Dogs in Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Wait, so if i'm a soulless monster am I not allowed to shop at places with dogs ? This doesn't seem fair, I have enough problems just being a soulless monster.
    Johnny Dickshot is slipping.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      What are the things that you do that are similarly inconsiderate?
      I try my best each moment of each day to be thoughtful and considerate when I'm out and about. If I fail, it's unknowing or accidental and once I'm made aware of it--I own it and try my best not to repeat it.

I walk the talk.

Are you inferring I'm inconsiderate? Legitimately asking? Or just more trolling?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        My point was meant to be a lot more lighthearted than that?

And maybe you also miss different nuances of the social contract? e.g., that society doesn't work very well if we're constantly in each other's faces about inconsequential shit?
        Who's to say what's inconsequential and what's not?

Obviously Dogs in store isn't a deal for Gregg, but is for me and my wife at the very least.

Who's sensibilities should be respected in these cases?

Now if Gregg had mentioned he's suffering from a case of Ken's angst and needs fluffy to help him keep his shit together in public, I'd defer to him.

If I mention dogs cause me to sneeze and he, as mentioned, just wants fluffy with him just because, he should defer to me.

That, from my perspective is the social contract.

Society is a participation sport, simply allowing what you believe are transgressions to go unaddressed because people might not want to hear it isn't going to help us evolve past the point we seem stuck in. A selfish, self absorbed, get mine no matter the cost way of life, which you must admit--is where we are at this moment in time for the most part.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

Society is a participation sport, .
          Do we all get trophies?
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

I try my best each moment of each day to be thoughtful and considerate when I'm out and about. If I fail, it's unknowing or accidental and once I'm made aware of it--I own it and try my best not to repeat it.

I walk the talk.

Are you inferring I'm inconsiderate? Legitimately asking? Or just more trolling?
            "more" trolling? I have not ever trolled here, but I'll just ignore that part, no harm.

I'm pretty confident that everything you described about yourself would also be the same attributes, or at least very similar, to how Gregg would describe himself.

I don't think you are "holier" or more thoughtful or considerate than anyone else here, especially Gregg. It seems you do, and that's odd to me.

We all have our flaws and blind spots. You do as well.

If you had come back and mentioned several similar issues that you have noticed in yourself which you are working on correcting, I might give credence to your dog allergy point, but the concept that you are thoughtful and considerate but Gregg isnt.... doesn't resonate at all. Very far fetched and hints at a lack of introspection, which surprises me. Considering your noted proclivity to point out the flaws in others, it's surprising how bad you are at finding them in yourself.

I'm the opposite, I see many, many more flaws in myself than I see in others. But that's a longer discussion than belongs here.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
              Do we all get trophies?
              Only Johnny Dickshot will be trophied up....thanks for your participation
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Only Johnny Dickshot will be trophied up....thanks for your participation
                Must be a small trophy, only Steve 2.0 can do the heavy lifting.

Comment

"more" trolling? I have not ever trolled here, but I'll just ignore that part, no harm.

I'm pretty confident that everything you described about yourself would also be the same attributes, or at least very similar, to how Gregg would describe himself.

I don't think you are "holier" or more thoughtful or considerate than anyone else here, especially Gregg. It seems you do, and that's odd to me.

If you had come back and mentioned several similar issues that you have noticed in yourself which you are working on correcting, I might give credence to your dog allergy point, but the concept that you are thoughtful and considerate but Gregg isnt.... doesn't resonate at all. Very far fetched and hints at a lack of introspection, which surprises me. Considering your noted proclivity to point out the flaws in others, it's surprising how bad you are at finding them in yourself.

I'm the opposite, I see many, many more flaws in myself than I see in others. But that's a longer discussion than belongs here.
                  Johnny Dickshot wants no part of that longer discussion.....
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I have many flaws, inconsideration isn't one of them. If you feel otherwise, please feel free to share an example of my inconsideration.

