RJ Greatest B&W Movie commentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Nice pick DMT. I am embarrassed to say I didn't have that on my list and I certainly enjoyed the movie.
    Yeah, wasn't thinking about it but should have. So good.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Wow, haven't seen The Day the Earth Stood Still either.
      Saw it many moons ago...it was pretty powerful as I recall.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

How many rounds are we doing?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Duck Soup is a riot.

Strangers on a Train is fantastic. I love Hitchcock movies. Sure to take one.

Comment

My understanding is 10 rounds. All great picks so far. I was really happy Strangers on a Train would make it back to me. The timing and cinematography is amazing in this. Right up there with Double Indemnity in my book. There is one movie that I'm stunned is still out there. Maybe it'll make it back to me.

I have about 5 movies that I'm saving for the end that may or may not get picked depending on who thinks of what. In doing my homework for this, I've come across a bunch of, "Oh wow. I completely forgot about that" movies.
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

I have a few artsy picks coming up

Comment

I can see already that there will be many of my top movies that arent going to get in. I'll get in as many as I can myself.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  I can see already that there will be many of my top movies that arent going to get in. I'll get in as many as I can myself.
                  Three more of my short list got taken this 3rd round and we aren't done yet. I may have to dip into your pool in a round or two.

Comment

rumble fish francis ford coppola

Comment

sorry gents, was offline most of yesterday boating around eastern Lake Ontario ... picking now ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

7 Samurai was such a great film for so many reasons but to me the main question it poses for the viewer to ponder is "Why did they do it?" I think it was that the villagers had no one else to protect them and that if they didnt do it noone else would and that this was a job to show whether one was a true samurai or not so their sense duty as samurai compelled them to do it. I think this film was similar to "High Noon" in this respect and I wonder if High Noon didnt serve as the inspiration for it (High Noon came out in 1952). Toshiro Mifune played a very different kind of role than the ones he'd become known for but he played the heck out of it. I think Kyuzo's swordfight scene is an epic. IIRC, it was the 2nd Japanese film to be widely distributed in the US and of course "The Magnificent Seven" was an American remake of it.

Comment

Bogey got top billing for "Sierra Madre" but it really was Walter Huston that made the film. His soliloquy about his prospecting adventures and his 2 laughing scenes were epic. One of the unusual things about it is that there are virtually no women characters at all. I recall only one female that had any lines (the swindler's girlfriend) and she had only 1-2 lines. Of course, the film is known for the line "We dont need no stinking badges" but these words actually are never said. The director, John Huston, makes a couple rare cameos and it also features a childhood Robert Blake as the kid that sold the lottery ticket. Ann Sheridan supposedly makes a cameo, too, but I dont know where.

Comment

I'm deviating somewhat from my list where I rank my favorite movies. I've skipped several that I hope to include later if noone else picks them. I want to include at least 1 tearjerker, probably 2, and maybe 1 crime thriller. I think there are at least 7 movies that I feel have to get on and I have only 6 more picks. The crime thriller might not make it.
                            Last edited by rhd; 06-21-2020, 06:53 AM.

Comment

I really thought I would be the proud owner of the Alistair Sims Christmas Carol. It is the best version of that story on film.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                I have a few artsy fartsy picks coming up
                                Fixed that for you.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X