CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    We had a neighbor who grew them, and I buy sprouts regularly. Some of the micro greens can be pretty strong - radish for one - so take that into account when you're using them. I didn't like them in fish tacos...
    yeah us as well - not the neighbor, but we buy them regularly, usually as a topping on salads. We are in the process of putting in several raised beds in the garden, hadn't thought about growing these ... thanks for the idea
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post

We did not make the cream corn yet. We will probably make it tomorrow as a side dish for some good looking beef we picked up.
      Made the Boss's cream corn recipe last night. It was very good. Had it with a marinated steak. Great meal.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        yeah us as well - not the neighbor, but we buy them regularly, usually as a topping on salads. We are in the process of putting in several raised beds in the garden, hadn't thought about growing these ... thanks for the idea
        Yeah, we use sprouts in quite a few things and with my latest attempt at fresh spring rolls, the idea came to mind. I think we're going to do it, gonna research the idea and get back to you as soon as I have some results
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So, with summer, active grilling has commenced. I'd always thought the wood planks were some sort of TV ginsu knife equivalent for grilling, but I was finally convinced to try one by a good friend, partially because he was so persistent and partially since the direct heat function on my grill has been misbehaving but indirect still seems to be working well.

Wow. Was I wrong. I've now done a really good flank steak, bone-in chicken breasts and drumsticks, and beef tenderloin using the plank. The tenderloin was perfect. The chicken the best I've done. And the flank steak turned out almost as well - super uniform, just a tad undercooked for my family's preference.

I also came up with a new brine for bone-in/skin-on chicken that worked really well.

Fresh corn-on-the-cob has been great this year, too.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• "the flank steak turned out almost as well - super uniform, just a tad undercooked for my family's preference."

I'm not much of a chef, but isn't there a solution for that?

thanks, I'll hang up and listen to your response.

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              So, with summer, active grilling has commenced. I'd always thought the wood planks were some sort of TV ginsu knife equivalent for grilling, but I was finally convinced to try one by a good friend, partially because he was so persistent and partially since the direct heat function on my grill has been misbehaving but indirect still seems to be working well.

Wow. Was I wrong. I've now done a really good flank steak, bone-in chicken breasts and drumsticks, and beef tenderloin using the plank. The tenderloin was perfect. The chicken the best I've done. And the flank steak turned out almost as well - super uniform, just a tad undercooked for my family's preference.

I also came up with a new brine for bone-in/skin-on chicken that worked really well.

Fresh corn-on-the-cob has been great this year, too.
              Corn on the cob has been almost non-existent here. I finally found some at the Jewel Osco. It was 79 cents an ear. They were small ears too. But I will say they were delicious. Had them with baked potato and ribs (I cheated and bought cooked ones).

But on the 4th we had some great bone in Rib Eyes grilled to perfection. Mrs. Gregg's famous mashed potatoes, Grilled Portobello mushrooms and sauteed onions. Really good stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                "the flank steak turned out almost as well - super uniform, just a tad undercooked for my family's preference."

I'm not much of a chef, but isn't there a solution for that?

thanks, I'll hang up and listen to your response.

There is - trick is to get the solution right without overcompensating the other way. In our case, medium rare is an "8", medium is a "10" and medium-well craters to a "4". So, we'll typically settle for a bit underdone instead of risking overdone. And it is entirely possible that I just might have been into my third glass of a yummy Beringer Cab that would potentially have dulled my reaction rate on the grill. Maybe. Well....probably.

Comment

• don't drink and cook?
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    don't drink and cook?
                    What? Wrong forum. Heresy belongs in the Hot Topics forum.

Comment

• Long time no Post. So, I have been revisiting, perfecting a few of these recipes The Pulled pork, baked beans, cole slaw (thank for that guys) has turned out great every time and I added my old potato salad recipe I got from an exs mother years back--It's EXcellent LOL I know, I know. Corn on the cob, grilled, in foil with Butter and Garlic, butter salt. Lot's of corn here. Just trying out different rubs and sauces now. believe it or not I made my first Meat Loaf the other day--very tasty and grilled/sautéed some Brussel sprouts, but did them a different way adding the balsamic after I took them off the heat. Much better IMO as it retains the sweetness that come out bitter when I added it while still grilling them. Used two different meatloaf recipes, one for the loaf and the other for the glaze. Again, It was great. Perfected my Poke recipe, tried it with rice, avocado and edamame, twas delish. As it gets hotter here, I'm reticent to use the stove as our place has no AC. Lots of windows, ceiling fans and a block from the ocean in 75-85 can still feel hot if you use the stove--(Humble Brag) and My Grill is still a2 months away so the real fun has yet to commence. So other than that, not much cookin out here--I know, I know. Hope all is well with you guys.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Long time no Post. So, I have been revisiting, perfecting a few of these recipes The Pulled pork, baked beans, cole slaw (thank for that guys) has turned out great every time and I added my old potato salad recipe I got from an exs mother years back--It's EXcellent LOL I know, I know. Corn on the cob, grilled, in foil with Butter and Garlic, butter salt. Lot's of corn here. Just trying out different rubs and sauces now. believe it or not I made my first Meat Loaf the other day--very tasty and grilled/sautéed some Brussel sprouts, but did them a different way adding the balsamic after I took them off the heat. Much better IMO as it retains the sweetness that come out bitter when I added it while still grilling them. Used two different meatloaf recipes, one for the loaf and the other for the glaze. Again, It was great. Perfected my Poke recipe, tried it with rice, avocado and edamame, twas delish. As it gets hotter here, I'm reticent to use the stove as our place has no AC. Lots of windows, ceiling fans and a block from the ocean in 75-85 can still feel hot if you use the stove--(Humble Brag) and My Grill is still a2 months away so the real fun has yet to commence. So other than that, not much cookin out here--I know, I know. Hope all is well with you guys.
                        cool cool cool. Been bbq-ing here a fair bit too, we've had a good run of hot weather so don't want to use the oven. Nothing extravagant, sirloin steak yesterday, burgers on the weekend, ... did 5 lbs of wings smoked on the bbq which turned out awesome (tossed them in different sauces at the end - a bourbon-bbq, franks, and a piri-piri)
                        try rosemary on the grilled corn, it's soooooo good.
                        We have a solid herb garden for the first time, it's awesome just going to the back to cut some oregano or sage. Did a simple thai dish last week but used fresh mint, cillantro, and basil all from the yard. And we've been eating salads a lot - planted too much lettuce, we're giving it away now.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• My wife made perfect Greek Lamb Chops with a medley of roasted potatoes, squash, and carrots. It was so good!

Thank you Honey!

My job was to pick the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            My wife made perfect Greek Lamb Chops with a medley of roasted potatoes, squash, and carrots. It was so good!

Thank you Honey!

My job was to pick the movie.
                            And.......
                            “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                              And.......
                              That's not a very good movie

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                                And.......
                                To find a movie that can potentially check our boxes is tougher than it seem. Mostly because we watch a lot of movies. We like to be entertained so moral or political movies are usually not on the list. My wife is out on war movies. So there are limitations.

I picked 21 Bridges. We like cop shows (Blood Bloods, Bosch, Shield, Justified, etc.). It only got OK reviews but we enjoyed it for what it was. If you like Cop movies I think you would like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X