No announcement yet.

RJ Greatest B&W Movie commentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many great Bogey movies, all but 1, I think, in B&W. Casablanca is my favorite movie of all time but beyond that it's hard to pick a favorite. I love "To Have and Have Not". An interesting thing about it is that IIRC it was done on kind of a dare. The director (I forget his name) said that he could make a good movie out of the most mediocre Hemingway book and that became the movie "To Have and Have Not". I would say that he definitely won the dare.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
      So many great Bogey movies, all but 1, I think, in B&W. Casablanca is my favorite movie of all time but beyond that it's hard to pick a favorite. I love "To Have and Have Not". An interesting thing about it is that IIRC it was done on kind of a dare. The director (I forget his name) said that he could make a good movie out of the most mediocre Hemingway book and that became the movie "To Have and Have Not". I would say that he definitely won the dare.
      Casablanca has always been my all time favorite movie. But Maltese and Bid Sleep are right there in the picture.

I am a huge fan of film noir, but I am going to try and limit my choices of those films to get a more rounded lineup.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Casablanca has always been my all time favorite movie. But Maltese and Bid Sleep are right there in the picture.

I am a huge fan of film noir, but I am going to try and limit my choices of those films to get a more rounded lineup.
        Yeah, we could probably do a separate film noir draft after this since color movies would be back in.
        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Fantastic pick with "Rebecca". It was pretty high on my list.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Fantastic pick with "Rebecca". It was pretty high on my list.
            Didn't take long, but I've never seen Rebecca.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Didn't take long, but I've never seen Rebecca.
              I have never watched the entire "Streetcar.." movie. Always want to, but never have.

Comment

I have never watched the entire "Streetcar.." movie. Always want to, but never have.
                Meaning you've watched part of it but didn't finish?
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

On any given day Big Sleep, Casablanca, and Maltese can be my favorite.

Casablanca over rated???? Any particular reason(s)?
                  Casablanca feels like actors acting. The Big Sleep I feel like I am watching life. It may be as simple as I like Bacall better than Bergman. Or maybe it is the chemistry of Boggy and Bacall that I am picking up on.

I never really gave it much thought other than The Big Sleep is easily my favorite.

Comment

Nice pick DMT. I am embarrassed to say I didn't have that on my list and I certainly enjoyed the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Nice pick DMT. I am embarrassed to say I didn't have that on my list and I certainly enjoyed the movie.
                      I thought about waiting since it might not be on many others' radars.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Wow, haven't seen The Day the Earth Stood Still either.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Wow, haven't seen The Day the Earth Stood Still either.
                          Great pick. I think you will really like it. I thought it would make it back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Great pick. I think you will really like it. I thought it would make it back to me.
                            Yep, going on my list.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Meaning you've watched part of it but didn't finish?
                              Have seen it while channel-surfing and have watched bits and pieces. Never made an effort to watch from the beginning. But will someday!

Comment

Gregg with 2 great picks. The original King Kong, while seeming a bit hokey nowadays, is a a monumental film.

Abbott and Costello Meet frankenstein is a rip roaring good time!

Comment

Working...
                                X