No announcement yet.

Battlestar Galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of another series this good? Doesnt matter if its old... I really miss having something to watch that I look forward to.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      Anyone know of another series this good? Doesnt matter if its old... I really miss having something to watch that I look forward to.
      Trying to think of things you might not have seen (pretty sure you know about the great US series):

I have started watching Luther ... starring Idris Elba (Stringer Bell from The Wire). It's a UK series ... he plays a psychologically tormented detective, who is completely off the rails, and doesn't much care about the consequences of his actions. It's the best UK series I have seen in a long time ... very gritty, and gruesome in places. I think yanks might like it better because of the "difference" factor.

8.5 on IMDB and 82% on Metacritic (both very high if you want some perspective)

And I'll refer anyone who cares to listen to the TV Thread for my thoughts on Forbrydelsen, which has an 8.3 rating on IMDB. 20 1 hour episodes, and subtitled, so not for the casual viewer.

There was also a Battlestar wannabe series last year from the BBC called Outcasts ... started promising, with some nods to Battlestar ... then got lazy with the scripting and stupid with the plot, and that always loses me. But if you love hard sci-fi ... might be worth checking out. 6.2 on IMDB is about right IMO.
      Last edited by johnnya24; 07-03-2011, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Trying to think of things you might not have seen (pretty sure you know about the great US series):

I have started watching Luther ... starring Idris Elba (Stringer Bell from The Wire). It's a UK series ... he plays a psychologically tormented detective, who is completely off the rails, and doesn't much care about the consequences of his actions. It's the best UK series I have seen in a long time ... very gritty, and gruesome in places. I think yanks might like it better because of the "difference" factor.

8.5 on IMDB and 82% on Metacritic (both very high if you want some perspective)

And I'll refer anyone who cares to listen to the TV Thread for my thoughts on Forbrydelsen, which has an 8.3 rating on IMDB. 20 1 hour episodes, and subtitled, so not for the casual viewer.

There was also a Battlestar wannabe series last year from the BBC called Outcasts ... started promising, with some nods to Battlestar ... then got lazy with the scripting and stupid with the plot, and that always loses me. But if you love hard sci-fi ... might be worth checking out. 6.2 on IMDB is about right IMO.
        Thanks for the recommendations. I dont watch a lot of tv anymore, and rarely anything outside the major networks (abc, cbs, nbc, fox) so you'd be surprised about how many good tv series I've missed. We'll probably start watching Mad Men season 1 in a couple months as it seems very much like a fall type of show to watch.

Right now I'm watching Spartacus, which is crap dressed up in lots of nudity and violence, and Eastbound and Down, which is also crap, dressed up in a fat jerk which makes it even worse.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I dont watch a lot of tv anymore, and rarely anything outside the major networks (abc, cbs, nbc, fox) so you'd be surprised about how many good tv series I've missed. We'll probably start watching Mad Men season 1 in a couple months as it seems very much like a fall type of show to watch.

Right now I'm watching Spartacus, which is crap dressed up in lots of nudity and violence, and Eastbound and Down, which is also crap, dressed up in a fat jerk which makes it even worse.
          I abandoned Spartacus after 1 episode. The first series of Eastbound was great ... the second was utter rubbish.

Mad Men is terrific ... if a little slow at times.

I would also point you towards Breaking Bad and Dexter. They are definitely worth catching up on also.

Comment

Rome, Deadwood, The Shield, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are what I'd recommend....
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              Rome, Deadwood, The Shield, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are what I'd recommend....
              Rome = Outstanding

Deadwood = Best western on TV after maybe Lonesome Dove; maybe.

It's Always Sunny = A completely F*cked up show that is consistently hilarious. For some reason I can't watch this show every week, but whenever I catch it, it cracks me up.
              “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
              -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

thanks for the ideas... I'm going to read up on Rome and Deadwood while I try a few more eps of Spartacus/Eastbound in an attempt to finish what I started.

Comment

I didn't realise that Falling Skies had started ... judging from the reviews, it isn't crash hot. But I'll give it a shot.

I've given up on True Blood until I hear otherwise.

Comment

I didn't realise that Falling Skies had started ... judging from the reviews, it isn't crash hot. But I'll give it a shot.

I've given up on True Blood until I hear otherwise.
                    I'm interested in Falling Skies also, but I always wait until I know there will be a second season before I jump in. I'll probably break that rule for that new travel back in time dino show this fall...

Comment

I'm interested in Falling Skies also, but I always wait until I know there will be a second season before I jump in. I'll probably break that rule for that new travel back in time dino show this fall...
                      Ratings are high, so it seems likely ... BUT ... it is shockingly poor in terms of acting, dialogue, storyline, plot, coherence & common sense.

Imagine those b-movie monsters, some late 1980's CGI, and the worst parts of Jericho ... and you have Falling Skies.

These days Spielberg's name seems like it's nothing more than a cheap and easy marketing tool for garbage.

... oh and I forgot the worst part ... BAD child actors.
                      Last edited by johnnya24; 07-04-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Ratings are high, so it seems likely ... BUT ... it is shockingly poor in terms of acting, dialogue, storyline, plot, coherence & common sense.

Imagine those b-movie monsters, some late 1980's CGI, and the worst parts of Jericho ... and you have Falling Skies.

These days Spielberg's name seems like it's nothing more than a cheap and easy marketing tool for garbage.

... oh and I forgot the worst part ... BAD child actors.
                        From what I've read, Falling Skies is a good bet to get renewed for a second season. It's ok, so far - there's some potential there. There are some moments that remind me of BSG (it's not nearly as good but maybe the camerawork or something reminds me of it).

Anyone have any thoughts on this new upcoming Torchwood series? I never watched the other series, so have no idea what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                          Anyone have any thoughts on this new upcoming Torchwood series? I never watched the other series, so have no idea what to expect.
                          That is already more than I had heard.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

had my first human dogfight in the free battlestar galactica mmo game. a level 16 viper was flying in one of our systems and im a level 6 raider. i just started playing it. i attacked with a long range missile to get his attention and then he just turned and took down 9/10 of my life. so instead of getting shot in the back running, i turned and got surprisingly close to him w/o dying. then it was a contest to see who get get behind who. i built my cylon on maneuverability. stuck on him like a tick. took him down to a sliver of hull too and then once i realized i almost had him i got excited and lost control of my ship and he killed me. it was fracking awesome.
                            Last edited by ; 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Free bsg mmo? I gotta check that out.
                              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                                had my first human dogfight in the free battlestar galactica mmo game. a level 16 viper was flying in one of our systems and im a level 6 raider. i just started playing it. i attacked with a long range missile to get his attention and then he just turned and took down 9/10 of my life. so instead of getting shot in the back running, i turned and got surprisingly close to him w/o dying. then it was a contest to see who get get behind who. i built my cylon on maneuverability. stuck on him like a tick. took him down to a sliver of hull too and then once i realized i almost had him i got excited and lost control of my ship and he killed me. it was fracking awesome.
                                nice move Scar....
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X