Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Neil Young post!

I made this list in May. In June, Neil put out an archival release with a song I'd never heard before. I've become obsessed with it and have decided to rank it at No. 81, making this list a top 101.

81. Vacancy (Homegrown, 2020; written in 1974)
    As I mentioned before, Neil wrote a bunch of songs in 1974 as a result of a major breakup. He recorded a whole bunch of these and other songs and prepared some of them for release on an album to be called Homegrown. Then he shelved the album in 1975 in favor of Tonight's the Night. Unlike some of Neil's lost albums, Homegrown never surfaced as a whole, but some of its songs (and others recorded at those sessions) ended up on other albums or made their way into live sets. Vacancy never did. It was a complete mystery, its existence only known to fans through a list of the songs recorded at the sessions, until Neil released Homegrown last month as part of his Archives series.
    It is incredible. I am floored every time I hear it, and constantly send messages to a fellow music-geek friend about it. Honestly, the only reason it's as low as 81 is to guard against irrational exuberance.
    And I have so many questions. But the main two are:
    1. How can you write and record a song this great AND THEN KEEP IT UNDER WRAPS FOR 45 YEARS? Neil has said the Homegrown material was too personal, but he let people hear Pardon My Heart and Homefires, which are much more intimate than this, so that's not a good enough excuse.
    2. How can you not retry this song with Crazy Horse at some point in the last 45 years? They could turn it into a massive stomper live. Neil salvaged the title track of Homegrown, reworked it for the Horse and released it on American Stars N Bars 2 years after the original album was abandoned. This would have been a MUCH better alternative.
    Perhaps the issue was that the lyrics describe a situation that must have been particularly awkward for Neil. He is not addressing his ex but someone whom he may have tried to replace her with.
    "I look in your eyes and I don't know what's there
    You poison me with that long, vacant stare
    You dress like her and she walks in your words
    You frown at me and then you smile at her"
    and:
    "You come through in the weirdest way
    You copy her with the words that you say
    I need that girl like the night needs the day
    I don't need you getting in my way"
    Holy hell.
    The music merges the best of Neil's hard-rock and country-rock impulses and wouldn't sound out of place on a Buffalo Springfield or CSNY record. The ending solo sounds straight out of a jam from a CSNY tour, and the transitions into and out of the verses are to die for. There's even a riff pulled from World on a String, which Neil probably figured was shelved for good in 1974.
    If I ever get to see Neil in concert again, I am going to be that guy who annoys him by calling for this song all night.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• 40. Love and Only Love (Ragged Glory, 1990)
      One of two songs starting with "Love" on Ragged Glory that clocks in at more than 10 minutes, this one has an insistent bassline and siren-like squalls from Neil's guitar. Despite the sonic mayhem, things are kept tuneful throughout. The message of its lyrics still resonates today and Neil has taken to using it as a set closer sometimes.

Comment

• Update on my rankings vs. Rolling Stone's.

101. Lookout Joe (RS unranked)
        100. Ramada Inn (RS #47)
        99. Look Out for My Love (RS #55)
        98. Get Back to the Country (RS unranked)
        97. Homefires (RS unranked)
        96. This Old Guitar (RS unranked)
        95. Slip Away (RS #86)
        94. This Note's for You (RS #42)
        93. Mansion on the Hill (RS unranked)
        92. Grey Riders (RS unranked)
        91. Motion Pictures (for Carrie) (RS unranked)
        90. Downtown (RS unranked)
        89. White Line (RS unranked)
        88. Ride My Llama (RS unranked)
        87. Windward Passage (RS unranked)
        86. Albuquerque (RS #39)
        85. Everybody's Alone (RS unranked)
        84. I've Been Waiting for You (RS unranked)
        83. Winterlong (RS #45)
        82. Sail Away (RS unranked)
        81. Vacancy (RS unranked)
        80. When You Dance I Can Really Love (RS #83)
        79. Lotta Love (RS unranked)
        78. I Believe in You (RS unranked)
        77. Through My Sails (RS unranked)
        76. LA (RS #74)
        75. Goin' Back (RS unranked)
        74. Crime in the City (Sixty to Zero) (RS #82)
        73. From Hank to Hendrix (RS #20)
        72. Drive Back (RS #76)
        71. World on a String (RS #65)
        70. Sea of Madness (RS unranked)
        69. Razor Love (RS #60)
        68. On the Way Home (RS #46)
        67. Long May You Run (RS #32)
        66. Like an Inca (RS unranked)
        65. Interstate (RS unranked)
        64. Days That Used to Be (RS unranked)
        63. New Mama (RS unranked)
        62. Wrecking Ball (RS unranked)
        61. Shots (RS unranked)
        60. Scenery (RS unranked)
        59. Live to Ride (RS unranked)
        58. Prisoners of Rock 'N' Roll (RS #87)
        57. Come on Baby Let's Go Downtown (RS unranked)
        56. Too Far Gone (RS #48)
        55. Natural Beauty (RS unranked)
        54. Unknown Legend (RS unranked)
        53. Comes a Time (RS #51)
        52. Broken Arrow (RS #23)
        51. No Hidden Path (RS unranked)
        50. Heart of Gold (RS #2)
        49. Roll Another Number (for the Road) (RS #54)
        48. Last Dance (RS unranked)
        47. Welfare Mothers (RS unranked)
        46. Pushed It Over the End (RS #61)
        45. Harvest Moon (RS #37)
        44. Don't Be Denied (RS #38)
        43. Pardon My Heart (RS unranked)
        42. Time Fades Away (RS unranked)
        41. Change Your Mind (RS #40)
        40. Love and Only Love (RS unranked)

