No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used to think "lost shaker of salt" in "Margaritaville" was something like "la shigerasa". Wasn't quite sure what it meant, but I figured it was some sort of party he was searching for in Spanish.

Comment

• What a douchebag ...

A Meat Loaf tribute artist from Lancashire is fighting a $100,000 (£64,000) writ from the US rock star, who accuses him of being a “cybersquatter and online imposter”.

Dean Torkington, 49, from Burnley, Lancashire, has used the MeatLoaf.org domain name since 2000. Torkington, who has performed his show To Hell And Back: (A Tribute to Meatloaf) for 16 years, argues that since he has shed 11 stone in the last two years, he could no longer be considered a “dead ringer” for the well-upholstered rocker.

The tribute artist accused the Bat Out of Hell singer of acting out of jealousy because the Meat substitute had received better reviews.

A writ, issued in Los Angeles using Meat Loaf’s real name Michael Aday, names Torkington as a “cybersquatter”. It claims he has “commercially exploited the internet top-level domain name MeatLoaf.org to capitalise on the artist’s celebrity”. The real Meat Loaf, 64, uses the website www.meatloaf.net.
      Suing a fan, who is just trying to earn a living, and is promoting your brand while you are sitting on your ass doing nothing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/meat-loaf-launches-100000-lawsuit-against-tribute-act-accusing-him-of-being-an-online-imposter-7956846.html

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        I used to think "lost shaker of salt" in "Margaritaville" was something like "la shigerasa". Wasn't quite sure what it meant, but I figured it was some sort of party he was searching for in Spanish.
        I used to think it was "lost Yeager's heart." No, that does not make a lick of sense.

By the way, did you know the phenomenon of misheard lyrics has a name? They're called mondegreens. Who knew? [/Claven]
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          What a douchebag ...

Suing a fan, who is just trying to earn a living, and is promoting your brand while you are sitting on your ass doing nothing.
          You'd think he'd be grateful that anyone is bothering to keep the memory of his marginal career alive.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
            solid mashup of "where is my mind" and "in a world gone mad"

that was awesome!
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Just saw the documentary for the Archers of Loaf. I can't imagine there are too many people who even know who these guys are but they are one of my favorite bands of all time. There isn't a single band that sounds like these guys.

Here's one of their best songs.

Here's the trailer for the documentary.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Another of my favorites of theirs. I think this gives a better idea of how unique their sound is. It also shows how amazing their drummer is.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  I like 'em. That's good stuff.
                  Had you head them before or is this new to you? I'm glad you like them. They have always been lumped into the indie rock scene, which they were definitely part of but they had a much harder edge to them.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    Had you head them before or is this new to you? I'm glad you like them. They have always been lumped into the indie rock scene, which they were definitely part of but they had a much harder edge to them.
                    The songs are ok. But i didn't hear anything really unique about them. they sound like your average rock and roll band.

Mary's Danish is a unique band that sound like no one else:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      The songs are ok. But i didn't hear anything really unique about them. they sound like your average rock and roll band.

Mary's Danish is a unique band that sound like no one else:

Really? So you hear bands with crazy angular guitars like that all the time on the radio? Interesting, but not surprising.

So who do they sound like?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• If you are hearing bands that sound like this I want to know about it. I mean, what's on the radio these days, Vampire Weekend, Foster the People? Those guys can go f*ck themselves they suck so band.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

If you are hearing bands that sound like this I want to know about it. I mean, what's on the radio these days, Vampire Weekend, Foster the People? Those guys can go f*ck themselves they suck so band.
                          Why would you hate on Vampire Weekend? They're one of the most unique bands playing today.

Superchunk fans might dig this:

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            Why would you hate on Vampire Weekend? They're one of the most unique bands playing today.

Superchunk fans might dig this:

I do like Cloud Nothings, though I haven't got into the newest album yet.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Apparently these guys have been around for a little while, but this new song is pretty cool - it's basically about a couple splitting up their record collection while sharing some music-related anecdotes from their past:

Comment

Really? So you hear bands with crazy angular guitars like that all the time on the radio? Interesting, but not surprising.

So who do they sound like?
                                They don't sound like any band in particular, they just don't hit me as having a distinctive enough sound, based on the clips you posted, to say they stand out from the crowd.

I don't listen to much radio so i wasn't comparing them to current bands.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X