Dealing with a breakup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    I can't tell you what to do in your case, but I can say for certain that eliminating single mothers from the potential dating pool will eliminate a tremendous number of wonderful, caring, beautiful, desirable potential partners.
    Well, yes, but do you think that single mothers are on average more wonderful, caring, beautiful, or desirable? We're on a baseball statistics site here, let's get some critical thinking going. Keep in mind that both Mother Teresa and Hitler were single mothers, so there's a pretty broad range there.

My analysis would be that single mothers are pretty representative of the entire dating pool, with the possible caveats that you already know that they've been in at least one majorly failed relationship (although you don't know how much of that is their fault). In general I think single non-mothers are probably less of a headache for the reasons described in the initial post. So depending on how big you think your pool of dating possibilities is, if you don't think you'll miss the removal of some (relatively small) percentage, I would say go for it.

Also depends on your age and the age of your potential partners, of course -- if you're looking at 40-50 year olds, it's possible that the ones who've never been married have some other major flaws rather than just not having gotten around to it yet, and the percentage of single mothers in that pool might be a bit larger and more relevant.

Single mothers: they're single women, but with kids. Is that a net benefit?

- Mike
    Last edited by mjl; 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Hitler was a single mother?
      I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
        You'd be cranky too if you had to push Hermann Goering out through an opening the size of a bratwurst.
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
          You'd be cranky too if you had to push Hermann Goering out through an opening the size of a bratwurst.
          and then later having to give Jesse Owens 4 gold medals for doing it faster, Poland never had a chance...
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
            It's actually pretty well known among serious WW2 historians. I'm surprised you haven't heard about it. Did you know that Hitler insisted on giving birth via Caesarean because of his respect for the Roman emperor, and the Valkyrie conspiracy was only foiled because he brought his kids to work that day since the day care was closed and they were playing under the conference table where the briefcase with the bomb was hidden?

- Mike
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
              Well, yes, but do you think that single mothers are on average more wonderful, caring, beautiful, or desirable? We're on a baseball statistics site here, let's get some critical thinking going. Keep in mind that both Mother Teresa and Hitler were single mothers, so there's a pretty broad range there.

My analysis would be that single mothers are pretty representative of the entire dating pool, with the possible caveats that you already know that they've been in at least one majorly failed relationship (although you don't know how much of that is their fault). In general I think single non-mothers are probably less of a headache for the reasons described in the initial post. So depending on how big you think your pool of dating possibilities is, if you don't think you'll miss the removal of some (relatively small) percentage, I would say go for it.

Also depends on your age and the age of your potential partners, of course -- if you're looking at 40-50 year olds, it's possible that the ones who've never been married have some other major flaws rather than just not having gotten around to it yet, and the percentage of single mothers in that pool might be a bit larger and more relevant.

Single mothers: they're single women, but with kids. Is that a net benefit?

- Mike
              It would seem to me that one of the issues in dating single mothers is that you have to expect that their children must come first, always. Well at least until they are full grown. If you are a strong enough man to handle that, dating will be easier. If not stay away.

Comment

Working...
              X