Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Major Sports City in America

Whaddya think?

Atlanta-- Nobody shows up for baseball playoff games and they just lost their second hockey team... first to Calgary, then to Winnipeg. Most interesting football moment was Ray Lewis getting accused of murder.

LA-- No support for the NFL, Dodgers fans show up in the 4th and leave in the 6th (yes, I know it's a stereotype ), and the, uhm, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim...

Philly-- The infamous jail cell and the fans who warrant its presence?

Seattle-- No World Series wins, no Super Bowl wins, and they lost their basketball team to Oklahoma City!

Cleveland-- 60+ years since the Indians won it all, Art Model walked away and Lebron thought that was a great idea,too; the "new" Browns are a lot like "new" Coke, and the NHL chose Columbus as the best Ohio locale for a team. Ouch.
    Atlanta-- Winnipeg's Bitch
    0%
    LA-- Where did I leave that NFL franchise...?
    0%
    Philly-- Good teams, bad fans
    0%
    Seattle-- Oklahoma City's Bitch, home of the SadHawks
    0%
    Cleveland-- Art Model AND Lebron James can't be wrong, can they?
    0%
    Write-In
    0%
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Originally posted by Bob Kohm
    Philly-- The infamous jail cell and the fans who warrant its presence?
    No different from any other blue-collar city in the Northeast or Midwest. If you put Philly in the poll, you have to put Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, etc. in there too.

Seattle leads in futility, but Atlanta gets my vote for their total apathy about any sport that isn't NASCAR or SEC football.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

This poll is seriously flawed if it doesn't have Miami and its fans that only show up if a championship can be won that very night, as a choice.

And Philly doesn't belong anywhere near this question as much as I hate to admit it

Comment

Do no major sports cities count ...

San Hose, Austin, Columbus, Forth Worth, El Paso ... all have populations of 600K+

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Do no major sports cities count ...

San Hose, Austin, Columbus, Forth Worth, El Paso ... all have populations of 600K+
          San Jose has a hockey team as does Columbus

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
            San Jose has a hockey team as does Columbus
            Oh yeah ... I forgot hockey is a major sport

Comment

This poll is seriously flawed if it doesn't have Miami and its fans that only show up if a championship can be won that very night, as a choice.

And Philly doesn't belong anywhere near this question as much as I hate to admit it
              Neither does Cleveland. Their fans may redefine 'long suffering', but by no means do they not support their teams.

Comment

Worst situation? Maybe 6 months ago it was CLE but they won the NBA lottery (albeit in a crappy year) and the Tribe is suddenly relevant again.

Most apathetic fans? Gotta be ATL. It's a shame because both their NBA and NFL teams are sorta good but not terribly interesting, and their baseball team is pretty good too. But I'm not sure they've noticed any of it. I'd even put them ahead of LA, though I might be able to be swayed

Comment

San Diego -- gawd knows how many total sports seasons (100?), but no titles at all

Buffalo -- 4 Super Bowl losses, other teams long have abandoned them. But James Starks gives U of B hope!

Cincy -- the Bengals. The Reds haven't been competitive in 35 years. No hockey or basketball. And Jim Tressel is a bozo.

Jacksonville -- one major sports team, and they abandon it?

Las Vegas -- such a huge city, and it can't support a single pro team? Well, besides UNLV??

Comment

Good point on Miami, but Philly totally belongs here, given the caliber of their fans-- ask Michael Irvin.
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Neither does Cleveland. Their fans may redefine 'long suffering', but by no means do they not support their teams.
                      Cleveland makes it for utter futility.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                        Good point on Miami, but Philly totally belongs here, given the caliber of their fans-- ask Michael Irvin.
                        Yawn.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          No different from any other blue-collar city in the Northeast or Midwest. If you put Philly in the poll, you have to put Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, etc. in there too.
                          Uhm... no. I've been to games in Baltimore (a lot of games in Baltimore...), Pittsburgh and Boston. Philly fans are a totally different animal, and I use that word intentionally It's hard to make Raider fans look good, but you guys do it!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Las Vegas -- such a huge city, and it can't support a single pro team? Well, besides UNLV??
                            I often wonder how Vegas would do with an NFL or NBA franchise. The economy sucks for them now, but if they had a football or basketball team in the boom during the '90s and early part of the 2000s, I bet it would've done quite well.

Comment

Atlanta, for apathy.
                              And I have been to plenty of sporting events there...
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X