No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move over Beyonce. Alexis Brown will kick your ass and enjoy it.

Last edited by ; 03-25-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I heard this catchy, pop-rockish song on the radio at a car dealer, of all places, and used my iPhone's 'SoundHound' app to find out who sang it.

Here's The Kings' "Switchin' to Glide" from 1980 (starts at the 3:10 mark):

Comment

Ah some good 70s power pop. Have some more.

Give this one a chance, it's kicks in about 45 seconds in, or just skip to there.

I find it amazing how many of these bands there were that went almost unnoticed.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          Ah some good 70s power pop. Have some more.

I find it amazing how many of these bands there were that went almost unnoticed.
          Agreed. I had never heard of The Kings before, but apparently they're a popular Canadian band and that song was a big hit in '80. Blew past me, I'm glad I caught it on some XM station.

The late 70s/early 80s were apparently heavily influenced by The Knack/REO Speedwagon/Supertramp as all 3 of those songs can trace their roots to them.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            Agreed. I had never heard of The Kings before, but apparently they're a popular Canadian band and that song was a big hit in '80. Blew past me, I'm glad I caught it on some XM station.

The late 70s/early 80s were apparently heavily influenced by The Knack/REO Speedwagon/Supertramp as all 3 of those songs can trace their roots to them.
            You are probably right but I don't like the idea that the bands that I like were influenced by REO Speedwagon and Supertramp. Those two bands were around at the same time as The Knack so I'd say they were more their contemporaries, they just didn't get to have that one hit; 20/20 formed in 1977. I don't know much about Heroes other than the album was released in 1980, one year after The Knack's first album.

This is my favorite power pop band, I have no idea why they weren't huge while The Knack were. Paul Collins put out two albums betwen 1979 and 1981, one under the name The Beat, then by the name The Paul Collins' Beat and they are just mind numbingly amazing power pop. Paul Collins was also in a band called The Nerves with Peter Case, unfortunately they only released on EP (but that EP contains Hanging on the Telephone that Blonde made famous.

This song sounds like it could have been from the 50s, this is probably one of my favorite songs ever.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I offer the finest rock of Croatia.....

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

If that's the best that Croatia has to offer they can keep it.

I want to get back to power pop as I realized that the best power pop band is actually the hugely underrated band from Rockford Illinois Cheap Trick. Here is perhaps my favorite song of theirs. Though any real fan of Cheap Trick can't possibly pick one song as their favorite. So ok, I'll offer two from their second album.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Comment

A documentary of my favorite band, see avatar, is coming out. I can't wait to see this.

Filmage Teaser from Deedle LaCour on Vimeo.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

If that's the best that Croatia has to offer they can keep it.

I want to get back to power pop as I realized that the best power pop band is actually the hugely underrated band from Rockford Illinois Cheap Trick. Here is perhaps my favorite song of theirs. Though any real fan of Cheap Trick can't possibly pick one song as their favorite. So ok, I'll offer two from their second album.

Bun E. Carlos is the coolest drummer of all time!

"I want you to want me" is one the best power songs ever created.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        While in med school, my wife assisted in a surgery on this guy...he gave everyone involved backstage passes but we weren't able to go.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

"I want you to want me" is one the best power songs ever created.
                          "I Want You to Want Me" is a fantastic song but it's probably the not even in the top 20 songs by Cheap Trick. It's just the song that got played all the time.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

"I Want You to Want Me" is a fantastic song but it's probably the not even in the top 20 songs by Cheap Trick. It's just the song that got played all the time.
                            "surrender" is my favorite cheap trick song
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Downed
                              Southern Girls
                              Never Had A Lot to Lose
                              Lookout
                              He's a Whore
                              She's Tight
                              How Are You?
                              Takin' Me Back
                              Invaders of the Heart
                              Don't Make Our Love A Crime
                              I Want You
                              If You Want My Love
                              Oo la la La
                              Hot Love
                              Come on, Come On
                              Dream Police
                              Time is Runnin'
                              Big Eyes
                              ELO Kiddies

In no specific order those songs are all better than "I Want You to Want Me" and probably "Surrender" and I love those two songs. My point is that Cheap Trick are a band that goes way beyond their hits.

FYI, if anyone says the like The Flame I'll find you and punch you.

The goofiness of Rick Neilson cause them to never be taken seriously but Neilson is easily one of the most underrated guitar players ever and Robin Zander has one of the best voices in rock. Damn, now I'm gonna stay up late listening to Cheap Trick.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                While in med school, my wife assisted in a surgery on this guy...he gave everyone involved backstage passes but we weren't able to go.
                                And yes Bun E is the best. Here is an example, his drumming here is amazing.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X