Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.06 Throwing Muses

Kristen Hersch probably could be 1.01 in the eccentricity stakes ... the strangely compelling, entrancing and somewhat scary wide-eyed stare ... check out some 80's Throwing Muses videos and performances for the real stare

Almost picked "Your Ghost" in the Desert Island draft

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Let go back a little further, shall we?
      Actually not a band I know that well ... I could have probably really liked them back in the day when that classic punk sound was still fresh. Wonder if they ever had any impact in the UK ... no real details from their wiki page.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        1.06 Throwing Muses

Kristen Hersch probably could be 1.01 in the eccentricity stakes ... the strangely compelling, entrancing and somewhat scary wide-eyed stare ... check out some 80's Throwing Muses videos and performances for the real stare

Almost picked "Your Ghost" in the Desert Island draft

Spain is her best song, I can't find a good youtube clip of it though.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Actually not a band I know that well ... I could have probably really liked them back in the day when that classic punk sound was still fresh. Wonder if they ever had any impact in the UK ... no real details from their wiki page.
          I'm pretty sure they were well known back then, not as big as the Clash obviously, but known.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I dig me some Cat Power and like some Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but Bjork just does nothing for me. I'll have to listen to the rest to formulate an opinion, but it seems like female-fronted bands aren't usually in my wheelhouse.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they were well known back then, not as big as the Clash obviously, but known.
              which band you talking about?

X was very big and considered important
              John Doe came from there and is still relevant

Xene Cervenka had a cool sound and we played this song over and over until Wild Gift was worn out

this is more current

and this is just a great song with Dave Alvin - of the Blasters

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                which band you talking about?

X was very big and considered important
                John Doe came from there and is still relevant

Xene Cervenka had a cool sound and we played this song over and over until Wild Gift was worn out
                I was assuming he was asking about X-Ray Spex.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I was assuming he was asking about X-Ray Spex.
                  Nah ... I was talking about X ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_(American_band) ... wires got crossed.

Talk about jumping to conclusions ... spent 30 minutes last night wondering how this LA chick is putting on such a good east London accent

As for X, heard of them ... know nothing about them really. Apparently big Stateside.

Comment

• X-ray spex - never heard of them
                    but
                    X - check them out Johnny - they were big and John Doe still plays more country punk and folk kind of stuff

listen to those tunes and search on youtube

Some US bands are just particular to the US and vice versa

also
                    How about the Pretenders for a great female fronted new wave / punkish / pop band?

Comment

How about the Pretenders for a great female fronted new wave / punkish / pop band?
                      Not sure I'd call Chrissie Hyde that eccentric ... she always seemed very grounded.

Comment

X-ray spex - never heard of them
                        That song I posted is probably their most well known. They only put out one album.

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                        also
                        If you want to go there then let's just start and end with Blonde. But I think Johnny was trying to stay in the weird side of women singers and X probably doesn't really fit that but X-Ray Spex certainly does.

Johnny, I'm surprised you don't know X, definitely check them out.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Not sure I'd call Chrissie Hyde that eccentric ... she always seemed very grounded.
                          grounded - sort of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrissie_Hynde

I am just happy that no one has mentioned Joanna Newsom - YUCK

Comment

Johnny, I'm surprised you don't know X, definitely check them out
                            Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            X - check them out Johnny - they were big and John Doe still plays more country punk and folk kind of stuff
                            Another for the ever growing "to-do" list.

Problem is I find a new song I like ... and I can end up putting it on repeat all day ... then going back again and again until I get bored. Lately it's been "Nothing In The Silence" from Belle and Sebastian. I think the only released version of this song was on the BBC Sessions record ... it might have been a B-Side ...

Comment

• 1.07 -Kim Deal

What do I win?

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                1.07 -Kim Deal

What do I win?

I like her just fine but she's hardly eccentric, especially Driving on 9. You would have been better off going with a Pixies song.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X