Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon editorial:
    "Nick Waterhouse is the New Breed - An R&B fanatic who combines an uncanny old-school sensibility with a charged, contemporary style. Having just turned 25, he joins the ranks of similar acts and producers of recent times - Mark Ronson, Amy Winehouse, Sharon Jones, Mayer Hawthorne, Aloe Blacc et al -- that are all moving forward into the past, yet all quite different. For Waterhouse, his muse is the over-modulated sound of vintage '50s R&B and Rebel Rock n' Roll. His take on such a time-honored tradition evokes the back-alley thrill of New Orleans, Detroit and Memphis in their heyday. He combines an astute attention to detail recording on all vintage equipment with an honest desire to match the emotional impact of the music that inspires him. "

Last edited by madducks; 08-05-2015, 12:50 AM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• This might be the album of the year.

Titus Andronicus The Most Lamentable Tragedy

I can't embed a youtube video of the entire album but this link will get to a page where you can listen to them all. It's really meant to be listened to as one thing as it's a five act rock opera.
        Last edited by BuckyBuckner; 09-14-2015, 04:27 PM.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Searching through some old Windows folders for my VD ranking sheet, I recovered a Notepad doc with my music to-do list. On top of that list was this spectacular record I've had on repeat all week:

Comment

• Ben Folds Five: One Angry Dwarf And Two Hundred Solemn Faces

Last edited by madducks; 08-30-2015, 02:41 AM.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Ben Folds Five: Annie Waits

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• the two bands I've been listened to the most lately are Metric and Can, only about 40 years apart on those two.....
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  This might be the album of the year.

Titus Andronicus The Most Lamentable Tragedy

I can't a youtube video of the entire album but this link will get to a page where you can listen to them all. It's really meant to be listened to as one thing as it's a five act rock opera.
                  They're one of my favorite bands going these days. Their debut was a gritty collection of punk anthems, The Monitor took things to truly epic levels (one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years), then Local Business was a bit of a letdown. When I heard their 4th album would be a double album it got me worried a bit. I've listened to it a couple times on Spotify and all the ads mess up the flow but I've liked what I've heard so far. I'll need to download it and listen to it with headphones to get the full experience.

Comment

• ROXY MUSIC makes some great music:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Some early Elton John influence here. And the orchestra really adds a nice touch to this song.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• This is really some impressive improvisation. And he does an original improvised piece at all of his shows! Only this time he's doing it with a 115 piece orchestra instead of just his band.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          the two bands I've been listened to the most lately are Metric and Can, only about 40 years apart on those two.....
                          I had a period a few year back when I couldn't get enough of Metric. "Old World Underground", "Grow Up and Blow Away", "Fantasies" and "Live It Out" are terrific records. I haven't listened to "Synthetica" as much.

Have yet to see them live ... near the top of my to-do list, now that Deerhoof have been stroked off.

I used to tell everyone that "Combat Baby" was "our song" when we were in company. My ex HATED that ... so of course in the interests of a healthy relationship, I kept saying it ... it's bound to be funny eventually, right? Turns out no. She wasn't exactly known for her sense of humour or sunny disposition.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            I had a period a few year back when I couldn't get enough of Metric. "Old World Underground", "Grow Up and Blow Away", "Fantasies" and "Live It Out" are terrific records. I haven't listened to "Synthetica" as much.

Have yet to see them live ... near the top of my to-do list, now that Deerhoof have been stroked off.

I used to tell everyone that "Combat Baby" was "our song" when we were in company. My ex HATED that ... so of course in the interests of a healthy relationship, I kept saying it ... it's bound to be funny eventually, right? Turns out no. She wasn't exactly known for her sense of humour or sunny disposition.

I saw Metric two years ago. Pretty good show with one HUGE EXCEPTION: for the encore they played "Gimme Sympathy" a song which I absolutely love! but they played it as an acoustic version and it sucked ass.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              I saw Metric two years ago. Pretty good show with one HUGE EXCEPTION: for the encore they played "Gimme Sympathy" a song which I absolutely love! but they played it as an acoustic version and it sucked ass.
                              I like both versions of that song, very different because the regular version is so fast paced. Never really liked the acoustic version of "Help I'm Alive" from the same record, but "Gimme Sympathy" works IMO. Edit: in saying that, the standard version of Gimme Sympathy must be a killer live track.

Last edited by johnnya24; 09-01-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Been listening to the new Iron Maiden entitled The Book of Souls, the last few days on the road on Sirius XM. Double studio album, about 90 minutes in length. Saw them in concert back in '84 and been a big fan since. Up the Irons!

Comment

Working...
                                X