Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    You're a little late to the game on this one, check pages 117/118 of this thread

It's definitely one of my favorite albums of the year and according to Metacritic, it's on the most year-end lists so far - http://www.metacritic.com/feature/cr...albums-of-2014
    Yeah ... I normally catch up on stuff this time of year when the "best of" list start to appear

Last year was disappointing to say the least ... this year isn't that much better judging from what I've heard so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Yeah ... I normally catch up on stuff this time of year when the "best of" list start to appear

Last year was disappointing to say the least ... this year isn't that much better judging from what I've heard so far.
      Based on previous music discussions it seems that we're mostly on the same page musically...and I agree with you that the scene has gotten weak lately. Seems that things are moving more toward the electronica side of things which just doesn't appeal to me much.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        Based on previous music discussions it seems that we're mostly on the same page musically...and I agree with you that the scene has gotten weak lately. Seems that things are moving more toward the electronica side of things which just doesn't appeal to me much.
        I like(d) a lot of electronica, or music influenced by electronica ... but now it's a wood for trees situation. Also a many of the bands and records that are appearing at the top of "best of" lists the last few years are not very accessible. Difficult records that become influential take time to take root, but because of the internet and every trendy website proclaiming X or Y record to be "influential" before it's become influential ... it's just warping everything.

These days most of the best records of a given year won't appear until years later IMO. There's so much BS out there, and all the website's and journo's just seem to copy each other like lemmings. The record industry have given up finding new music and left it up to artists to make it themselves ... then they give them shitty "360" contracts, which means the record company takes a cut out of EVERYTHING ... merc, tours and sales.

The best records of 2014 are floating out there somewhere ... let's hope the bands / artists that made them haven't quit the industry before they get noticed.

Comment

• Just put on this giant playlist and groove -

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/12/370395...-songs-of-2014

Comment

• Is anyone familiar with ...And You Will Know Us From the Trail of Dead? I ran across them on YouTube, and they might have set their hooks into me.

Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I'm sure friarfan's familiar with this one.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• My wife shared this with me. Most excellent. The new lyrics for the occasion are outstanding.

Comment

• It really could use more cowbell.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Another one in the country vein. This guy is a great storyteller with a great voice.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I have one record of their records from about 10 years ago ... Miss Machine. Haven't listened to them in a long time. But I've been listening to a band called Converge a lot lately, and see DEP mentioned a lot in relation to them. This record is really intense ... if you like the heavier DEP stuff, you'll no doubt dig this.

Comment

• This is from the tv show Midnight Special.

Comment

• Same show 1978. For you Cars fans.

Comment

• Butch Walker and The Let's Go Out Tonights - Bethamphetamine:

Last edited by madducks; 04-03-2015, 02:08 AM.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Butch Walker & The Black Widows - Synthesizers:

Last edited by madducks; 04-03-2015, 02:33 AM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• And here's one for the Styx fans. Great (and funny) Dennis DeYoung impersonation by the multi-talented Walker.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X