Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I'm not sure what i was doing when I was 16 ... but it wasn't this. I was worried she was going to yawn it seemed so easy.

Her Other stuff here https://www.youtube.com/user/malabar777/videos

Holy Smokes that was awesome!

It appears she does not tour. I would pay to see her perform.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Holy Smokes that was awesome!

It appears she does not tour. I would pay to see her perform.
      Great technique. Pretty sure she's french, and probably in her last year of music school, which I guess explains the lack of new content since the Moonlight Sonata video.

Comfortably Numb when 14 years old.

I'll have to check out some Jason Becker ... this is pretty epic.

Comment

• My wife and I spent about half an hour listening to her (thanks for the links) while trying to see if she was touring. We were very surprised how little information there is on her.

Comment

• RIP Allen Holdsworth, phenomenal fusion jazz guitarist. I heard him first wth Jean-Luc Ponty; his solo work I.O.U is amazing.

Groundbreaking guitarist who played with U.K. Soft Machine, Gong, Jean-Luc Ponty passes away unexpectedly
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Here's one that will jump start your battery on a Sunday morning. So much talent all in one room.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Thanks to a YouTube recommendation, just discovered this 90 post-hardcore band Unwound. They sound like a cross between Fugazi and Slint ... with a little bit of Mogwai and Godspeed! thrown in there for good measure (a lot of the later on their last record). Disbanded in 2002.

How have I never heard of this band ... how have they not been rediscovered

"New Plastic Ideas"

Their final record, "Leave turn Inside You" is more math-rock, but still excellent.

Comment

Thanks to a YouTube recommendation, just discovered this 90 post-hardcore band Unwound. They sound like a cross between Fugazi and Slint ... with a little bit of Mogwai and Godspeed! thrown in there for good measure (a lot of the later on their last record). Disbanded in 2002.

How have I never heard of this band ... how have they not been rediscovered
                dude, I think you just officially rattled off the list of "Artists that no one on RJ but Fresno Bob and me will like"

well ok, maybe Nullnor.....
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  dude, I think you just officially rattled off the list of "Artists that no one on RJ but Fresno Bob and me will like"

well ok, maybe Nullnor.....
                  Haven't given up on Lucky yet. There is still hope.

I think Unwound will be my new obsession for the next month or so. Their back catalogue seems to be a pretty deep well.

So good ...

Last edited by johnnya24; 05-01-2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Johnny, you might be interested in this:

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      Johnny, you might be interested in this:

http://numerogroup.com/products/unwound-what-was-wound
                      Funnily I was just looking at that last night. The link above was, I believe, from one of those box sets.

Also the first time I'm hearing about Numero Group ... that's a very interesting label / project.

Comment

Funnily I was just looking at that last night. The link above was, I believe, from one of those box sets.

Also the first time I'm hearing about Numero Group ... that's a very interesting label / project.
                        It's a great label. I have a bunch of stuff by them. They just did a pop up store tour and stopped in Boston. I bought over $200 worth of records including part 1 of the Unwound box set. The vinyl version of the 16 CD box set is split up into four parts. It's their compilations that make them so amazing. They go through thousands of thousands of old 45s to find the good songs and then put them on a compilation. They have all different types of genres but I think soul is their most common. I bought a 70s/80s metal comp that is pretty good. My favorite is a comp of 70s power pop music from Illinois. So many good songs on that one of bands that only released a now very obscure 7" single.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Haven't given up on Lucky yet. There is still hope.

I think Unwound will be my new obsession for the next month or so. Their back catalogue seems to be a pretty deep well.

So good ...

Hey, yeah, I'm still exploring deep and wide. The big thing has been the addition of the subscription Spotify. It is just makes it so easy to listen to music that is new to you.

And BTW, had the pleasure Saturday night to see the Jack DeJohnette Trio at an outdoor show in a local park. As most of you know, Jack is an iconic jazz drummer who has played with everyone in addition to leading many sessions. His trio includes Ravi Coltrane and Matt Garrison.

Ravi and Matt have played with most of the greats as well as cutting their own sides. Matt is one of the top bassists playing today. For you gear heads, he was playing his signature Fodera shortscale headless five-string.

For me, the best part of the evening was that they closed the show with some serious hard bop, and then came out for an encore with "Round Trip" by Ornette Coleman. With the sounds of 'free jazz' floating into the north Texas sky, I felt like a kid again.
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Cool variation of an old favorite.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• "When music is your passion, but you've only got an engineering degree." (from youtube comments)

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Well, I only just heard this lately, so I guess it counts.

The Style Council's My Ever Changing Moods has been a huge favorite of mine since my college days. Like most Americans who know it, I've only heard the groovy new wave single version of the song:

Much as I love it, I've always find it odd that Paul Weller would pair such pensive lyrics with a bright, breezy, almost lightweight musical jam. I never gave much more thought to that curious creative choice until just recently, when I happened upon an old copy of The Style Council's Cafe Bleu" CD at my local library. What a shock it was to get to track 6 and hear this version of My Ever Changing Moods instead of the poppier arrangement I'd always known:

The moody solo piano backing fits the song so much better... I've fallen in love with it all over again. To think how close I came to missing it completely!
                                Last edited by senorsheep; 05-23-2017, 02:03 PM.
                                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                                X