecca Creskoff (aka Lenore) was the highlight for me ...

Comment

Also, HBO fans -- Hung was cancelled. Too bad, it was just hitting its stride, and the latest season left off on a cliffhanger that I guess will never be resolved.
      The first season was great, the second not quite as good, the third lost its way. What made the series work in the first two seasons was Drecker's Clark Kent/Superman character. The character needed the anchor of being a struggling teacher to make the audience care. Fixing his half burned down house, living in a tent, in a declining city... we were pulling for this guy. The third season was about shoeboxes of money, pimp vs pimp, old vs young, and very little Clark Kent. And that weird Jessica sidestory.

I wish they'd give us a one hour series finale just for closure.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        I think I'm losing interest in Hell On Wheels. It started off promising ... but has completely lost any edge it had. I'll probably watch last nights episode, only because there was nothing else on.
        with nothing else on, we finally got through that episode that had us bored and then knocked out the next five....while nothing earth-shattering, I have to say I do like this series, am looking forward to Sunday's season finale and glad it got renewed for season 2.

Comment

• I just watched this past season of Curb Your Enthusiasm and as usual it rocked. Best show on TV.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Michael Palin's BBC Series "New Europe" set the standard for me...

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Just got through the first 2.5 seasons of Community ... seasons 2 & 3 are golden.

Cancelling this show would mean no more Abed and Troy ... this cannot be allowed to happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Dude, just finished this season. What a f*cking awesome season finale. That was some great watchin' there.
                It's weird ... I thought it was terrific. But on another site I kept running into fanboys who did nothing but slam it because of the behind the scenes turmoil and budget cuts (Darabont eventually being fired etc). I don't think the slower pace, and fewer big budget set pieces did anything to harm the flow, in fact I think the slower pace helped to build up to that finale. And i'm not going to exclusively take the Darabont/fanboy position here, because AMC have been brilliant these last few years at producing the highest quality drama (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) ... I'm gonna have a bit of faith that they will do the right thing and develop the story in an authentic and proper way.

Besides ... IMO less is more when it comes to the Zombies. It's gonna get boring if it's just one set piece Zombie bash every week.

Comment

• wow, had no idea that Darabont had been fired.

If any of you guys liked shows like Dogfights or Battlefield 360, then the new season of Greatest Tank Battles on the Military Channel is for you. They recreate battles using CG with expert/participant testimony. I don't believe the Military Channel is in HD, so that would be the only concern.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Who is Darabont?
                    Frank Darabont directed The Shawkshank Redemption and The Green Mile, and was the executive producer of The Walking Dead (as well as writing and directing the pilot).

Just found this article about the proposed opening to season 2 ... which sounds like it would have been awesome:

Dotdash Meredith is America's largest digital and print publisher, with brands including PEOPLE, Better Homes & Gardens, Allrecipes, Investopedia, Verywell, and more! Learn about career opportunities, our leadership team, and how we can help you reach audiences across our network of trusted brands.

Comment

wow, had no idea that Darabont had been fired.

If any of you guys liked shows like Dogfights or Battlefield 360, then the new season of Greatest Tank Battles on the Military Channel is for you. They recreate battles using CG with expert/participant testimony. I don't believe the Military Channel is in HD, so that would be the only concern.
                      Is the Military Channel related to the History Channel ... that would be another concern

With US documentaries, I have a policy of only downloading PBS shows ... which are always top quality.

Recently I've seen PBS's excellent Prohibition series, and another four part series called The Fabric of the Cosmos which is an introductory to modern physics, without being too dumbed down or condescending ... and it was entertaining. Both highly recommended.

Comment

wow, had no idea that Darabont had been fired.

The first seasons Is available on Netflix streaming
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Frank Darabont directed The Shawkshank Redemption and The Green Mile, and was the executive producer of The Walking Dead (as well as writing and directing the pilot).

Just found this article about the proposed opening to season 2 ... which sounds like it would have been awesome:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/09/fr...season-2-plan/
                          Yep, I'd love to see the military getting overwhelmed, very World War Z, which is a book I'd recommend to anyone enjoying the walking dead.....I'm reading Kirklands "Rise of the Governor" right now which would only have meaning if you've been reading the walking dead graphic novels (10x better than the series) instead of the show
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I re-watched The Firm last week, due to the new TV series that is set 10 years after the events of the movie. Pretty good ... it has a great cast, but I'm not 100% convince they match up so well with the characters in the movie. The young Tom Cruise character was a bit manic and edgy, his wife was panicky and scared. The TV versions are on sedatives I think ... it might be better to read the book then watch the series ... that might make more sense.

It's still pretty good though.

Comment

I re-watched The Firm last week, due to the new TV series that is set 10 years after the events of the movie. Pretty good ... it has a great cast, but I'm not 100% convince they match up so well with the characters in the movie. The young Tom Cruise character was a bit manic and edgy, his wife was panicky and scared. The TV versions are on sedatives I think ... it might be better to read the book then watch the series ... that might make more sense.

It's still pretty good though.
                              It's not bad, I think. I think it would have worked better if they just made new characters instead of relying on people to actually remember details from the movie/book. Seems like it's just a legal procedural wrapped with the chase scenes. I like most of the cast except Juliette Lewis so I'll watch it for now, at least until the more interesting shows start up.

Comment

• Finally checked out "Homeland." Ended up watching the season in about a week. I've never been a Claire Danes fan, but she was superb and the guy who plays Brody was great, too (and no hint of a British accent!). I did think the first half of the season was quite a bit better than the second, and my suspicion is that the next season(s) won't be nearly as good as this first one, but we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X