I am self righteous at times--that's a flaw and annoying, but it's not inconsideration. I'm very self aware and have owned my issues on many occasions, but hey why let that fact get in the way of your continued attempts to exaggerate my issues.

I don't have dander allergies, I was using it as an example. In this case Gregg IS inconsiderate. I won't bring my dog to the store once we get one (this summer) because it's inconsiderate, so yes in this case I would be the considerate one.

Sorry if you take issue with the fact I vocalize when I feel I'm right.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I have many flaws, inconsideration isn't one of them. If you feel otherwise, please feel free to share an example of my inconsideration.
                      I've experienced your inconsideration personally, but that's not worth revisiting. It's more interesting to me on a psychological level that the things you find so flawed in others, you are blinded to in yourself. You are far, far from alone in that, it's probably true for the majority of us, if not all. It's just jarring to see it in action.

I am self righteous at times--that's a flaw and annoying, but it's not inconsideration. I'm very self aware and have owned my issues on many occasions, but hey why let that fact get in the way of your continued attempts to exaggerate my issues.
                      Attempts to exaggerate your issues? Nah, I just disagree with you and I think there's evidence that most of those reading this do as well. In fact, who was agreeing with you?

I don't have dander allergies, I was using it as an example. In this case Gregg IS inconsiderate. I won't bring my dog to the store once we get one (this summer) because it's inconsiderate, so yes in this case I would be the considerate one.
                      It comes across as feigned outrage. Dander is far from the only allergy or the only potential downfall from social interaction. Do you express similar issues with peanuts at ballgames? Do you complain that businesses don't have enough restrooms because kids like mine need them close by? What about bringing kids to the grocery store, they can be quite annoying as well. I think if you want to be mad enough, you can always find a reason to do so.

Sorry if you take issue with the fact I vocalize when I feel I'm right.
                      It's really the lack of perspective and empathy that's the most surprising.

You post a lot of good opinions, even if I disagree with many of them. But there are times like these where you are just way off and completely blind to it. That's okay though! Carry on.

Comment

Wait, so if i'm a soulless monster am I not allowed to shop at places with dogs ? This doesn't seem fair, I have enough problems just being a soulless monster.
                        You make a good point. Why is this limited to dogs? After all, you're a cat.

Comment

You make a good point. Why is this limited to dogs? After all, you're a cat.
                          I'm almost certain I'm not a cat. I may be part of a wolf pack. Regardless, Johnny Dickshot has no limits. Johnny Dickshot just is.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Again, being annoying/self righteous/etc isn't being inconsiderate. Being inconsiderate requires action. I have never knowingly been inconsiderate to you the few times we've interacted in person. Ever. If I have, you never mentioned it--do so now and I can correct that behavior.

I didn't start this thread to have people agree with me. I started it to share how I felt and see if there were others who'd had similar experiences. It's how I feel. It's how my wife feels. I'm certain we're not alone and looking back it only takes seeing the first response to see that at least Collette agrees with my take on Dogs in Public.

I don't equate people to animals. So no I don't have issue with people anywhere as long as their being thoughtful and considerate. Your dander-peanut comparison is not equitable, you should have used cologne or something else you inhale, I believe peanuts must be ingested to cause harm to someone with that allergy.

I do have issue with all kinds of inconsiderate behaviors and I voice my opinions because I want it to stop. If it won't stop--neither will I--I'm the most fucking irritating person on the planet, you'll either stop or punch me or walk away, but you'll damn well know what you're doing is bothering someone else. I find comfort in knowing the offending person is now aware of their inconsideration.

I don't lack perspective, I'm keen on how you respond to me in this forum. If you don't think there's not a specific way you respond to me that's different from everyone else in here, it's you that's lacking perspective. But I believe you know exactly what you say and how you say it and the manner in which it resonates with me. But that's cool--I expect it.

