Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    Most people say Dylan, some say the Violent Femmes, these guys remind me more of what I like of the Hold Steady than anything else...

Nice! I posted a video of theirs in the old thread, glad to see them resurrected.

Saw them pretty recently at a small venue here in LA and they rocked the house pretty hard. The new album's pretty good if you haven't heard it yet.

Here's my favorite track of theirs:

as well as a great song from the new album:

Comment

• I don't hear the Hold Steady at all. He does sound just like Dylan, he's even trying to sign like him. I do hear a little Gordon Gano as well.

I just sum it up this way, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• One of my favorite songs of all time...

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          I saw the Archers of Loaf this past weekend in NYC and they were amazing, it was as if they didn't take 13 years off. Here is a good article about them. Here is my favorite quote.

And here is their best song.

Here is a great article about the reissue of the Archers of Loaf's first album.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I was thinking this thread needed to make a comeback

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              I was thinking this thread needed to make a comeback
              I post things but no one seems to like my music.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I post things but no one seems to like my music.
                Just because people don't reply doesn't mean they don't listen.

Judging from the recent rock draft ... there are enough folk on here with similar tastes.

Keep posting!

Comment

• that's because you are a music snob.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    that's because you are a music snob.
                    Quite Mith. Yeah, I know I'm a music snob.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Just because people don't reply doesn't mean they don't listen.

Judging from the recent rock draft ... there are enough folk on here with similar tastes.

Keep posting!
                      Yeah, I suppose so, I hope so, Thanks. I just like to hear some feedback or opinions. For example, The Archers of Loaf are one of my favorite bands of all time but no one talked about any of my posts. I'm not complaining or trying to force people do anything. I just like to talk about them.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Yeah, I suppose so, I hope so, Thanks. I just like to hear some feedback or opinions. For example, The Archers of Loaf are one of my favorite bands of all time but no one talked about any of my posts. I'm not complaining or trying to force people do anything. I just like to talk about them.
                        I listen to everything posted here, truly. And I appreciate the posts, because I'm not very aggressive about seeking out new music on my own anymore. I won't comment if I don't like something, because I don't want to discourage people from sharing.

I think I'm starting to understand why so many people quit seeking out new music as they get older, though. Once your collection gets big enough, everything new sounds like something you already have. If you already have a bunch of stuff by *insert old band name here*, there's not much thrill in hearing a band that sounds like *insert old band name here*, even if it's good music.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          I think I'm starting to understand why so many people quit seeking out new music as they get older, though. Once your collection gets big enough, everything new sounds like something you already have. If you already have a bunch of stuff by *insert old band name here*, there's not much thrill in hearing a band that sounds like *insert old band name here*, even if it's good music.
                          I'm always still seeking out new music (just most likely not newly released music), there are always some style or sub genre or era that hasn't been totally explored. I was happy that I heard a new band the other day. A band from Atlanta, they had to be barely in their 20s and writing some good power pop stuff that sounded like it could have been from 30-40 years ago. It was refreshing to hear. My problem with new music is that it just doesn't have any bite to it, it's so wimpy.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• love Lady Gaga..
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X