Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
    I remember that, from the 'Rust Never Sleeps' movie. It was mocked up like a bird, an eagle or something.
    It was still being used that way on the 1991 tour. I think on the 2007 tour too.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• My Neil shows, from the setlist archive at sugarmtn.org:

1991-02-05, Civic Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
      w/ Crazy Horse
      Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Crime In The City / Blowin' In The Wind / Love To Burn / Cinnamon Girl / Days That Used To Be / F*!#in' Up / Cortez The Killer / Powderfinger / Love And Only Love / Rockin' In The Free World // Welfare Mothers / Like A Hurricane

1996-08-16, Sony Music Entertainment Center, Camden, New Jersey, USA
      w/ Crazy Horse
      Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Sedan Delivery / Big Time / Slip Away / The Needle And The Damage Done / Heart Of Gold / Sugar Mountain / Cinnamon Girl / F*!#in' Up / Cortez The Killer / Music Arcade / Like A Hurricane // This Town / Welfare Mothers / Rockin' In The Free World // Roll Another Number

1999-04-22, Theatre at Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA
      Solo
      Tell Me Why / Looking Forward / War Of Man / Out Of Control / Dreamin' Man / Razor Love / Pocahontas / Philadelphia / Homegrown / Daddy Went Walkin' // Distant Camera / Ambulance Blues / Old King / Long May You Run / Harvest Moon / The Needle And The Damage Done / Slowpoke / After The Gold Rush // Good To See You / Heart Of Gold // Down By The River / I Am A Child

1999-04-24, Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, USA
      Solo
      Tell Me Why / Looking Forward / War Of Man / Out Of Control / Albuquerque / World On A String / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Philadelphia / Love Is A Rose / Daddy Went Walkin' // Distant Camera / The Last Trip To Tulsa / Southern Pacific / Old Man / Long May You Run / Harvest Moon / Slowpoke / The Needle And The Damage Done / After The Gold Rush // Good To See You / Red Sun / Sugar Mountain // Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

^^^ This one is known in Neil fanatic circles as the "Shut Up A$$#ole" show, after Neil's response to an obnoxious guy in the crowd.

2000-03-20, First Union Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
      w/ Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
      Carry On / Southern Man / Stand And Be Counted / Pre-Road Downs / Heartland / 49 Bye-Byes / Slowpoke / Marrakesh Express / Faith In Me / Almost Cut My Hair / Cinnamon Girl // Helplessly Hoping / Our House / Old Man / Dream For Him / Someday Soon / Looking Forward / After The Gold Rush / Guinnevere / Out Of Control / Seen Enough / Teach Your Children // Woodstock / Long Time Gone / Ohio / Love The One You're With / Down By The River // For What It's Worth / Rockin' In The Free World

2000-08-09, Sony Music Entertainment Center, Camden, New Jersey, USA
      w/ The Friends And Relatives
      Motorcycle Mama / Powderfinger / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / I Believe In You / Unknown Legend / Dance Dance Dance / Buffalo Springfield Again / Razor Love / Lotta Love / Daddy Went Walkin' / Peace Of Mind / Walk On / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / Winterlong / Words / Harvest Moon / World On A String / Tonight's The Night // Like A Hurricane // Mellow My Mind

2002-03-05, First Union Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
      Carry On>Questions / Military Madness / Goin' Home / Wooden Ships / Feed The People / You're My Girl / I Used To Be A King / Southern Man / Southern Cross / Almost Cut My Hair / Cinnamon Girl // Helplessly Hoping / Our House / Old Man / Carry Me / Guinnevere / Harvest Moon / Ole Man Trouble / Half Your Angels / Suite: Judy Blue Eyes // Let's Roll / Long Time Gone / Two Old Friends / Woodstock / Rockin' In The Free World // Eight Miles High / Long May You Run

2003-07-02, Tweeter Center at The Waterfront, Camden, New Jersey, USA
      w/ Crazy Horse
      Falling From Above / Double E / Devil's Sidewalk / Leave The Driving / Carmichael / Bandit / Grandpa's Interview / Bringin' Down Dinner / Sun Green / Be The Rain // Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Sedan Delivery / Prisoners Of Rock 'n' Roll / Powderfinger // Cinnamon Girl / F*!#in' Up

2006-08-12, Nissan Pavilion, Bristow, Virginia, USA
      Flags Of Freedom / Carry On / Wooden Ships / Long Time Gone / Military Madness / After The Garden / Living With War / The Restless Consumer / Shock And Awe / Wounded World / Almost Cut My Hair / Immigration Man / Families / Déjà Vu // Helplessly Hoping / Our House / Only Love Can Break Your Heart / Guinnevere / Milky Way Tonight / Treetop Flyer / Roger And Out / Southbound Train / Ole Man Trouble / Carry Me / Teach Your Children / Southern Cross / Find The Cost Of Freedom // Let's Impeach The President / For What It's Worth / Chicago / Ohio / What Are Their Names / Rockin' In The Free World // Woodstock

