Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    No, they are based out of Austin where Travis had moved to about 10 years ago or so.

My brother sings most of the songs and plays guitar, the bass player sings a few songs.
    On Saturday, they'll be in town along with Titus Andronicus! unk:
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Nice. I missed them a few weeks back cause there was another show I wanted to see; Jonny (Norman from Teenage Fanclub) but the cancelled last minute and then Okkervil was sold out.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Did I miss out on the chance to see Titus Andronicus again? I might have to punch myself in the balls if I did, they rocked the house at Coachella this year but only got to play for like 45 minutes.

Comment

• I'm guessing Bucky will be jealous about this one, but I just bought tickets for a 1-day festival here in LA during Labor Day weekend with the headliner being...The Descendents!

I'm not familiar with a ton of the bands, but it was only $40 and I'm a big fan of Avi Buffalo and Smith Westerns and fairly excited to see Guided by Voices, Cold Ward Kids, Girls, and Cults. Any other bands I should make sure to check out?

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
            Did I miss out on the chance to see Titus Andronicus again? I might have to punch myself in the balls if I did, they rocked the house at Coachella this year but only got to play for like 45 minutes.
            Those guys went to the high where I teach - they graduated a few years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              Those guys went to the high where I teach - they graduated a few years ago.
              Was their life really that bad? They seem really pissed off

Comment

I'm guessing Bucky will be jealous about this one, but I just bought tickets for a 1-day festival here in LA during Labor Day weekend with the headliner being...The Descendents!

I'm not familiar with a ton of the bands, but it was only $40 and I'm a big fan of Avi Buffalo and Smith Westerns and fairly excited to see Guided by Voices, Cold Ward Kids, Girls, and Cults. Any other bands I should make sure to check out?
                That's cool. They are playing in Philly and I'm thinking about making the drive down but I'm not a big fan of the outdoor festival type shows. From that list you have to check out The Weakerthans (duh since they are my signature).
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Can't recall if I ever posted any Ane Brun before? I was listening to her a lot about 4/5 years ago, just after she released a record of Duets. I think I discovered her through a duet that appeared on that record with a Norwegian band called Madrugada. She has an amazing voice, and writes some great songs. Big In Japan is one of the most haunting songs I've heard .... Scandinavians do melancholy better than anyone. She's touring the States now supporting Peter Gabriel ...

Last edited by johnnya24; 06-23-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

They are so awesome live. I've seen them three times, and they seem to get better every time. Last time was at a 200 person venue in Hoboken and they just ripped it up. I actually hung out with the lead singer after they opened for Los Campesinos! a few years ago when he was absolutely wasted (I was too, for that matter). He grew up in a town right near where I grew up, so we ended up talking about Jersey malls for like 20 minutes. Good times.

Comment

I'm guessing Bucky will be jealous about this one, but I just bought tickets for a 1-day festival here in LA during Labor Day weekend with the headliner being...The Descendents!

Broken Social Scene were pretty good the one time I saw them. Might be worth checking out.

Comment

the olivia tremor control? now there's a blast from the past - part of denver's elephant 6 indie collective from the 90's. they made some interesting records, no idea what their live show might be like.

and the dead milkmen? wow. lol
                        ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

I'm moving to Westwood and thus should have gone to this show.

Comment

• The entire new Old 97's album The Grand Theatre Vol. 2 is streaming now on kxt.org: http://budurl.com/mbue (it comes out July 5th and it's quite good.)

Comment

• Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                              I'm moving to Westwood and thus should have gone to this show.
                              There are still tickets available I believe. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Just got my tickets for Fleet Foxes and The Walkmen at the Greek in September (gonna be a busy month for concerts). Gotta love when 2 of your favorite bands are on the same bill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                                The entire new Old 97's album The Grand Theatre Vol. 2 is streaming now on kxt.org: http://budurl.com/mbue (it comes out July 5th and it's quite good.)
                                Just saw them for the 1st time in a very small venue, helluva show.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X