X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Happy birthday, by the way!
    Thanks!
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Yes, Happy Birthday.

There wasn't that much horrible new stuff in the Stones draft. It seemed that when the choice became new or more obscure, the drafters went more obscure.

And it was "Afghan Whigs", by the way. And they were super.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        Yes, Happy Birthday.

There wasn't that much horrible new stuff in the Stones draft. It seemed that when the choice became new or more obscure, the drafters went more obscure.

And it was "Afghan Whigs", by the way. And they were super.
        His grammar and spelling is questionable to say the least

Comment

I absolutely want no part of that. Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about the terrible crap you guys will dredge up. "Sonic Youth was so progressive!" "Nick Cave didn't suck at all!" "Remember the Afghan Wigs? Yeah, they were super!"
          There is more than a little Sonic Youth influence on Fugazi. Nick Cave is very hit and miss ... mostly miss. Afghan Whigs were pretty good ... hadn't listened to them in years until you mentioned them.

Comment

Uh, sure there is.
            Ah denial

Been listening to Fugazi, Husker Du most of the day, with some Afghan Whigs thrown in later. Haven't listened to that stuff in years. I wonder if the neighbors approve. Late 80's and early 90's rocked. Must suck being 18 today ... then again, I suppose every has-been generation says that about the present.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              There is more than a little Sonic Youth influence on Fugazi. Nick Cave is very hit and miss ... mostly miss. Afghan Whigs were pretty good ... hadn't listened to them in years until you mentioned them.
              I always thought Fugazi was more influenced by Bad Brains, Black Flag and Rites of Spring.

Comment

• According to worldoffugazi.org Mackaye is a big Jimi Hendrix fan.

Ian is a big Jimi Hendrix fan. He has said that his influences are Jimi, Janis Joplin, the Beatles, Ted nugent, Queen, and Cheap Trick.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  I always thought Fugazi was more influenced by Bad Brains, Black Flag and Rites of Spring.
                  For sure ... just having a petty dig at ElD ... I think the were also influenced by a lot of stuff people wouldn't typically associate with punk or hardcore ... reggae, soul, funk, groove. I liked them because their sound was based on heavy grooves, like RHCP at their best ... but less funk and more punk. They are probably the reason why I liked some bands like the Deftones ... although I hated that whole nu-metal scene in the late 90's / early 00's.

Comment

For sure ... just having a petty dig at ElD ... I think the were also influenced by a lot of stuff people wouldn't typically associate with punk or hardcore ... reggae, soul, funk, groove.
                    I agree. The best punk, hardcore, and indie bands had those influences, which made me discover stuff amazing like this many years ago:

Comment

For sure ... just having a petty dig at ElD ... I think the were also influenced by a lot of stuff people wouldn't typically associate with punk or hardcore ... reggae, soul, funk, groove. I liked them because their sound was based on heavy grooves, like RHCP at their best ... but less funk and more punk. They are probably the reason why I liked some bands like the Deftones ... although I hated that whole nu-metal scene in the late 90's / early 00's.
                      By the way, based on what you're saying, I think you'd love the Classics of Love full-length. Heavy DC hardcore influences mixed with Jesse's love for ska, reggae, and hip-hop:

Comment

Best punk/ska band of all time, yo!

Absolutely. Which is why you'll love Classics of Love. Same guy. I'll be damned if this doesn't sound just like Op Ivy but better -- and Jesse's vocals haven't lost a thing 25 years later.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                          I agree. The best punk, hardcore, and indie bands had those influences, which made me discover stuff amazing like this many years ago:
                          Love me some early Bob Marley ...

Brilliant comment on YouTube

"67 Jamaicans confused the 'dislike' button as 'dis I like'"

Comment

Best punk/ska band of all time, yo!
                            Ah good memories of Ska nights at The Arts Centre in Colchester. Ska: making bad dancers feel good and good dancers feel awkward.

Comment

• The Offspring do pop/punk as well as anyone. They create such catchy tunes:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                The Offspring do pop/punk as well as anyone. They create such catchy tunes:
                                That's a common misconception. They actually suck. If you want pop punk listen to The Descendents, Mr T Experience, Jawbreaker.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X