Comment

• 39. Don't Cry No Tears (Zuma, 1975; based on a song written in 1964)
          As great as the "ditch trilogy" of Time Fades Away, On the Beach and Tonight's the Night are, Neil was not in the best state of mind while making them. They rocked in parts, but some of his fans wondered where the kind of rocking he did on Cinnamon Girl and Southern Man went. It resurfaced on Zuma, and was announced triumphantly in this, the opening track.
          Straightforward and no nonsense, Don't Cry No Tears sounds like a throwback because it is. The melody and some of the lyrics were taken from "I Wonder," a song Neil wrote and performed with the Squires, his band before he left Canada for the US. Between the Squires and Buffalo Springfield, Neil tried to make it as a folkie, and refashioned "I Wonder" into an acoustic song called "The Ballad of Peggy Grover" (mislabeled on bootlegs as "Don't Pity Me Babe" until Archives Vol. 1 came out). Then he sat on it until dusting it off with a new title and some new lyrics. It's a pure joy to listen to and one of his songs I have never seen live but most want to.

Last edited by Erik; 08-11-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• 38. Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield Again, 1967)
            Because those in charge thought his voice was too unconventional, Neil's best songs on Buffalo Springfield's debut album were sung by Richie Furay. But on their second album, Neil grabbed the spotlight and never relinquished it. He earned the most attention with this one, a thunderous rocker patterned after the Stones' Jumping Jack Flash. Acoustic versions are just as revelatory, as he brings to them a gravitas you'd expect from early 20th-century country blues artists.

Comment

• The version on Unplugged is just stunning.

Comment

• The version on Trans is just ... something.

Comment

• 37. Tell Me Why (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                  This song greets you like an old friend every time and is the perfect way to open After the Gold Rush, Neil's best (mostly) acoustic album. It's also a frequent acoustic show/set opener for the same reason. The fantastic melody and harmonies (from CSN) belie lyrics that are difficult to decode even by Neil's standards.

Comment

• 36. The Needle and the Damage Done (Harvest, 1972)
                    Neil's feelings about and commentary on the seedier side of the counterculture didn't just surface during the "ditch trilogy." It was right there on his most popular album. Neil was witnessing his close friend Danny Whitten of Crazy Horse deteriorate from heroin addiction, and this song was his reaction. "I sing the song because I love the man / I know that some of you don't understand." No one wanted to hear this message in 1972, but Neil knew it had to be heard. He wrapped it in a gorgeous melody so people would listen, and they did, making this one of his most beloved songs.

Comment

• 35. Birds (After the Gold Rush, 1970; written in 1968)
                      Neil wrote many breakup songs, but this one is so much more than that. Using bird imagery, he is telling his ex that things will be better for her with someone else. The vocal is one of Neil's most compelling and the stark piano accompaniment suits it perfectly. This appeared in a few solo and CSNY sets in 1968-69 before being recorded for After the Gold Rush.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        38. Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield Again, 1967)
                        Because those in charge thought his voice was too unconventional, Neil's best songs on Buffalo Springfield's debut album were sung by Richie Furay. But on their second album, Neil grabbed the spotlight and never relinquished it. He earned the most attention with this one, a thunderous rocker patterned after the Stones' Jumping Jack Flash. Acoustic versions are just as revelatory, as he brings to them a gravitas you'd expect from early 20th-century country blues artists.

Love this song. If I had a list it would be top 20 or 25 on mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          The version on Unplugged is just stunning.

It is stunning... and it would be on my list about 4 spots above or below the Buffalo Springfield version depending on my mood that day.

Comment

• This is my favorite version of Mr. Soul

I did happen to see the Trans tour version of Mr. Soul live - that was mediocre at best

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Nothing against Neil's Unplugged version, but I've always liked the album version best. Though they're both great. Like you, it'd be top-25 for me, maybe even top-20.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                It was really hard to put it this far down -- that shows you how much incredible material he has.

Comment

Working...
                                X