Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I am huge fan of the Offspring. I have seen them a few times and always a solid show.
    Good to hear. I think these CDs are all over the map, from national artists, to some fairly obscure regional or even local bands. I found out that The Apples are a nine piece Israeli funk band. They work out of London presently, I think.

Comment

• I must go out for a meeting in a couple of minutes. It's a drive, so I'm taking what I'm pretty sure is some Brit pop. Coldplay and Oasis. I've also got a Squeeze disc, Argybargy or some damn thing. Only thing I know about Squeeze is the big hit "Tempted", which I understand is not representative. Oh, and that Jools Holland was the piano player in the early days.

Explosions in the Sky was pretty good. Austin, TX mostly instrumental band. If you watch Friday Night Lights, you have heard them.

Comment

• Wow, hit sort of a jackpot yesterday and this morning.

Wound up listening to the Squeeze "Argybargy". Very good stuff. Outstanding musicianship, excellent basslines and vocals, very good songcraft. Didn't like "Go", except for the last 64 or so measures, basically the extended instrumental outro.

Bang into the 90s with the self-titled Candlebox from 1993. Loved it. Great guitar sound, fines musicianship. (When did people forget how to play their instruments?) Fine Seattle sound, but something about it reminded me of an early 70s vibe, almost that vibe you'd get from giant Ampeg cabs.

Different feel but loved Sister Hazel's "...somewhere more familiar" from 1997. Super guitar sounds, another band in which the guys can really play their instruments. They are called "southern/alt" but I would say more of a guitar driven pop. Optomistic. Maybe "Op-pop". Sometimes the guitars are a little trebly, a little jangly, but not in a bad way. Not Neil Young jangly, NTTAWWT. Well written songs played by guys (or girls) who know their craft is the way to my heart, I guess. Well crafted pop tunes are probably my favorites.

I'm only throwing stuff up here that I rate at four stars or better. Most of you guys already know these records, I'm sure, so if this is totally superfluous, let me know and I will discontinue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          I'm the only one around here for whom they would be "new music", but I've been listening to the eponymous "Garbage" album the last couple of days. Good stuff.

I had an opportunity to pick up over a hundred CDs from mostly late 90s early 00s, all at an amazing bargain. Some I had never heard of, like The Offspring, Lords of Acid, the Apples, Explosions in the Sky, Iron & Wine, Blue October, and Bright Eyes. And there was tons of stuff I had heard of but never really listened to.

The goal is to give it all a good listen, educate myself on this era, and see what I really like. Maybe I can join the next draft we have which covers some of this.

So far, I love the Pixies and I think the Garbage was excellent. The Offspring (Smash) was outstanding as well. Lords of Acid was pretty good instrumentally, especially the drummer, except I'm not crazy for those vocal stylings.
          just seeing this now; lots of well known stuff in there - argybargy is pratically a classic - but I noticed Bright Eyes on your list; I only came across them over the past few years - well, him, it's largely one guy, Conor Oberst - but great stuff, well written, highly infectious. Worth a few listens.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            just seeing this now; lots of well known stuff in there - argybargy is pratically a classic - but I noticed Bright Eyes on your list; I only came across them over the past few years - well, him, it's largely one guy, Conor Oberst - but great stuff, well written, highly infectious. Worth a few listens.
            Thanks! The name came to mind when I was listing a few artists in the pile, but I will definitely bump him to the top of the playlist!

Comment

• keep posting - maybe some here will re-discover cds along with you

Comment

• Here's some less well known 90's classic albums:

Pavement (lo fi, Indie, alternative ... Sonic Youth crossed with The Pixies)

"Slanted and Enchanted" (1992)

"Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" (1994)

Elliot Smith (singer songwriter)

"Either/Or"

"XO"

Last edited by johnnya24; 06-28-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Instead of Pavement I'd suggest Superchunk. Much better band.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• On which planet are Pavement and Superchunk even close to the same category? That's a ridiculous comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      On which planet are Pavement and Superchunk even close to the same category? That's a ridiculous comparison.
                      They are both indie rock bands from the 90s. One is a great band and the other is overrated. So yeah, they are not in the same category.

Pavement is overrated in case you couldn't figure that out.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        They are both indie rock bands from the 90s. One is a great band and the other is overrated. So yeah, they are not in the same category.

Pavement is overrated in case you couldn't figure that out.
                        Yeah I heard your opinion, and as we all know on this site, your opinion is clearly superior to everyone else's.

Spoiler!

It's kinda annoying seeing you constantly and unnecessarily demean other people's preferences when you have such narrow bog standard tastes: punk, pop-punk, indie-punk, local punk bands you've seen, punk bands you grew up with, punk bands were you know the drummer, punk bands were the manager is your cousin's wife's half brother.

If you don't like something, just ignore it like everyone else does.

Comment

• I'm thinking that I'm not going to be reviewing Pavement or Superchunk.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            Yeah I heard your opinion, and as we all know on this site, your opinion is clearly superior to everyone else's.

Spoiler!

It's kinda annoying seeing you constantly and unnecessarily demean other people's preferences when you have such narrow bog standard tastes: punk, pop-punk, indie-punk, local punk bands you've seen, punk bands you grew up with, punk bands were you know the drummer, punk bands were the manager is your cousin's wife's half brother.

If you don't like something, just ignore it like everyone else does.
                            Yup, that's me to a T. You know me so well.

I think in this case you claiming Pavement and Superchunk are not in the same category really shows your ignorance. Or maybe it's different across the pond. Where I live they are in the same category. There are different perspectives based on where you live and I feel that's something that gets missed by you from time to time. I think this is one of those cases.

I get that people like Pavement. That's cool but I don't care for them. I was trying to suggest a band that I consider to be really good that aren't as well known. But take it as a slight if you want, I don't really care.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                              I'm thinking that I'm not going to be reviewing Pavement or Superchunk.
                              Haha. It's all good. I'd like to hear what your thoughts are. Don't let Johnny bother you.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Mother Love Bone is fantastic. Best grunge band.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X