2007-12-09, Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, USA
      w/ Ben Keith, Rick Rosas, Ralph Molina, Anthony Crawford and Pegi Young
      From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Sad Movies / A Man Needs A Maid / Mexico / No One Seems To Know / Harvest / Journey Through The Past / After The Gold Rush / Mellow My Mind / Love Art Blues / Campaigner / Cowgirl In The Sand // The Loner / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / Winterlong / Oh, Lonesome Me / The Believer / No Hidden Path // Cinnamon Girl / Like A Hurricane

2008-12-16, Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA
      Neil Young & His Electric Band
      Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Powderfinger / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Oh, Lonesome Me / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Light A Candle / Cough Up The Bucks / Fuel Line / Hit The Road / Get Around / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Get Back To The Country / Off The Road / When Worlds Collide / Just Singing A Song / Cowgirl In The Sand / Rockin' In The Free World // Get Behind The Wheel / A Day In The Life
      Last edited by Erik; 06-22-2011, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        One of my personal favorite compilations is called "Cortez the Killer". It's three full discs. Three discs of "Cortez the Killer", featuring three decades of live versions. I love it. I'll fire it up on Saturday mornings. My wife hates it.
        Cortez the Killer has been played live 482 times. Tell your wife she's lucky that you're only exposing her to less than 1% of those!

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          It's rare for songs to put you so in the moment that you actually feel a bit anxious.
          Heck, Neil's got one that frightens the hell out of me. Maybe I'll be able to get it later on.

Comment

Cortez...my favorite Neil Young song, and yet another from the superb 3.14.91 show.
            If this is the show you're looking for, not only do I not have it, it looks like a recording of it doesn't exist, as there is no setlist for it on sugarmtn.org, the only show from that tour for which that is the case.

Comment

• 1.06 - hey, hey, my, my (into the black)

bad-ass!

~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• 1.07 A Man Needs A Maid (Harvest, 1972)

Not just my favorite from Neil, but from just about anyone. Stripping it down to just the piano part, it could make Beethoven cry:

Although nothing compares to orchestrated original. And a man really does need a maid. You should have seen some of my apartments back in the day.
                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• I much prefer the solo piano versions of Maid to the orchestrated version on Harvest, which I find to be over the top. Such stark vulnerability when he does it by himself, esp. on the 1971 solo tour.

It is probably the most misinterpreted song in his catalog. It's about being so helpless that you need someone else to help you get your act together.

Harvest takes the early lead for first album to be completed -- but will anyone dare take There's a World?

Comment

• Funny story (at least it was when it happened) from about 1979. I was in the 8th grade and was hanging out with two of my friends. The one friend was into Neil Young so he asked the other friend "Do you like Neil Young?". The friend answered "I don't know, does he like me?". He thought Neil Young was a new student that he hadn't met yet. It was hilarious to me and my friend at the time.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                      1.06 - hey, hey, my, my (into the black)

bad-ass!

Friend of mine back in the late 70's felt this was the "hardest rocking" song in music history. This buddy of mine will be in at least one more Neil Young story.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        Friend of mine back in the late 70's felt this was the "hardest rocking" song in music history.
                        He has a case. I have an interesting story about the loudness of side 2 of RNS that I'll get to at some point.

Comment

• 1.08 After The Gold Rush (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

This is Alice's first pick, and a good one, IMO.

There are some songs which, when I hear them being played, cause me to stop whatever I am doing and listen. This is one of those songs.

Neil claims he doesn't know what this song is about, but I think that is Neil being Neil. This song pulls at so many heart strings, and probably means something different to everyone who hears it. That may be why Neil didn't want to limit it to his own interpretation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            ...will anyone dare take There's a World?
                            One of my favorites! You can't lay orchestration on too thick for me.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

There are some songs which, when I hear them being played, cause me to stop whatever I am doing and listen. This is one of those songs.
                              Ditto. Whenever I hear it live I get chills. I especially love the versions from the 1999 tour where he started it on piano and switched to pump organ halfway through. I could do without all the bikers roaring whenever he sings "and I felt like getting high," though. Come on, the song is 40 years old, lyrics about drugs are no longer a novelty.

Comment

• 2.01 The Needle And The Damage Done (Harvest, 1972)

There is so much truth and reality in Neil's songs, especially the early ones, and this is a prime example. I was hesitant to jump on the Harvest bandwagon, but this one had to be selected.

I am a tremendous fan of Neil's longer, rambling pieces, yet we picked two short songs to start out. They both are so finely crafted, though, that they say all they need to in a very short time.

Comment

Working...
                                X