Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sent him a PM a while ago.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I love parts of Trans and I think it's easily the most underrated and misunderstood record he ever put out* -- but I'm not ready to take anything from it yet.

* - He didn't do himself any favors by not explaining why he employed vocoders and stuff until many years later.

Comment

• Trans is one of those releases I only have in vinyl. I'll have to spin it up a little later.

There are a few more I only have in vinyl, but I shouldn't mention them now as they are yet untapped.

I may have to run out in a while, but I'll try to leave my picks before I do.

Comment

• 9.06 - from hank to hendrix

what do you do when you can no longer be with the only one you could ever possibly be with? you imagine that you can put it back together somehow, even though you know in your heart you can't. sad, sad divorce song.

From Hank to Hendrix
          I walked these streets with you
          Here I am with this old guitar
          Doin' what I do.

I always expected
          That you should see me through
          I never believed in much
          But I believed in you.

Can we get it together
          Can we still stand side by side
          Can we make it last
          Like a musical ride?

From Marilyn to Madonna
          I always loved your smile
          Now we're headed
          for the big divorce
          California-style.

I found myself singin'
          Like a long-lost friend
          The same thing that makes you live
          Can kill you in the end.

Can we get it together
          Can we still stand side by side
          Can we make it last
          Like a musical ride?

Sometime it's distorted
          Not clear to you
          Sometimes the beauty of love
          Just comes ringin' through.

New glass in the window
          New leaf on the tree
          New distance between us
          You and me.

Can we get it together
          Can we still walk side by side
          Can we make it last
          Like a musical ride?
          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Neil didn't want to be filmed at Woodstock, but somebody snuck up on him.

Comment

• Foot was chompin' at the...well, foot. He must have gotten tired and bolted.

Lucky's wife is in the pool, floating around and reading from that kimble or whatever the hell you call it. I need to find out what her pick is. I know she will not go along with my pick at all. When I played it for her last night, the kindest thing she said was "train wreck".

Comment

• Lemme guess, something from Time Fades Away or Tonight's the Night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  Neil didn't want to be filmed at Woodstock, but somebody snuck up on him.

I've been mentally listing all the possible factors that led Young to get so cross-wise with Stills, when they were so often so good together. I think Stills' arrangement of Mr. Soul for Woodstock had to be way up on the list.

The firing of that pre-pubescent bass player may have been another.

I mentioned earlier, but I'll say again that the Young biography "Shakey" is a good read. I'm reading it again now as we go through the draft. Good stuff, from many interesting sources.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    Lemme guess, something from Time Fades Away or Tonight's the Night.
                    You are too smart to be hanging around with the likes of us.

Comment

• If only I could channel that into consistent fantasy baseball success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        I mentioned earlier, but I'll say again that the Young biography "Shakey" is a good read. I'm reading it again now as we go through the draft. Good stuff, from many interesting sources.
                        I amazon'd it on Friday ...

Anyone got any other good Neil reading material?

Comment

• Shakey is definitive and makes a lot of the other books seem superfluous.

"Neil Young and Broken Arrow: On a Journey through the Past" is a fun collection of essays by members of the UK-based Neil Young Appreciation Society.

Comment

• 9.07 Hold On To Your Love (Trans, 1982)

The lost little gem from the otherwise disappointing Trans. I was all for Neil doing this kind of brave left-field stuff (the whole electronic/Kraftwerk/Devo thing was definitely where I was at in the early 80s), but the LP fell a bit short. I gave it a re-listen a few days ago after many years, and it still sounds the same to me. Neil wore his influences a little too obviously, there's just not enough originality to it.

Regardless, "Hold On To Your Love" is a great one with a lovely slide guitar hook and soft harmonies; given a more traditional 'Neil' arrangement it could have been a hit off any other album. Has he ever resurrected this one in concert?
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Okay, here's Alice's pick:

9.08 Are You Ready For The Country (Harvest, 1972)

I have burgers almost ready to come off the grill, so I'll need a few minutes to get my 10th round pick posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                                Has he ever resurrected this one in concert?
                                Nope.

Comment

Working...
                                X