No announcement yet.

Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lucky family with two awesome picks. "After..." has always been in my top 5 Neil tunes. Another of his songs that transports my mind to another place when i hear it.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 2.02 Pocahontas (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)

Way back when I made a cassette mix from all my college roommate's Neil albums, filled it with my favorites, called it "Rust". It filtered down to both my brothers eventually; that tape kicked around between us for years. This brings back good memories of the three of us working summers house-building in upstate New York, shirts off, up on roofs, beat-up old tape deck covered in plaster and sawdust. My older brother Chris thought 'Pocahontas' was the greatest song ever... I didn't argue.
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Damn, Rust Never Sleeps was one of the albums I was going to lean on heavily but apparently all the songs will be gone by the time my second pick rolls around! "Pocahontas" is another favorite of mine, but there's at least a couple more songs off that album I'll hopefully get.

Comment

• 2.03 - down by the river

i implore you to watch this clip - neil playing it live, just him and his distorted electric guitar. so epic.

~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• [QUOTE=Cobain's Ghost;27676]2.03 - down by the river

Oh no...Lucky will be disappointed this one is gone.

Comment

• 2.04 - "Harvest Moon" (1992, Harvest Moon)

Not one of the most "important" songs in Neil's catalog, but damn does this song make me happy. It didn't occur to me until I saw the Heart of Gold documentary a couple years back that the sound in the background is an actual broom being swept across the floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                2.03 - down by the river

i implore you to watch this clip - neil playing it live, just him and his distorted electric guitar. so epic.
                Aarrrggghhhh!

I am really surprised at what has come off the board so early. Each of the Big Three guitar extravaganzas (Cortez, Hurricane, River) go in the first eleven picks!

This was the debate with the missus. Cortez and Hurricane came off before we had a shot. Oh, well. That shows how many great Neil Young tunes there are out there, but it also shows that we are drafting against some hard core Neil fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Aarrrggghhhh!

I am really surprised at what has come off the board so early. Each of the Big Three guitar extravaganzas (Cortez, Hurricane, River) go in the first eleven picks!

This was the debate with the missus. Cortez and Hurricane came off before we had a shot. Oh, well. That shows how many great Neil Young tunes there are out there, but it also shows that we are drafting against some hard core Neil fans.
                  i'm a wildcard in this draft because i have no sense of when songs "should" get taken, i just pick my favorite available song when it's my turn. obviously i like "dark and disturbed" neil, so there's a tell for you.
                  ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

i'm a wildcard in this draft because i have no sense of when songs "should" get taken, i just pick my favorite available song when it's my turn. obviously i like "dark and disturbed" neil, so there's a tell for you.
                    Wildcard with good taste. Into the Black and Down By The River are certainly tap into that dark streak, which produces some of his best stuff.

Comment

2.03 - down by the river
                      Great pick ... was top of my list for 2.06.

Comment

2.03 - down by the river

Well that takes care of my second favorite Neil Young song. Number 3 is still available!

He shot her DEAD!!

Whenever a reference to a river comes up, be it TV, radio, etc...I always sing "I shot my baby" and my wife looks at me like i'm insane.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          Well that takes care of my second favorite Neil Young song. Number 3 is still available!

He shot her DEAD!!
                          The one time I saw old Neil Live, Down By the River was the highlight for me ... he played Heart of Gold and Old Man back to back ... then kicked straight into Down By The River ... it doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                            Aarrrggghhhh!

yeah but there's still at least two big guitar songs left!!

Comment

2.03 - down by the river
                              Bastard. I thought you were taking all '90s stuff?

There are so many epic DBTRs, but one that stands out for me is Farm Aid '98 with Phish. Insanity.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                Great pick ... was top of my list for 2.06.
                                I would have grabbed it at 2.05.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X