Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I was holding off on Disney+, but now I see it comes with ESPN+ and G-League basketball, I may have to revisit!
    I held off (I had a Disney+ trial and found it very underwhelming) but finally bought the package last month. I like ESPN+ more than I thought I would, especially the Saturday night MMA fights, although it's ridiculous that there isn't a watchlist capability. Hulu kinda sucks ass, but we really like The Handmaid's Tale. There's no way I'm paying an extra $7 a month just for no commercials on Hulu, but having the commercials really blows.

I have a bunch of the streamers, here's how I would rate them:

HBO Max: A+
    - great original content (including the DC Universe), the monthly new movies, and access to the HBO catalog

Netflix: B
    - obviously was the top dog for a long time, but the original content is becoming more like straight to video crap. They don't seem to be adding any of the movies that went to theaters. It kinda sucks to see them pitch 10-15 year old movies as if they're enticing ("Oooh, Invictus!)

Amazon Prime: B-
    - Coming to America II is a huge score, and they do have some good shows & original movies (Jack Ryan, Bosch, Borat etc) but it seems like they drip out new content infrequently. They also don't add too many movies that hit theaters in the last 10 years. I did find that they have a good catalog of old TV shows, if you like that sort of thing (Rockford Files, the Dean Martin Roasts, Tenspeed and Brownshoe, lol)

ESPN+: B-
    - MMA fights, additional NCAA Basketball and NHL games, some decent shows like Peyton's Places and the entire catalog of 30 for 30. It's not bad as an enticer to get the upgraded Disney package. But no watchlist capabilities. An entry level coder could fix that in a day. Come on Boomer!

Apple TV+: C-
    - a couple of good movies like Greyhound, and some good shows like For All Mankind and Ted Lasso (which is merely OK), but also a verrry limited catalog of about 30 titles. That's it. If I didn't get it included with a recent iPad purchase, I would not buy it. #thanksSteveJobs

Disney Plus: C-
    - obviously, it's great for kids who are into Disney/Pixar. But if you're like me, my kids don't give a lick about Disney movies, and have already seen all the Marvel movies, so it's all about new content -- of which there is very little besides WandaVision. Maybe that changes, but for now, meh.

Showtime: D
    - Billions, Homeland, Ray Donovan, and a few others. I haven't found their recent shows to be much of anything. I usually do a mid-year switcheroo with HBO, probably will be terminating this soon.

Hulu: D-
    - some good original content like The Handmaid's Tale and Castle Rock, but you're forced to endure commercials or be blackmailed for additional $7 a month. And I thought for a long time they had virtually every TV show on earth in their catalog. They don't. Not even close. They only have about 20-25 old TV series per network. Big whoop. And not sure I want to watch episodes of "Taxi" with commercials, exactly how I did 40 years ago. What's next, paying for color?

Comment

• That's a whole lotta TV! Amazon Prime also has The Boys, which is entertaining, if not life changing.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        That's a whole lotta TV! Amazon Prime also has The Boys, which is entertaining, if not life changing.
        Yup, The Boys is great.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Yup, The Boys is great.
          Loved Season 1. Was not as impressed with Season 2....the wife and I quit after about episode 5.
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• The Expanse is really good on Amazon Prime.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              The Expanse is really good on Amazon Prime.
              Is it? Loved, loved, loved the books but never watched the show. I thought it got cancelled or something.....
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Is it? Loved, loved, loved the books but never watched the show. I thought it got cancelled or something.....
                It's really good. There are five seasons so far and a sixth on the way. I didn't know it was based on books.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I know I posted this before, but For All Mankind on Apple TV+ is great. Second season just came out.

Into Season 3 of The Handmaid’s Tale and it is crazzzeee.

Just finished Ted Lasso and it was OK, nothing spectacular.

Young Rock is cool, especially if you were a wrestling fan in the 1980s. Some of the cast of characters include Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, the Samoans, the Iron Sheik, and of course, Rocky Johnson.

Comment

i think it moved from SciFi to Amazon Prime.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I know I posted this before, but For All Mankind on Apple TV+ is great. Second season just came out.

Into Season 3 of The Handmaid’s Tale and it is crazzzeee.

Just finished Ted Lasso and it was OK, nothing spectacular.

Young Rock is cool, especially if you were a wrestling fan in the 1980s. Some of the cast of characters include Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, the Samoans, the Iron Sheik, and of course, Rocky Johnson.
                      My wife and I love Ted Lasso. It's fun and super funny.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+ is the latest Marvel show and it's great. It's more straightforward than Wandavision, so you really don't need to know much about the Marvel MCU besides a few key plot points.

Comment

• Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+ is the latest Marvel show and it's great. It's more straightforward than Wandavision, so you really don't need to know much about the Marvel MCU besides a few key plot points.

Comment

Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+ is the latest Marvel show and it's great. It's more straightforward than Wandavision, so you really don't need to know much about the Marvel MCU besides a few key plot points.
                            Fool me once, shame on you...

Really disliked Wandavision, and not knowing anything about the MCU made the entire production annoying. Episodes felt like they were made up of 20 mins of garbage, 4 mins to keep you interested, and 8 mins of credits to wait through for the next teaser. Not enough meat on the bone.

I also love Kathryn Hahn in other stuff (particularly Transparent), but this was eye-roll inducing over the top acting that really irritated me for the final few episodes. I think the direction of this was awful to produce such bad performances. The girl from 2 Broke Girls was also bad, consistently. I know it's a Disney production, but the entire tone was grating in a way that I don't normally get from well produced family films or TV.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I'm a big fan of Ted Lasso. It's a lot more wholesome than I usually like my entertainment, but it was great timing last year to have one little slice of positivity in my life during all the election stress. Once you get past the first episode the characters come to life and it's just a fun, easy ride.

I just finished the first season of Euphoria on HBO -- talk about the polar opposite. But I thought it was really well done.

I'm a big MCU fan -- it's my childhood come to life for the most part -- and I struggled with Wandavision. Too thin of a concept. (and I think Kat Dennings is awful, period.) I'm enjoying F&WS more but even there I think the level of cheesiness is a little high... playing up the animosity b/w them with constant clever quips and shit... it veers into crappy sitcom land. Then it has a mullti-million dollar action piece so I forgive them.

Comment

• And speaking of weird shit -- anyone watch Raised by Wolves?

Comment

Working...
                                X