Clear All

Originally posted by Erik View Post
    So far by decade:

'60s: 15
    '70s: 4
    '80s: 0
    '90s: 0
    '00s: 0
    I'll change that, just for the hell of it.

3.06 - Most Of The Time
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

The Lucky family are have a heated discussion about picks 4 & 5 as we speak!

Comment

i have at most a passing interest in this thread, but I'm really happy it is going on. We've needed a random draft here for a while.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          i have at most a passing interest in this thread, but I'm really happy it is going on. We've needed a random draft here for a while.
          umm...this is not a random draft. This is a Songs by Bob Dylan draft. It is very serious with huge implications. Why it just might be one of the most important drafts we have ever had.

Comment

Sorry, just got out of a meeting full of politicians.

I'll have a stiff drink, and then start wrestling the missus over those next two picks.

Comment

The opening track from Blonde on Blonde...

3.07 Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

Last edited by ; 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Another of Alice's favorites...

4.01 Shelter from the Storm

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Another of Alice's favorites...

4.01 Shelter from the Storm
                  Rats! That was my next pick.

Comment

I told Alice it wouldn't last.

Comment

Participating in the draft has caused me to pull out old albums, lyric sheets, articles, (bootlegs), etc., as I'm sure it has many of you. One of the things that still hit me is the amount of absolute s**t Dylan took when he went electric. (That's why I picked Subterranean Homesick Blues, the first track on the first electric album.) I listened to the Manchester Free Trade Hall concert from 1966 (Dylan would play the first set acoustic solo, then bring out the band for the second set), and it is amazing how hostile the crowd was.

This is the one with the famous exchange right before Like a Rolling Stone: Fan: "Judas!" Dylan: "I don't believe you...you're a liar!", an then to the band "Play f***ing loud!"

Comment

first song I DON'T love to be chosen so far....

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          Rats! That was my next pick.
                          Probably sheep's, too, given his love for Blood on the Tracks.

My next two are still out there, but "Positively 4th Street" was #3 on my list, so I need to come up with a backup plan for my backup plan.
                          Last edited by Erik; 06-01-2011, 07:28 PM.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

The AV Club included it on a list of "bad songs that derail great albums." Needless to say that selection caused quite a bit of controversy. It's a novelty song, but Dylan by that point had more than earned the right to release one.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

Dylan fans really split here. It was a big success commercially, which is strange since it was banned from many radio stations due to the "stoned" lyrics. Commercial success isn't really a good metric for judging Dylan tunes, since many of his best and most loved were never released as singles, but along with "Like a Rolling Stone", it went to #2 in the U.S.

It's an unusual song, a blues progression with a brass band. Listening now, it surprises me that mainstream America liked it enough to make it a hit.

It's quirky. People forget that Dylan's performance style, especially early on, was quirky, with Dylan telling stories, laughing, joking, etc. There are recordings out there of his shows in '63, and he exuded personality and humor.

You really loved Most of the Time?

Comment

ok, didn't notice "Most of the Time."
                                it's good, but I don't love it.

I like the Basement Tapes stuff more for off-the-grid experimentation. I can't explain those songs, either, but I enjoy them.
                                I don't mind the "let's get stoned" part as much as the annoying pounding beat that never goes anywhere...
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X