"Not So Exceelent" Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Not So Exceelent" Movie Thread

just saw Hereafter, and wow.....what a snoozefest. I was stunned to see Clint Eastwood as director when it [finally] finished. Probably the worst Matt Damon film I've seen since Dogma. 2 hours, 9 minutes, easily could've shaved 45-60 minutes off that number; some plotlines went absolutely nowhere. The payoff was so predictable, as was most of the other "twists" throughout. Frankly, I didn't really see much of a plot at all. I'd give it 1 1/2 stars out of 5. Definite pass.

Saw The Tourist two weeks ago. There's nothing I dislike more in movies as when directors take cinematic liberties with the plot. It's OK when, on a small scale, the crowd joins in onscreen; it's another when the main characters continue to act in "character" when there's no one else around (besides the audience). It's just that way in this flick, which is predictable from the 1st slowish 30 minutes, but the director tries to outsmart you with chicaneries. Very frustrating when you get to the final result.

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Saw The Tourist two weeks ago. There's nothing I dislike more in movies as when directors take cinematic liberties with the plot. It's OK when, on a small scale, the crowd joins in onscreen; it's another when the main characters continue to act in "character" when there's no one else around (besides the audience). It's just that way in this flick, which is predictable from the 1st slowish 30 minutes, but the director tries to outsmart you with chicaneries. Very frustrating when you get to the final result.
    this movie would have been so much better if the twist had never happened. So much so, that I choose to pretend it didn't and I sort of liked it.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      this movie would have been so much better if the twist had never happened. So much so, that I choose to pretend it didn't and I sort of liked it.
      can you explain why they were acting in "character" in private? Although I had figured it out, my wife and I constantly said "nah, they'd never do this when there's no one around." Of course, I didn't realize the director was playing me.

Comment

can you explain why they were acting in "character" in private? Although I had figured it out, my wife and I constantly said "nah, they'd never do this when there's no one around." Of course, I didn't realize the director was playing me.
        whited out.

well, I don't think she knew, and I think he was testing her. Still, it's a much better story if he's not the guy and grows to find himself in the movie. It sucks that he's just playing her/them/and us all along. I liked the movie right up to the "reveal". Mostly because it was so obvious and screwed up any character development to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          whited out.

well, I don't think she knew, and I think he was testing her. Still, it's a much better story if he's not the guy and grows to find himself in the movie. It sucks that he's just playing her/them/and us all along. I liked the movie right up to the "reveal". Mostly because it was so obvious and screwed up any character development to the story.

OK, whited out for you:

If she didn't know, then the coincidence of picking him on the train was pretty condescending to the audience! Heck, what if she picked someone else? Then what?

Comment

The wife and I got this via Neftlix last week. I left the room after the first 45 minutes or so. Awful.

Comment

OK, whited out for you:

If she didn't know, then the coincidence of picking him on the train was pretty condescending to the audience! Heck, what if she picked someone else? Then what?
              true... like I said, it all works much better without the twist.

Comment

Working...
              X