Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldie but goodie.

Comment

• What a great song!! WHAT A GREAT FUCKING SONG!!!!!!

Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-07-2014, 11:24 AM.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Going to see Brit Floyd tonight. If they play the same show as last night, it is a really cool setlist that includes:

"Fat Old Sun"
        "Careful with that Axe Eugene"
        "Set the Controls.."
        "Childhoods End"
        "Astronomy Domine"
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I never listened to "Obscured By Clouds" from Pink Floyd until last week. HOLY SHIT!! what a fantastic album! It is a sort of precursor to Dark Side.

My favorite cut is:

Comment

• i love obscured by clouds - awesome album.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Was digging through my music folders and re-discovered The Eames Era... pretty sure Controller J (aka Slider aka Nascarfan aka Scott) introduced me to this now defunct band .... so many great tunes

Comment

• Japan is a strange old place

Comment

• Had this on loop for about an hour today ... they're playing Belfast in May, reckon I'll check them out. Working through The Handsome Family's back catalogue now. The song is called "Far From Any Road".

I miss Rust Cohle already.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Japan is a strange old place

I dig this! No, I LOVE THIS TUNE!

and this quote about it, "Somewhere in Norway there is a metalhead in corpse paint standing in a forest crying tears of blood."
                    Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• So I'm having to rebuild all my playlists, because dufus here didn't save them before re-installing Windows.

Digging into some stuff I haven't listened to in ages ...

Comment

• Added the F's today

Comment

• Has there been a changing of the guard at Rolling Stone magazine? This is the best "list" I've seen Rolling Stone release, and the first time I've see an RS list that isn't completely obsessed with the classic rock era. It's actually quite up to date, and seems to appreciate and understand post early-90's music, which is not something you tend to associate with RS.

IMO they approach the list in the right way - emphasizing genuine debuts (new music from new artists), as opposed to the "first record by a band" approach (hence the rabble rabble response to LZ1 and Ten not being in the top 10).

Obviously, you can't please everyone or suit every music taste, but I could sit and listen to almost every record on this list and still be a little bit excited.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-100-greatest-debut-albums-of-all-time-20130322/licensed-to-ill-19691231

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            So Led Zeppelin I is 29th on the list of best 500 albums of all time but is 72nd on this list. Lol.

I guess if you want to elevate albums put out by bands that really never got that good ever again and penalize those that went on to even greater things. Seems like a stupid way to do a list to me.
                            LZ1 should be a lot higher. I think they unfairly suffer from the "new band / artist" approach. I guess they assumed that because LZ were already a hardened experienced bunch of musicians before they formed LZ that they weren't exactly a "new thing". I can't think of any other reason to put it so low. I don't think that's really fair. Yes, Jimmy Page in particular had already spent most of the 60's years in the recording studio with the Yardbirds and as a session musician ... JP Jones was a go-to session bass player throughout the 60's ... between them, they must have contributed to dozens (maybe hundreds) of records. But it's not like they had a ton of previous releases solely attributed to them ... I don't think Page released that many records with The Yardbirds (1 or 2?). Putting it at 72 is a bit silly.

Pearl Jam are probably lower than they should be because of Mother Love Bone and Green River, both of whom released "debuts" prior to Ten. Then again, that was only half of Pearl Jam (Gossard and Ament). Vedder and McCready had nothing to do with those projects, and Mike McCready probably has a stronger presence on Ten than any of the follow up records.

Also reflects the fact that bands from the classical period were given time to grow into their skins. Unlike today, were bands get dropped if their sales drop from one record to the next. These days The Rolling Stones would never have got a chance to reach their golden period.

The records preferenced on the list are mostly new bands / artists who were also new to recording when they released their debuts. I like the list because I prefer that approach to judging "debut" albums. I mean "Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1" is technically the debut release of The Travelling Wibury's, but it'd be silly to call that the debut record for Dylan, Harrison, Petty etc

The great debuts IMO are like bolts from the blue. That's how I prefer to see them, and that list does a great job of cataloging some of the best (unusually for RS) ... and giving their dues to some of the great releases from the last 15 years ... which normally don't get enough credit from the traditional publications.

Comment

• I think there are some GWAR fans here. RIP.

"Dave Brockie, who fronted the heavy metal band Gwar using the stage name Oderus Urungus, has been found dead in his Richmond, Va., home. He was 50.

According to band manager Jack Flanagan, one of Brockie's bandmates found him Sunday evening. Richmond police spokeswoman Dionne Waugh says officers received a report of a dead person at the home shortly before 7 p.m.

"It is with a saddened heart that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician and lead singer of Gwar passed away," Flanagan said in a statement released Monday. According to Flanagan, Brockie's next of kin has been notified and Richmond authorities plan to conduct a full autopsy. "My main focus right now is to look after my bandmates and his family. More information regarding his death shall be released as the details are confirmed."

Comment

• there are no GWAR fans, only slaves and survivors.....
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X