Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I always think of this as the "new" CoC. Old school CoC to me is this, back when they were complete thrashers. Love me some thrash music.

I always loved the riffs in this one:

Although their first 5 or 6 albums were all pretty solid, whether they were playing hardcore punk or groove thrash.

Comment

• Anyone like a band from Phoenix called Andrew Jackson Jihad? Kind of a folk-punk thing.

Comment

• this blog has some amusing music commentary that many of will understand

http://youlooknicetoday.com/episode/good-part

and Johnny clear out your messages

Comment

• This drummer rules, you gotta wait for it, but it's worth it.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            This drummer rules, you gotta wait for it, but it's worth it.
            Epic ... clearly a frustrated jazz drummer ... the Japs love their jazz.

Comment

• Kept hearing this in the postseason coverage

There are 4/5 songs from Bruce's last 2 records that could easily have sat alongside his classic tracks from the 70's ... but they still sound fresh.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 10-13-2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• I heard they were hit and miss live ... but who'da thought

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  I heard they were hit and miss live ... but who'da thought

Wow, that was truly terrible.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Wow, that was truly terrible.
                    But it's a 100x better when you realize it's a shred

Comment

• New music from down under. eldiablo505 might like this.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Hey, I do like that! Reminds me of At the Drive In or The Mars Volta.

Also cool that they have (maybe) a baseball-related name. Stan Coveleski gets picked periodically in the Vintage Drafts.
                        Cool, yeah I hear At the Drive In, I was thinking Hot Snakes. Check them out if you don't know them. Could be a baseball reference, though being from Australia I don't how popular baseball is down there that they would know him.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I am fascinated by War Babies, the 1974 Hall & Oates album produced by Todd Rundgren. It sounds nothing like the folky soul of most early H&O or their huge hits of the early '80s. No, it sounds like... a mid '70s Todd Rundgren or Utopia album. You would have no idea this was Hall & Oates if not for the vocals (and even then, Daryl Hall and Todd have some vocal similarities.) The production, the arrangements, and the playing (Todd handles most of the lead guitar parts and future members of Utopia are on bass and drums) make this sound like a lost Rundgren album. Even the song titles sound more like stuff Todd would come up with than H&O would. Yet it's a project that has nothing in common whatsoever with the rest of H&O's career.

It's really more of interest for Todd fans than for H&O fans.

This file has the opening two tracks, which are among the most successful.

Related observation: It's been said that John Entwistle had the misfortune of being a good songwriter in a band with a great one. I think John Oates had the misfortune of being a good singer in a band with a great one.
                          Last edited by Erik; 10-27-2012, 08:45 PM.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• !!! would be a really crap name for a band.

Myth Takes is seriously one of the best indie-punk-dance albums of the 00's ... better than any LCD Soundsystem record ... and they get no recognition, because you can't even Google their name.

Comment

• Seapony:

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                                Seapony:
                                Nice ... reminds me of the Stone Roses.

EDIT: arrrghhhh ... I can't place what Stone Roses song that hook reminds me off ... this will drive me nuts

Meh ... I dunno. I'll leave this here anyway ... always loved John Squire's understated guitar playing (the riffs in this song got royally ripped off over the consequent 10 years).

Last edited by johnnya24; 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X