X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    The Man who Wasn't There was a hit for me - Barton Fink was just too weird

Miller's crossing is solid

Blood Simple is outstanding film noir in color - it only feels back and white
    I love Fargo. If I compare them I think The Man Who Wasn't There didn't have enough comedy notes (like Fargo) and no likable characters. Interesting yes, likable no. I think I need one or two likables to offset the others.

Comment

• The Big Lebowski is their best IMO. Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing and Fargo are also classics.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        The Big Lebowski is their best IMO. Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing and Fargo are also classics.
        Burn After Reading is/was a sleeper for me. Our family was searching for a movie. We ended up watching (and liking it). Some funny and shocking bits. I didn't know it was Coen Bros until after it was over.

Fargo and Oh Brother Where Art Thou are easily my two favorites that get and will get multiple viewings. Some others a couple of viewings, and some fall into once is enough. Glad I watched it but once is enough.

Comment

The Big Lebowski is their best IMO. Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing and Fargo are also classics.
          Lebowski is by far my favorite from them. But it's also one of my all time favorites.

Joel's famous wife Frances McDormand graduated from my hometown high school. And my Sister-in-law was married to Frances' brother Ken for about 6 months.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Have all of you gentlemen seen Blood Simple - their first movie?

and A Serious Man is sneaky good - if you can empathize with the main character

and I still think that I dreamed this too - I love when John Turturro yells at 1:09 -

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Burn After Reading is/was a sleeper for me. Our family was searching for a movie. We ended up watching (and liking it). Some funny and shocking bits. I didn't know it was Coen Bros until after it was over.

Fargo and Oh Brother Where Art Thou are easily my two favorites that get and will get multiple viewings. Some others a couple of viewings, and some fall into once is enough. Glad I watched it but once is enough.
              I forgot about O Brother, Where Art Thou?, really good movie and the of the greatest soundtracks of all-time.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Burn After Reading was hilarious! It's probably my favorite dark comedy. And O Brother was good too.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Sweet Smell of Success was great, hard to believe it wasn't nominated for a single Oscar.
                  Mrs. Gregg and I will be watching this tonight.

I told her you recommended it, so it is all on you...ha.

Comment

Haha, good strategy, enjoy!
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

I'm the one who picked it!
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        I'm the one who picked it!
                        It was a good pick.

Comment

Haha, good strategy, enjoy!
                          We did enjoy it. Great acting, beautifully filmed.

Comment

We did enjoy it. Great acting, beautifully filmed.
                            Agreed, thanks mith!
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Agreed, thanks mith!
                              Are you sure you watched Sweet Smell of Success and not Secret of My Success? Those are two very different movies.
                              "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                              "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Although Strangers on a Train started out well, by the end, I was laughing out loud at it's shear absurdity. An 88 metascore is truly laughable. I had actually already seen it and gave it a six, but after 2nd viewing I lowered it to a four.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X