Softball!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
    Having never played OF at any level, I was pleasantly surprised.
    Interesting, that's the skill that diminished the most for me the last time I played. The ability to judge a line drive off the bat and track while "running". My eyes are fine (supposedly) but I found myself misjudging where most balls would land.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Interesting, that's the skill that diminished the most for me the last time I played. The ability to judge a line drive off the bat and track while "running". My eyes are fine (supposedly) but I found myself misjudging where most balls would land.
      It was so hard. I was always an infielder playing baseball growing up so I was already at a disadvantage with judging flies/liners.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        All at the same time?
        If they would have let us play with the amount of people that we had willing to participate, I probably would have had to do so.

Comment

funny that I posted in this thread in 2011 about having retired - then got dumb enough to play in an annual Central Park softball game 3 times in the last 5 years (rained out this year and just off a hernia operation in the other).

I can't throw, like at all. as in, soft toss from the catcher's spot to the pitcher's mound is a stretch. yikes. fielding also dismal.

but hitting?

5 years ago, I "come out of retirement" for this game after taking 20 years off. I immediately could tell the fielding and throwing was doomed - but picking up a bat, well, it was like a scene of out the "Cocoon" movie. felt like I was 12 again, mashing line drives in a brief batting practice.

I bat left-handed, and the first pitch I see in the game, I pull a rope toward RF. I fly out of the batter's box like it's 1973, wicked quick first step - and then....... I had no chance with the second step. they call that "writing a check that your body can't cash." fortunately it was nothing but a skinned knee and a mildly-bruised ego.

2 years ago, a guy my age shows up with no intention of playing - was there for "the 10th inning" at a nearby saloon. we're a little shorthanded, so we coax him out there. before his first AB, I tell him all the details of my ill-fated effort a few years earlier. he nods, enters the box, hits the ball - and does the same wipeout I did, in spite of the warning.

it really is funnier when it's someone else!

this is the BBTF annual game. In 2017, I played in the OF alongside baseball-reference.com creator Sean Forman, the professor at Temple University (game day was a mashup with the SABR convention). before my time, but ex-MLB P Bob Tufts used to (s l o w) pitch in these games each year before he ran into some health problems.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            funny that I posted in this thread in 2011 about having retired - then got dumb enough to play in an annual Central Park softball game 3 times in the last 5 years (rained out this year and just off a hernia operation in the other).

I can't throw, like at all. as in, soft toss from the catcher's spot to the pitcher's mound is a stretch. yikes. fielding also dismal.

but hitting?

5 years ago, I "come out of retirement" for this game after taking 20 years off. I immediately could tell the fielding and throwing was doomed - but picking up a bat, well, it was like a scene of out the "Cocoon" movie. felt like I was 12 again, mashing line drives in a brief batting practice.

I bat left-handed, and the first pitch I see in the game, I pull a rope toward RF. I fly out of the batter's box like it's 1973, wicked quick first step - and then....... I had no chance with the second step. they call that "writing a check that your body can't cash." fortunately it was nothing but a skinned knee and a mildly-bruised ego.

2 years ago, a guy my age shows up with no intention of playing - was there for "the 10th inning" at a nearby saloon. we're a little shorthanded, so we coax him out there. before his first AB, I tell him all the details of my ill-fated effort a few years earlier. he nods, enters the box, hits the ball - and does the same wipeout I did, in spite of the warning.

it really is funnier when it's someone else!

this is the BBTF annual game. In 2017, I played in the OF alongside baseball-reference.com creator Sean Forman, the professor at Temple University (game day was a mashup with the SABR convention). before my time, but ex-MLB P Bob Tufts used to (s l o w) pitch in these games each year before he ran into some health problems.
            I always picture you as a phenomenal athlete in tip top shape.
            “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

"I always picture you as a phenomenal athlete in tip top shape."

heh, I played all sports as a kid, but my only varsity athletic letter in HS was for golf which..... did not prove to be catnip to the ladies, I can confirm. whippet-thin into my 20s, and could outrun a tennis ball on a clay court a la Michael Chang.

did an intense 7-mile hike of the Palisades along the Hudson River last year, which was ..... way over my head.

still mulling hiring a personal trainer for a couple of sessions. two nice, free gyms in my condo complex, and since I work from home I could go during the day when they might well be devoid of people. got some rust to peel off, though.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

As I got older I did the position moves due to age - starting in left center, moving to left, moving to right, moving to 1b. About 4 years ago a guy hit a line drive about 4 inches from my head and I couldn't get to it. Decided it was time to retire until my other friends hit 50 so we could get into the old guys league. Being 40 or 45 playing against guys half my age was ok-I wasn't really good but was good enough to play. Being 50 and playing against guys 25-30 years younger was the end of the line.

Comment

Working...
                X