World Health Organization announcement re: cell phone cancer risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Health Organization announcement re: cell phone cancer risk

Have y'all seen/read enough to change your cell phone habits? More often than not, I'm pretty dismissive about day-to-day public health warnings, fueled into conflagrations of fear by an eager media. But it seems like the quantity and quality of the medical concerns being raised about cell phones has been rising, and it's scary to think how much time many of us and our loved ones are spending with these phones attached to us, whether in active use or even just receiving signals while in our pockets.

Radiation from cell phones can possibly cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization. The agency now lists mobile phone use in the same "carcinogenic hazard" category as lead, engine exhaust and chloroform.

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    The global conspiracy to kill off teenage girls is finally coming into being.
    The War On Women rages on... :beavis:
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      Have y'all seen/read enough to change your cell phone habits? More often than not, I'm pretty dismissive about day-to-day public health warnings, fueled into conflagrations of fear by an eager media. But it seems like the quantity and quality of the medical concerns being raised about cell phones has been rising, and it's scary to think how much time many of us and our loved ones are spending with these phones attached to us, whether in active use or even just receiving signals while in our pockets.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/31...nes/index.html
      I've been keeping an eye on this for a while ... having said that I've tried to change my habits (i.e. not keeping them on me except when absolutley necessary) ... but they're tough to break.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        I've been keeping an eye on this for a while ... having said that I've tried to change my habits (i.e. not keeping them on me except when absolutley necessary) ... but they're tough to break.
        women at least can put it in their purse but we have it in our pockets usually.

I've tried to use my land line more often when possible.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

It's funny that most people that you hear complain about the "potential" dangers of cell phone radiation are fat and eat crappy food and never go to a gym to keep themselves in shape. There are tons of people that die every day from being overweight or out of shape yet people get caught up in a report that says people may possibly, at some point, face some potential problem from overuse of cell phones. Meanwhile there there is a mcdonalds, burger king, wendy's and taco bell within 2 miles of everyones house/work.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
            It's funny that most people that you hear complain about the "potential" dangers of cell phone radiation are fat and eat crappy food and never go to a gym to keep themselves in shape. There are tons of people that die every day from being overweight or out of shape yet people get caught up in a report that says people may possibly, at some point, face some potential problem from overuse of cell phones. Meanwhile there there is a mcdonalds, burger king, wendy's and taco bell within 2 miles of everyones house/work.
            when the source of the latest warning is the World Health Organization, I'd suggest that this has a bit more traction than just a bunch of fatties whining.

Actually I find most people complaining about potential dangers of cell phone usage tend to be wearing Birkenstocks.

bottom line - the burden of proof is screwed up. The onus is on the scientific community to prove that it's dangerous, rather than on the industry to prove that they're safe.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
              we all know about the health dangers of food like that so its really not newsworthy any more to point it out.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                women at least can put it in their purse but we have it in our pockets usually.
                right by the prostate and gonads. boy, those are two places guys never get cancer. :nervous:
                ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

An old-timey cell phone like I have doesn't radiate when it's in my pocket and not transmitting for a call. I don't know about these new-fangled "smart" phones that are constantly checking Facebook and what not whenever they damn well please.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I think I have an idea for a new Funky Winkerbean story line...
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      An old-timey cell phone like I have doesn't radiate when it's in my pocket and not transmitting for a call. I don't know about these new-fangled "smart" phones that are constantly checking Facebook and what not whenever they damn well please.

/old man mode on/

Back in my day, we didn't have no Nintendo! We just stared at the sun until our eyes bled. And we LIKED IT!!!

/old man mode off/

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                        /old man mode on/

Back in my day, we didn't have no Nintendo! We just drank tequila until our eyes bled. And we LIKED IT!!!

/old man mode off/
                        Fixed.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

maybe I shouldn't get rid of my POS cellphone, that turns itself off at random, afterall...

Comment

A link with the rankings of available phones from best to worst...
                            V
                            V
                            EWG's 2012 guide to cell phone radiation summarizes the new research and the lack of protective government standards for phone radiation. Recommendations to consumers including taking steps to reduce their exposures to cell phone radiation by holding phones away from their bodies, using earpieces and following the other simple tips in our guide.

From CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/...els/index.html)

A quick explanation of the numbers: They refer to the "specific absorption rate" or SAR, a common benchmark that measures the rate of radiofrequency energy your body gets from the phone. The lower the number, the lower the radiation exposure. For a phone to be certified by the FCC and sold in the U.S., for example, its maximum SAR level must be less than 1.6 watts per kilogram.

But keep in mind that these are only ballpark figures. Your actual exposure will depend on how you use your phone, your carrier and network-specific conditions. For example, when your connection is weak, your cell phone needs to send out more radiation to reach the cellular tower.

And there's still no conclusive evidence that a phone with a higher SAR level poses a greater health risk -- or any health risk at all -- than a model that emits less radiation.
                            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                            X