Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exceelent.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Not sure if this was on anyone's radar, but it's a great song and would have made Blood on the Tracks an even better album. Anyone know why it was left off?

14.04 - Up to Me

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I did my undergrad dissertation on 'Augustine and the Problem if Evil' ... so this has always been one of my favourites:

14.05 I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          I did my undergrad dissertation on 'Augustine and the Problem if Evil' ... so this has always been one of my favourites:

14.05 I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine
          In what field of study was your degree?

Comment

• 14.06 - She Belongs To Me

She's got everything she needs
            She's an artist
            She don't look back
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              In what field of study was your degree?
              Philosophy ... good times.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                Philosophy ... good times.
                Wow. I thought you might say that, having written about St. Augustine. You're the only other person I know about in the BullPen who earned a degree in Philosophy. A kindred spirit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Wow. I thought you might say that, having written about St. Augustine. You're the only other person I know about in the BullPen who earned a degree in Philosophy. A kindred spirit.
                  Three of them ... and a lot of wasted time doing a PhD which I probably won't have the time (or the desire) to finish in this lifetime ... you could say I enjoyed being a student (well apart from the last couple of years)

What kind of philosophy did you do?
                  Last edited by johnnya24; 06-10-2011, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• Gregg might have a Grammy-winning song, but I've now got an Oscar-winning one.

14.07 Things Have Changed

I'll follow it with a song that's better known for its many cover versions (Manfred Mann, Grateful Dead, Phish, etc.) than Dylan's own version, which surfaced a few years after he wrote it -- on Self-Portrait, of all albums.

15.01 Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)

Comment

• Quinn was on my list, but far enough down that I didn't expect to roster it.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I'll be around for a little bit ... I'll PM DMT if I turn in.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Quinn was on my list, but far enough down that I didn't expect to roster it.
                          I took those two now because I thought there was less of a chance they would make it back to me than some of the others I'm targeting.

Comment

• I like "Up to Me," oh yeah.
                            I think it first turned up on Biograph?

Lots of mystical, almost Brownsville Girl-ian lyrics.

And this, which could be his epitaph:

"If I'd thought about it I never would've done it, I guess I would've let it slide,
                            If I'd paid attention to what others were thinkin', the heart inside me would've died.
                            I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity,
                            Someone had to reach for the risin' star,
                            I guess it was up to me."

Or is it this?
                            "And if we never meet again, baby, remember me
                            How my lone guitar played sweet for you that old-time melody
                            And the harmonica around my neck, I blew it for you, free
                            No one else could play that tune, you knew it was up to me"

Plus fun lines like:
                            Oh, the Union Central is pullin' out, the orchids are in bloom,
                            I've only got me one good shirt left and it smells of stale perfume.
                            In fourteen months I've only smiled once and I didn't do it consciously,
                            Somebody's got to find your trail,
                            I guess it's gonna be up to me.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              I like "Up to Me," oh yeah.
                              I think it first turned up on Biograph?

Lots of mystical, almost Brownsville Girl-ian lyrics.

And this, which could be his epitaph:

"If I'd thought about it I never would've done it, I guess I would've let it slide,
                              If I'd paid attention to what others were thinkin', the heart inside me would've died.
                              I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity,
                              Someone had to reach for the risin' star,
                              I guess it was up to me."

Or is it this?
                              "And if we never meet again, baby, remember me
                              How my lone guitar played sweet for you that old-time melody
                              And the harmonica around my neck, I blew it for you, free
                              No one else could play that tune, you knew it was up to me"

Plus fun lines like:
                              Oh, the Union Central is pullin' out, the orchids are in bloom,
                              I've only got me one good shirt left and it smells of stale perfume.
                              In fourteen months I've only smiled once and I didn't do it consciously,
                              Somebody's got to find your trail,
                              I guess it's gonna be up to me.
                              Glad someone else recognizes its greatness I've only heard it on Biograph. But it fits so well into Blood on the Tracks but I haven't seen any explanations for why it was left off.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• 14.03- Oh Sister

Oh sister when I come to lie in your arms
                                You should not treat me like a stranger
                                Our Father would not like the way that you act
                                And you must realize the danger.

Oh sister am I not a brother to you
                                And one deserving of affection ?
                                And is our purpose not the same on this earth
                                To love and follow His direction ?

We grew up together
                                From the cradle to the grave