Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.07 Captain Kennedy, Hawks and Doves, 1980

Have never been able to find a clip of this song.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I thought this was pretty wild. CSN&Y doing "Down By The River" on the David Steinberg show. Not only is the band playing live, but it appears that Stills and Young are jamming the solos.

Does anyone know the identity of the nine-year-old playing bass?
      Last edited by ; 06-25-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• after i blabbered about the cool acoustic version of "no more," i forgot to post it. really, watch this. it's incredible.

~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• 8.08 Alabama (Harvest, 1972)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 9.01 I Believe In You (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              Does anyone know the identity of the nine-year-old playing bass?
              Greg Reeves. He was 19 at the time. He was fired before the Four Way Street gigs for demanding that they add his songs to their setlist. THAT's how much ego was in that band, sheesh.

Shortly thereafter, Dallas Taylor was fired because Neil threatened to quit if he wasn't.

David Steinberg had a show?
              Last edited by Erik; 06-26-2011, 03:33 AM.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                8.07 Captain Kennedy, Hawks and Doves, 1980

Have never been able to find a clip of this song.
                Another one that was originally intended for Chrome Dreams. In fact, what you hear on H&D is the exact same version that was cut for CD. All of side 1 of H&D is like that -- it consists entirely of stuff he had lying around from older sessions.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Lucky's wife;28078]
                  Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  For overkill:

8.04 - Harvest (Harvest, 1972)

This one's a steal this late...
                  I knew Lucky was a lucky man

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                    after i blabbered about the cool acoustic version of "no more," i forgot to post it. really, watch this. it's incredible.

That's really something. He has (what is to me) an amazing ability to render his songs in either acoustic or electric form, and thereby explore textures and nuances in one form that might go unnoticed in the other. I've listened to "No More" dozens and dozens of times, but now I have a whole new perspective on the song.

Comment

• 9.02 Days That Used to Be, Ragged Glory, 1990

another one i i can't find a clip for....

This one gets compared to Dylan's "My Back Pages".

I always enjoyed this one because after all, who doesn't miss the days that used to be?

People say don't rock the boat,
                      let things go their own way
                      Ideas that once seem so right,
                      now have gotten hard to say
                      I wish I could talk to you,
                      you could talk to me
                      'Cause there's very few of us left
                      my friend
                      From the days that used to be.

Seem like such a simple thing
                      to follow one's own dream
                      But possessions and concession
                      are not often what they seem
                      They drag you down
                      and load you down
                      in disguise of security.
                      But we never had
                      to make those deals
                      In the days that used to be.

Talk to me, my long lost friend,
                      tell me how you are
                      Are you happy with
                      your circumstance,
                      are you driving a new car
                      Does it get you where you wanna go,
                      with a seven year warranty
                      Or just another
                      hundred thousand miles away
                      From days that used to be.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• My favourite track from On The Beach .

9.03 Motion Pictures For Carrie On The Beach

I play this in D ... such a beautiful simple repetitive chord structure ... D ---> Dmaj7 ---> D7 ---> G ---> E7. I really like the feel of how this song plays in D ... I can't explain that.

Well, all those people,
                        they think they got it made
                        But I wouldn't buy, sell, borrow or trade
                        Anything I have to be like one of them.
                        I'd rather start all over again.

You can here the hum of the vinyl here:

Last edited by johnnya24; 06-26-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Here's where I start to get all obscure on y'all.

9.04 Pushed It Over the End (Unreleased, written and first performed in 1974)

After Neil finally put out Ordinary People in 2007, the title of greatest unreleased electric song fell to this one, IMO. The lyrics have caused a great amount of debate amongst the die-hards -- is this the tale of a confused guy who is trying (but failing) to do his best in the age of feminism, or an a$$hole who is rebelling against it? But what no one disputes is that the arrangement played on the 1974 CSNY reunion tour is orgasmically awesome, featuring some beautiful and sympathetic guitar interplay between Stills and Young. An acoustic version also circulates -- it was the opener of the much-bootlegged Bottom Line 1974 show.

The sad thing was, this song should have been widely available by now but isn't due to petty differences. Neil polished up a recording from the Chicago show of the 1974 CSNY tour (which is the clip below) with the intention of putting it on Decade. But CSN, in retaliation for his abandoning Stills on their 1976 duo tour and declining to join their 1977 reunion, refused to let him use it. The tables were turned in 1991, when CSN wanted to put it on their box set but Neil, remembering the slight from almost 15 years earlier, refused to let THEM use it. It did see the light of day on an early '80s Italian vinyl compilation, but that is so rare and so long out of print that most fanatics consider it never to have been released at all.

We may get a happy ending, however. Word is that Graham Nash is putting together a 3 CD/1 DVD set of the 1974 tour. Surely this will have to be on it.

I first discovered this recording about 20 years ago on a bootleg of random unreleased stuff called "Love Art Blues." It has been one of my very favorites ever since.

Comment

• "Days That Used to Be" is one of my favorites from RG, even though it borrows lyrically from Dylan and musically from John Mellencamp's "Pink Houses." It's so wistful. I was psyched when he played it at my Weld tour show (2/5/91). Fun fact: In 1988 Neil wrote "Days That Used to Be," "Ordinary People," and "Sixty to Zero" all in one day, on a boat, and debuted them all live with the Bluenotes later that year.

"Motion Pictures" is unlike anything else in his catalog -- if feels like he just woke up. It's perpetually overlooked and I figured it would be the last OTB song taken. Good to see that it wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post

"Motion Pictures" is unlike anything else in his catalog -- if feels like he just woke up. It's perpetually overlooked and I figured it would be the last OTB song taken. Good to see that it wasn't.
                              This should help explain:

Throughout the recording of the album, Young and his fellow musicians consumed a homemade concoction dubbed "Honey Slides", a goop of sauteed marijuana and honey that "felt like heroin".[1] This may account for the mellow mood of the album, particularly the second half of the LP.[1] Young has said of it "Good album. One side of it particularly—the side with 'Ambulance Blues', 'Motion Pictures' and 'On the Beach' — it's out there. It's a great take." wikipedia

Comment

• Yep. He also discusses the "Honey Slides" before launching into Motion Pictures at the 1974 Bottom Line gig.

That show is the only documented live performance of Motion Pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X