No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to see Bob Dylan and Mavis Staples at The Beacon in Manhattan on Tuesday. fyi, they were an item more than 50 years ago; he proposed and she said no. not sure if it will be exceelent, though they have always remained close. I mean the show
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      That is by far my favorite song of hers. Such a great beat and her vocals are top-notch.
      Love the bass in that song.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• damned if Dylan didn't shock me - he got his voice back!

I saw him 6-8 years ago and he was at tracheotomy-level sounds. the band had to almost completely overpower it.

had some trepidation, therefore - but I figure if the U.S. poet laureate of the 20th century is in town (and a freaking opening act for Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech in the 1963 March on Washington #googleit), I'll give him one last chance.

I don't know if he had surgery or stopped smoking again or what, but the familiar croak is back. his 1-hour, 45-minute set isn't for all his fans - he's not going to sing "Like a Rolling Stone" or try to replicate the sound of a 50-year-old song from an album. he also sings a half-dozen standards - which are his true love (two Sinatras, plus "Autumn Leaves" etc).

the band is tremendous, and while 76-year-old Bob didn't play guitar or harmonica, he played a pretty mean keyboard. for the standards, he picks up the microphone stand and tilts it sideways like something out of the 1940s. he played a few of his old hits in recognizable fashion and others far, far from that.

this is the 3rd time I've seen him play at his old Manhattan stomping grounds, and frankly I think he saves his best for these shows (so fair warning).

oh, 78-year-old Mavis Staples KILLED in her 45-minute opener. "I'll Take You There" - yeah, she took the whole crowd there. her new album was just released, and I may get it. songs about love, friendship, loyalty, and determination - not a bad time these days to get healed!

set list here

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/bob-dyl...ht-1-setlists/
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Two Amy Winehouse proteges, Zalon Thompson and Dionne Bromfield.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Two Amy Winehouse proteges, Zalon Thompson and Dionne Bromfield.

Meh. Nice, but nothing special.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Meh. Nice, but nothing special.
              Since you are being so generous with sharing your opinions today, what are your thoughts on Amy Winehouse?

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jFc...02313561CADD14

A friend suggested this Icelandic band - Leaves - there are a lot of things about them that I dig
                I hear the sounds of a lot of bands that I like - some jangly screaming guitars - a bit of a mess - and even some less psychedelic Flaming Lips

Comment

• I've become enchanted by Moon Duo

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Since you are being so generous with sharing your opinions today, what are your thoughts on Amy Winehouse?
                    She's a fine singer. Although I haven't enjoyed her songs enough to give them a more in depth listen.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I doubt that this has much publicity out there so I thought I'd share ... this started in a bar down the street from me here in Toronto (and it's still going). A couple of guys have been running volunteer choir nights where you spend 1-2 hours learning arrangements (while drinking of course), then put it together in amazing performances. This month it led to an awesome performance in NYC with David Byrne ... there are dozens of these ... I'll post a few of my favs ...

Heroes

Fake Plastic Trees

Take Me Out
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Whoever picks the songs seems like a good guy to have a drink with.

Love this song ... they nail that off-tone harmony.

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve
                            Just discovered Halestorm! Damn!

Good to see some mild profanity...steady progress !
                            --------------------------------------
                            You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa....amazing. Same concert:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                Last edited by chancellor; 03-03-2018, 09:41 PM.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X