Whale Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whale Wars

So I had the day off yesterday and spent more time then I would like to admit watching a Whale Wars marathon on Animal Planet.

Now, I'm not a big green, environment, PETA guy. I know shocker, but I also don't think it is good to be killing animals that are endangered, especially for profit.

As I watched the show, I was sure who was completely in the wrong. I realize the Japanese fleet of whalers isn't really doing research as they state, or they are doing minimal research so they can continue to profit from the sale of the harvested meat. I'm not sure the tactics of the warriors are the most ethical, either.

Anyone watch this show and could shed some light on this.

I do have to admit, I appreciated the passion of the warriors.

I doubt I'll be watching this as the new season starts, but I would possibly catch it on re-runs.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

I haven't seen it, but will at some point ... however I wanted to comment on this ...

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    Now, I'm not a big green, environment, PETA guy. I know shocker, but I also don't think it is good to be killing animals that are endangered, especially for profit.
    It's a shame that it's come to this; an issue like this one shouldn't require declaring where one sits on the political spectrum - it's just common sense. Yet we're at a point where anyone who speaks out about something like this is labelled. This is simply about protecting an endangered species ... it's worth noting that the Endangered Species Act in the US was called for & then passed into law by Richard Nixon in 1973.

end of rant ... for now ...
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      It's a shame that it's come to this; an issue like this one shouldn't require declaring where one sits on the political spectrum - it's just common sense. Yet we're at a point where anyone who speaks out about something like this is labelled. This is simply about protecting an endangered species ... it's worth noting that the Endangered Species Act in the US was called for & then passed into law by Richard Nixon in 1973.

end of rant ... for now ...
      I totally agree we shouldn't have to pigeon-hole people or start with a caveat about where we are coming from, but most people use it to frame a debate.

I hopped in the middle of an episode and didn't understand the dynamics that whales that are harvested for research purposes are allowed to be sold to market for profit. There isn't much set up, or at least I didn't see an episode that talks about whether the Japanese fleet is, in fact, doing research on the animals.

Now, some of the footage certainly makes it look like there is little, if any, research being done. The interesting thing to me was the ethical dilemma. If in fact, these boats are conducting research, IMO, the warriors are in the wrong. If the researchers are really only harvesting whales for profit, they're in the wrong. I'm afraid everything I would find in doing research on the issue would be so filled with propaganda, I wouldn't know where to start.

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

They aren't doing any research - just killing whales and selling the meat.

Watch more of them - they kept being interesting (and fun because "the warriors" seemed to be such screwups for the whole season.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

Watch more of them - they kept being interesting (and fun because "the warriors" seemed to be such screwups for the whole season.
          From what I watched they certainly seemed to be the ones who brought the knife to a gun fight.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
            While the Japanese are certainly circumventing the commercial whaling ban, this statement is not correct. They're actually publishing extensive research on oceanography, whale migration, and limnology.

That doesn't mean I think the Japanese are correct in this case, but they're not stupid, either.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Warriors? lol

Comment

Working...
              X