The RJ 1000: The top 1000 rock classics of all time Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    After notating the dates on my picks, it's now pretty clear IMO that 1971 is greatest year of rock history. I'd always had a tough time deciding between that or 1969.
    I was looking too and 1992-93 looks like a contender.

Comment

After notating the dates on my picks, it's now pretty clear IMO that 1971 is greatest year of rock history. I'd always had a tough time deciding between that or 1969.
      There's a book by David Hepworth ("Never a Dull Moment") that makes that exact point, that 1971 was the greatest year for music ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        There's a book by David Hepworth ("Never a Dull Moment") that makes that exact point, that 1971 was the greatest year for music ever.
        And it's sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Steve, you decimated my Van Halen list.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• We just past the first 25% of the list. Great job gents.

Comment

Steve, you decimated my Van Halen list.
              If you would have been picking some of your Van Halen list I could have picked Suite Judy...just sayin'

Comment

Steve, you decimated my Van Halen list.
                Van Halen rocks!
                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Chance snags another one from my list.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Chance snags another one from my list.
                    Only because Gregg went Stealin' my pick. But not only do I like the song, the extended version of Slow Ride gave me time to hit the bathroom in my radio days.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Only because Gregg went Stealin' my pick. But not only do I like the song, the extended version of Slow Ride gave me time to hit the bathroom in my radio days.
                      I didn't realize you were a former DJ, cool! I too DJ'd in college and have filled in a few times at my local community radio station KXCI. Only WWOZ in NOLA and KEXP in Seattle are in the same tier that I've listened to. So if any of you like to stream, kxci.org will not disappoint.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• College DJ here.
                        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Love "Don't let him go".
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I didn't realize you were a former DJ, cool! I too DJ'd in college and have filled in a few times at my local community radio station KXCI. Only WWOZ in NOLA and KEXP in Seattle are in the same tier that I've listened to. So if any of you like to stream, kxci.org will not disappoint.
                            Three years in college at a little AOR station...a looong time ago. We played a lot of music that won't come close to our top 1000, but it gave me a chance to listen to a ton of LPs that I had no hope of affording back then. Did sports coverage, too, which ended up being really rewarding - our coach was Dick Bennett, and I got to watch Terry Porter grow as a player right in front of me. For a little D3 school, that was pretty amazing.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Helter Skelter was the other Beatles song I was contemplating when I choose A Day In The Life.

That song is a perfect example of why The Beatles made so much great music in such a short space of time ... insane levels of competitiveness within the band and between other bands. Also the reason why nothing they did afterwards came close (except perhaps George Harrison).

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                Love "Don't let him go".
                                That's one of those songs you don't realize is that rockin' until you listen a few times.

Comment

Working...
                                X