I'm starting to see why Nully prefers cats...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Again, being annoying/self righteous/etc isn't being inconsiderate. Being inconsiderate requires action.
                              I don't understand why you say that. Words can certainly be inconsiderate.

In addition to being inconsiderate, which I think you care about, they can also be counterproductive, which I don't know if you do care about. It seems like you care more about being right and being acknowledged to be right than you do about convincing the other person to change their mind. Again, my earlier comment was mostly made in jest, but in seriousness, I don't think you're going to convince Gregg to change behavior by haranguing him. There is a saying about catching flies with honey versus vinegar.

You mentioned allergies as a problem. Have you had an allergic reaction to dogs in stores? Have you had an unpleasant encounter with a dog jumping on you or something else? I'm not understanding why this feels like such a big issue to you.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Again, being annoying/self righteous/etc isn't being inconsiderate. Being inconsiderate requires action. I have never knowingly been inconsiderate to you the few times we've interacted in person. Ever. If I have, you never mentioned it--do so now and I can correct that behavior.
                                Man I really didn't want to get into that. I'm over it, we've discussed this issue ad nauseam.

I'll avoid details that will only rile you up, and leave it at this, hopefully you don't want to revisit this again and again. The specific reason why our historical spat started, from my perspective, was due to your inconsiderate behavior towards my family. I'm sure you'll disagree, and that's fine. Similarly many of those who you pick fights with similarly disagree with you labelling them inconsiderate.

As you noted above, you tend to be self righteous, so whatever you decide is inconsiderate is by definition inconsiderate, and when others find you similarly inconsiderate... well they must be wrong.

It's... odd that someone as smart as you clearly are can't see the issue with that kind of approach. As I noted above, it's a blind spot, and that's okay.

I didn't start this thread to have people agree with me. I started it to share how I felt and see if there were others who'd had similar experiences. It's how I feel. It's how my wife feels. I'm certain we're not alone and looking back it only takes seeing the first response to see that at least Collette agrees with my take on Dogs in Public.
                                Fair, although Jason also noted he takes his dogs to the park. I guess that would upset you as well, right?

I don't equate people to animals. So no I don't have issue with people anywhere as long as their being thoughtful and considerate. Your dander-peanut comparison is not equitable, you should have used cologne or something else you inhale, I believe peanuts must be ingested to cause harm to someone with that allergy.
                                Oof, it would be hard for you to be more wrong here. Peanut allergies are extreme and only a small amount can trigger reactions. It doesn't have to be ingested either, an allergic individual can get some on their hands and rub their eyes and have an extreme reaction.

It's clear you don't have young kids, lots of events that children are involved in are completely peanut free due to the extreme reactions. (Trust me, "it's okay we won't make the kid who is allergic eat the peanut" isn't a viable response).

I do have issue with all kinds of inconsiderate behaviors and I voice my opinions because I want it to stop. If it won't stop--neither will I--I'm the most fucking irritating person on the planet, you'll either stop or punch me or walk away, but you'll damn well know what you're doing is bothering someone else. I find comfort in knowing the offending person is now aware of their inconsideration.
                                How considerate of you.

I don't lack perspective
                                Sorry if I chuckle at the irony here. Does someone with a blind spot know they lack perspective? Hmmm...

I'm keen on how you respond to me in this forum. If you don't think there's not a specific way you respond to me that's different from everyone else in here, it's you that's lacking perspective. But I believe you know exactly what you say and how you say it and the manner in which it resonates with me. But that's cool--I expect it.
                                It's actually interesting to me the way you respond - you still have this feeling that I'm angry at you when I'm not. You skip over complimentary lines like I posted above "You post a lot of good opinions, even if I disagree with many of them". But okay, if it feels better for you to think I'm angry then have at it! It doesn't upset me in any way, but it's always interesting to me that you still have this misinformed perspective.

I'm starting to see why Nully prefers cats...
                                Fair point.

Comment

Working...
                                X