X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    But YOUR formula only applies to you.
    How do you measure crappiness of bands?

and by the way- I teach 8th grade so I get a ton of exposure to pop music and will happily listen to oneD over Fetty Wap

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      But One Direction? C'mon. Isn't that already all over the radio? The main idea here is to introduce people to music that they might not have heard. It's not about hipster music or whatever that means. Is that just code for I've never heard of it so it must be hipster to make me feel better about myself? Just asking cause I have no idea.
      I have this conversation with my 10 year old daughter, my wife, my 30 year old daughter and friends...I don't know WHY I like this music, but I do. Simple as that. Pop music touches some part of my brain that says 'Hey I like this". I get that almost every 50 year old guy hates this stuff, but I don't.

And you know from the many musical drafts I have participated in that my musical tastes run all over the place. The same as you guys. Mine just includes silly pop music. And your minds can't grasp that, understandably.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Allen Toussaint produced this gem.

that's some funked up stuff!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

And you know from the many musical drafts I have participated in that my musical tastes run all over the place. The same as you guys. Mine just includes silly pop music. And your minds can't grasp that, understandably.
          I think the point is, no one else on this board is going to like this so why continue posting it? There is so much other music that you could share, so why continue posting stuff that a) we've repeatedly told you we dislike, and b) that is all over the radio waves? What are you hoping to accomplish other than trolling the board?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
            How do you measure crappiness of bands?

and by the way- I teach 8th grade so I get a ton of exposure to pop music and will happily listen to oneD over Fetty Wap
            I try to keep an open mind that even if I think it's crappy, others might not. Isn't crappiness in the ear of the listener?

As I get older I have gotten less critical of others musical tastes. Believe it or not!

Comment

• The audio and video don't match up on this one. But, this live 1973 audio and rare 1974 video footage both stand out on their own if you can get past the godzilla-like misalignment and the typical blurry 70's film quality. Absolutely love the intro on this version.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I think the point is, no one else on this board is going to like this so why continue posting it? There is so much other music that you could share, so why continue posting stuff that a) we've repeatedly told you we dislike, and b) that is all over the radio waves? What are you hoping to accomplish other than trolling the board?
                Seeing you guys go goofy over the posts

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  "because they play hardcore thrash that real men listen to it makes them ok for you to like"

No. I don't care who else listens to the music I like or whether it comports to some weird image thing. I've never been like that, never worn the metal uniform, despite being part of the scene for a couple decades.

That's the thing --- most of the people here like music that doesn't appeal to me. Hell, the vast majority of this country, my friends, my family, and people I know or have known do not like the music I like. But I don't chalk that up to them thinking they're cool or that they're hipsters. People do have different tastes. If you truly like One Direction or N Sync or whatever, more power to you. I think it's awful but since most folks think my music is awful it's tough for me to cast stones. But let's not pretend that the reason that others don't like One Direction or Rush or whatever else is because they're just too cool for it. It just sounds like projection when you assert something like that.
                  I am just joking when I use the music snobs or hipster reference as like you I care nothing at all about how anyone views my musical tastes.

Comment

• I hope I didn't post this earlier:

Love the guitar break at 2:06 and the solo starting at 2:46

Comment

• Dance Hall Crashers - One of my favorite groups.

Comment

• One of the greatest riffs in Rock n Roll:

For those that only know T Rex through "Bang a Gong"

Comment

Seeing you guys go goofy over the posts
                          And we get 'goofy' because we know you're only posting for that reason!
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

And we get 'goofy' because we know you're only posting for that reason!
                            Que sera, sera

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              You're posting songs by boy bands. Bands staffed by 12 year old boys. No self-respecting adult listens to that horrific shit. But you're just posting that garbage to be edgy, all the while claiming that it's actually others who are trying to be cool, to be hipsters. Yeah, no one is fooled.
                              Mith,

Eld and I disagree on a lot of things, but I think he is spot on with this comment.

I personally do not get riled up over this as I do not care what you or anyone else listens to. I know what I like and I know what I do not like. I pass on a lot of what is posted here, but occasionally take a listen. More often than not it does not hit my wheel house, but sometimes there are some real hidden gems.

You may like some of the boy band stuff, and that is just fine. I don't have to listen. I do think you get some kind of kick about the negative comments.

I am a music snob to myself. I am also old enough not to care too much about what people think about what I like and don't like; music or other things.

What does happen for me is that I find myself not taking you seriously with regards to music. So even if you posted something I would like I am probably not going to hear it. Now bowling is a whole different thing. I do take you seriously and read what you have to say. You have credibility with me on that subject. Music not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Mith,

Eld and I disagree on a lot of things, but I think he is spot on with this comment.

I personally do not get riled up over this as I do not care what you or anyone else listens to. I know what I like and I know what I do not like. I pass on a lot of what is posted here, but occasionally take a listen. More often than not it does not hit my wheel house, but sometimes there are some real hidden gems.

You may like some of the boy band stuff, and that is just fine. I don't have to listen. I do think you get some kind of kick about the negative comments.

I am a music snob to myself. I am also old enough not to care too much about what people think about what I like and don't like; music or other things.

What does happen for me is that I find myself not taking you seriously with regards to music. So even if you posted something I would like I am probably not going to hear it. Now bowling is a whole different thing. I do take you seriously and read what you have to say. You have credibility with me on that subject. Music not so much.
                                I should have more credibility as I am willing to listen to a much wider variety of music than most, including you

I am inclusive rather than exclusive. People like yourself and many of the others here are the ones I have a hard time taking seriously when it comes to musical credibility because of the derision heaped upon certain genres of music. Or perhaps when it comes to credibility, you think exclusivity is better than accepting a wider range of musical styles?

Even though I listen to and enjoy Classical, jazz, Big band, blues, folk, Celtic, prog, heavy metal, thrash metal, punk, a cappella, musicals, reggae, hymns, and more, I have no credibility. Just because I like Pop music, that trumps everything. Got it.
                                Last edited by Mithrandir; 11-10-2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X