Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
    completely bored by this show. I'll probably watch through the end of the season, but if it doesn't get any better, I'm dropping it.
    I've got three taking up space on my DVR. I'll watch them at some point, but I'm not highly motivated.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Did anyone watch the HBO sneak peak of Luck? I DVR'ed it but didn't get to watch it yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
        Did anyone watch the HBO sneak peak of Luck? I DVR'ed it but didn't get to watch it yet.
        Yeah ... looks promising. Great cast.

Comment

• The climax to Homeland was good ... if a bit contrived. It was obvious what wasn't going to happen, it was just a question if they could pull it off and retain credibility. I really like the Saul Berenson character ... he gives the series a real sense of gravity.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            The climax to Homeland was good ... if a bit contrived. It was obvious what wasn't going to happen, it was just a question if they could pull it off and retain credibility. I really like the Saul Berenson character ... he gives the series a real sense of gravity.
            Yeah, obviously he couldn't off himself in season one, and I kinda like the way it played out.

What did everyone think of Dexter? I didn't think it was a bad season, nor was it a great season. Not sure I like the way La Guerta or Quinn were used, and the incest angle didn't work for me (especially since these two just divorced in real life!) Some other plotlines went nowhere (Mathews/call girl, the interns/stealing serial killer items, the nanny), and in the end, it seemed like the Brother Sam plot did nothing. Anyway, Dexter's like pizza -- it's never bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Yeah, obviously he couldn't off himself in season one, and I kinda like the way it played out.

What did everyone think of Dexter? I didn't think it was a bad season, nor was it a great season. Not sure I like the way La Guerta or Quinn were used, and the incest angle didn't work for me (especially since these two just divorced in real life!) Some other plotlines went nowhere (Mathews/call girl, the interns/stealing serial killer items, the nanny), and in the end, it seemed like the Brother Sam plot did nothing. Anyway, Dexter's like pizza -- it's never bad.
              No comments on Dexter?

Comment

No comments on Dexter?
                I agree, this season wasn't the best and Colin Hanks just wasn't menacing enough. I'd probably rank season 6 ahead of 3 & 5 but behind 1/2/4. There were definitely some weak eps (like Dexter going manic and taking that trip to Nebraska) but I thought the final two were great. Plus I think they killed Brother Sam off too soon. However, I disagree on the incest angle and I actually predicted here that this would happen (not sure which thread, maybe this one or back on the old site, can't recall). It sets up nicely for next season but I'm not sure how it stretches out for two more.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• There's been a lot of incest floating about this year, first Boardwalk, now Dexter ... although not sure this is technically incest.

That was a nice spanner at the end. I wonder how he'll squirm out of that one ... it's not like he can claim self defense.

The second half of the season was good, but the first half just didn't hold together for me. I liked Brother Sam, but it turned out a bit pointless.

Comment

• Anyone been watching American Horror Story? I saw part of the first episode ... it looked halfway decent.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Anyone been watching American Horror Story? I saw part of the first episode ... it looked halfway decent.
                      It's a fun (insane) show to watch with half your brain turned off. It's not campy like True Blood. I thought it was entertaining even if the story was over the top and there were maybe a bit too many characters. I wasn't crazy about yesterday's finale, but the episodes before it were nuts (in a good way, I think).

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                        Did anyone watch the HBO sneak peak of Luck? I DVR'ed it but didn't get to watch it yet.
                        I finally watched this last night. As an avid horse racing fan, I hope it gets better. As Johnny mentioned, the cast is stellar, and the production team of David Milch and Michael Mann is certainly top-notch, but it was cliched and predictable.

I'll give it a go come January, but I hope it improves.

Comment

• I thought the first episode was OK-- good acting hampered by tired writing. I agree with Ed-- not off the DVR list yet, but it's going to have to improve. Right now my major question is, "What was Dustin Hoffman thinking"?
                          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Agreed that it wasn't bad, but I think it was easily their worst season. I was really hoping that the Brother Sam line would develop into the major theme of the season but they pretty much just abandoned it. Every year I watch the final episode and wonder how the writers are even going to work their way into the next season, and Debra finally seeing what Dexter is while falling in love with him is no exception. The best I can say is they've certainly left me wanting more, so mission accomplished, writers
                            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                              Agreed that it wasn't bad, but I think it was easily their worst season. I was really hoping that the Brother Sam line would develop into the major theme of the season but they pretty much just abandoned it. Every year I watch the final episode and wonder how the writers are even going to work their way into the next season, and Debra finally seeing what Dexter is while falling in love with him is no exception. The best I can say is they've certainly left me wanting more, so mission accomplished, writers
                              Yeah, after thinking about it further, it definitely was the worst season of the show. That still makes it better than 90% of the other dreck out there, but it was disappointing. I read an article on EW that basically says as much.

Also, HBO fans -- Hung was cancelled. Too bad, it was just hitting its stride, and the latest season left off on a cliffhanger that I guess will never be resolved.

Comment

• Justified Returns Jan 17th

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X