Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a Cheap Trick story for Adam.

My friend Andy has been involved in some great projects over the years (Secret Mommy and Winning are my two favourites), but he started out in a punk band called DBS as a 12 year old in the early 90's. DBS got a ton of press, signed by Joey S#!thead Keithley of DOA, and toured North America a few times in high school.

On one tour, they were stopped at a gas station when Rick Nielson approaches Andy. After a bit of conversation, he says to Andy "hey, I'm in a band too. We're called Cheap Trick." Andy just thought it was funny, the way that he said it, as opposed to just saying "I'm in Cheap Trick." Nice touch of humility.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

One of my favourite obscurities from a few years back is the Gowns album Red State. The band never gained any traction, and they're now broken up.

Fortunately, the singer's new project is a buzz band called EMA. I'm not sure I like it quite as much as Gowns, but it's good stuff. I saw them live a month ago, opening for Kurt Vile and the Violators. The crowd didn't give a damn, but I was pretty blown away.

"white like heaven" is one of my favourite songs, ever.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I'm really excited to see this band soon. Chill, happy, slightly weird indie folk-pop.

Comment

This was always one of my favourite pieces of classical music when I was a student ... heard it for the first time in years yesterday: St Matthew Passion, JS Bach

The final movement is epic ...

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Some good old fashioned rock 'n roll, courtesy of Valient Thorr.

Interesting...

Valient Thorr's Double Crossed:

I count the days til you will pay and you must take me higher
            Take me higher
            Take me higher
            Take me higher

Creed's Higher:

Can you take me higher?
            To a place where blind men see
            Can you take me higher?
            To a place with golden streets

And this...

Valient Thorr's Double Crossed:

There's no denying that you're a liar
            You're a liar
            You're a liar
            You're a liar

B.J. Thomas's Satan, You're A Liar:

Satan, you're a liar
            You're a liar
            You should know by now I know you are a liar

Plagiarists. Hmmph.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

anyone want to loan me $10,000? The lead singer of The Wildhearts is selling his guitar. The ONLY guitar he's ever used.

Basically if you ever saw The Wildhearts I was playing this guitar and if you ever heard The Wildhearts then you were listening to this guitar. Every song was written, played and recorded with this instrument. THIS is history.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                anyone want to loan me $10,000? The lead singer of The Wildhearts is selling his guitar. The ONLY guitar he's ever used.
                3 days to go ... and all proceeds go to charity ... pretty cool.

Had a friend at uni many moons ago who was a Wildhearts obsessive.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  3 days to go ... and all proceeds go to charity ... pretty cool.

Had a friend at uni many moons ago who was a Wildhearts obsessive.
                  Yeah, it is very cool that he's donating the money. He's a pretty cool guy. They are my brother's favorite band, he's flown out to England twice to see them. I've driven from Boston to NYC to see them several times. They are like a heavier version of Cheap Trick, their first album is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Downed
                    Southern Girls
                    Never Had A Lot to Lose
                    Lookout
                    He's a Whore
                    She's Tight
                    How Are You?
                    Takin' Me Back
                    Invaders of the Heart
                    Don't Make Our Love A Crime
                    I Want You
                    If You Want My Love
                    Oo la la La
                    Hot Love
                    Come on, Come On
                    Dream Police
                    Time is Runnin'
                    Big Eyes
                    ELO Kiddies

In no specific order those songs are all better than "I Want You to Want Me" and probably "Surrender" and I love those two songs. My point is that Cheap Trick are a band that goes way beyond their hits.

FYI, if anyone says the like The Flame I'll find you and punch you.

The goofiness of Rick Neilson cause them to never be taken seriously but Neilson is easily one of the most underrated guitar players ever and Robin Zander has one of the best voices in rock. Damn, now I'm gonna stay up late listening to Cheap Trick.
                    No they are not Some excellent tunes there, but "I want you to want me" is power pop nirvana.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      No they are not Some excellent tunes there, but "I want you to want me" is power pop nirvana.
                      THIS is power pop nirvana

Comment

You can lead a horse to water...

Seriously, way to go out on a limb there with your choice of favorite Cheap Trick song.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

I had a girl sleep with me because I played "Beat Surrender" at my party.....of course, her name was "Roach", so not exactly peaches and gravy....
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

You can lead a horse to water...

Seriously, way to go out on a limb there with your choice of favorite Cheap Trick song.
                            you know Bucky sometimes the most popular tune from a band just happens to be the best song from that band. Like Stairway to heaven. It happens.

I guess you just happen to be one of those dudes who loves to show off their "coolness" by stating that the popular songs aren't the best. You know, to go against the grain I do that sometimes too.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

it's ok, but it's no "I want you to want me"

Comment

you know Bucky sometimes the most popular tune from a band just happens to be the best song from that band. Like Stairway to heaven. It happens.

I guess you just happen to be one of those dudes who loves to show off their "coolness" by stating that the popular songs aren't the best. You know, to go against the grain I do that sometimes too.
                                Oh yeah, you got me I care about what others think. Why is it you always feel the need to attack a person when you have a discussion? I find that really sad and reminds me why I usually prefer to ignore you.

The thing about "I Want You to Want Me" is that I don't think it accurately represents the sound that Cheap Trick are; especially considering the fact that they have always hated the production of that album.

It's ok that it's your favorite song but all I'm saying is that I believe it shows that you aren't as well versed in their catalog. I believe that if you ask Cheap Trick fans what their favorite song is I really doubt they'd come up with "I Want You to Want Me."

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X