Will Smith vs Chris Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    This may be the most absurd thing you have ever said on these boards. Perhaps purposefully inflammatory, but like Rock, I will refrain from engaging.
    I was being facetious. Blown away that everybody took my statement literally.

As I've mentioned, I think if you try to make an example of Will Smith by removing him from the Academy when they've never done the same for multiple convicted rapists, then yeah, their priorities are fucked up. I know Smith voluntarily resigned, but I've also heard there's a committee meeting to decide his fate within the Academy. My assertion is that removing him because what he did is worse than previous members is 100% laughable grandstanding. Unless they want to start down the 'morals clause' route, in which case we'll be spending Oscar season debating which actors and actresses are bigger cretins in their personal lives as opposed to acting talent. That prospect doesn't thrill me. But if you advocate for Smith's removal, you must advocate for a full-on witch hunt. I disagree with that approach. But I'm also 100% in support of a steroid wing in the MLB HOF, so I'm coming in with a different perspective than most. I would hope nobody wants to go the MLB HOF route.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Jerrod Carmichael's monologue while hosting SNL this week was awesome.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        Jerrod Carmichael's monologue while hosting SNL this week was awesome.

Yeah, I did not know him before, but he has amazing stage presence. I am gonna check out his special.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          I was being facetious. Blown away that everybody took my statement literally.

As I've mentioned, I think if you try to make an example of Will Smith by removing him from the Academy when they've never done the same for multiple convicted rapists, then yeah, their priorities are fucked up. I know Smith voluntarily resigned, but I've also heard there's a committee meeting to decide his fate within the Academy. My assertion is that removing him because what he did is worse than previous members is 100% laughable grandstanding. Unless they want to start down the 'morals clause' route, in which case we'll be spending Oscar season debating which actors and actresses are bigger cretins in their personal lives as opposed to acting talent. That prospect doesn't thrill me. But if you advocate for Smith's removal, you must advocate for a full-on witch hunt. I disagree with that approach. But I'm also 100% in support of a steroid wing in the MLB HOF, so I'm coming in with a different perspective than most. I would hope nobody wants to go the MLB HOF route.
          The academy has removed people like Weinstein and Polanski before, though. You can certainly argue that what Smith did does not warrant removal, but if they did, it would not be them equating the slap with rape. It just means there are lots of things that can get you removed from the academy, including horrific crimes, and lesser offenses like going on stage and committing assault and battery on a host. I still think he deserves his Oscar and he could have still gotten it if he had been removed. I just do not think it should be acceptable to attack a performer and get to stick around after. I don't even care if he stayed in the Academy or not, but I do not see the argument for letting him stay there that night, or for letting him ever go to the event again. He has shown himself incapable of controlling himself, and if I were on the stage as a comedian, I would be uncomfortable with him being allowed to be in the audience. It seems like a lot else was going on in his head and he had a bad lapse of judgment. I hope he sees that and is working on those issues. I have enjoyed his body of work and hope he makes more good movies in the future. But if he wins another Oscar, I also hope he is forced to accept it via Zoom.

Comment

But if he wins another Oscar, I also hope he is forced to accept it via Zoom.
            Jada should accept it in person on his behalf presented to her by Chris Rock
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I want to know why there was no security to keep Smith from taking the stage when he was not supposed to.
              “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                I want to know why there was no security to keep Smith from taking the stage when he was not supposed to.
                because, much like the Spanish Inquisition, no one expected something like this to happen.

Comment

because, much like the Spanish Inquisition, no one expected something like this to happen.
                  For the record I anticipated the Spanish Inquisition
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    For the record I anticipated the Spanish Inquisition
                    dude. NO ONE expects the spanish inquisition!

Comment

Isn't that what security is for? The unexpected? Remember the streaker incident at the Oscars?
                      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                        Isn't that what security is for? The unexpected? Remember the streaker incident at the Oscars?
                        Not as bad as the Rob Lowe/Snow White debacle which was apparently planned-not planned (everyone blaming everyone else) Funny thing, the gal who performed as Snow White was a good friend of mine--the incident pretty much ruined her career Unlike Lowes which was already in the tank.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I watched Jerrod Carmichael's special on HBO last night. It was really good. Although he made it seem like it was unplanned and free form, I think it was very planned, including the audience interactions, but nonetheless, he is a master of the pregnant pause and the off balance punchline, and their seemed to be real pain and emotion under the artifice.

Comment

I watched Jerrod Carmichael's special on HBO last night. It was really good. Although he made it seem like it was unplanned and free form, I think it was very planned, including the audience interactions, but nonetheless, he is a master of the pregnant pause and the off balance punchline, and their seemed to be real pain and emotion under the artifice.
                            I'm a big fan of Carmichael, and I'm sure I'll end up watching his newest special. Thanks for the heads up.

How is it related to Rock/Smith? I'm sure you're being vague to avoid spoilers, but your description of "pain and emotion behind the artifice" has me intrigued.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              I'm a big fan of Carmichael, and I'm sure I'll end up watching his newest special. Thanks for the heads up.

How is it related to Rock/Smith? I'm sure you're being vague to avoid spoilers, but your description of "pain and emotion behind the artifice" has me intrigued.
                              No connection in terms of the special, but he was brought up earlier in this thread, because he did a great job on SNL last week, particularly in his opening monologue (see above) and a skit, both about the Rock/Smith thing. That is what put him on my radar--he made fun of himself for being the least famous host ever on SNL, but was one of the most prepared and smooth hosts I've seen in a long time.

I don't want to spoil the special for you, but it is in a different lane than what folks consider comedy specials. It is really intimate, builds a lot of tension through pauses, relies heavily on personal experience and storytelling. The laughs are spaced out, but really well timed to break the tension

Comment

No connection in terms of the special, but he was brought up earlier in this thread, because he did a great job on SNL last week, particularly in his opening monologue (see above) and a skit, both about the Rock/Smith thing. That is what put him on my radar--he made fun of himself for being the least famous host ever on SNL, but was one of the most prepared and smooth hosts I've seen in a long time.

I don't want to spoil the special for you, but it is in a different lane than what folks consider comedy specials. It is really intimate, builds a lot of tension through pauses, relies heavily on personal experience and storytelling. The laughs are spaced out, but really well timed to break the tension
                                Ah, I spoiled it looking up a trailer. I stopped watching SNL in the last few years so i missed him hosting.

He's an awesome talent, and I'm sure his confessional special will be even more interesting than his usual act.

Comment

Working...
                                X