Is our game growing or in decline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    so if your brother or sister are having their daughters sweet 16 on that day and it was scheduled only 3 months in advance where your draft date was set 6 months ago, you blow it off? Some commitments come up after draft dates are set.
    I would attend after the draft. My sister and niece would understand. I have a life also. why should I miss a day that basically allows me to enjoy the next six months, for a party? My niece knows i love her and missing her party wouldn't cause her undue strife. In this example i think she would be more looking forward to her friends attending, than her uncle
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      I never quite understand when someone can't make the live draft. it's one day a year. Barring unforeseen emergencies, get your a$$ to the draft. My league on the last Sunday in March. I know it so i clear that day. end of story.
      Have to say I don't get it either. For most of us, this is our one thing. We move our schedule around constantly for everyone else, and this is the one time we ask everyone to back off.

Now, emergencies are another situation. But we schedule almost two months in advance, so get organized!
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I would attend after the draft. My sister and niece would understand. I have a life also. why should I miss a day that basically allows me to enjoy the next six months, for a party? My niece knows i love her and missing her party wouldn't cause her undue strife. In this example i think she would be more looking forward to her friends attending, than her uncle
        because there are things (to me) that are more important in life.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

because there are things (to me) that are more important in life.
          If a sweet 16 party is more important than fantasy baseball, then quit the league .

Sometimes it's ok to allow yourself to enjoy something without feeling the guilt of the world. If you really would rather be at a family event, then go. If you would rather be at the draft, but feel that you "have" to attend the event, then go to the draft.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

If a sweet 16 party is more important than fantasy baseball, then quit the league .

Sometimes it's ok to allow yourself to enjoy something without feeling the guilt of the world. If you really would rather be at a family event, then go. If you would rather be at the draft, but feel that you "have" to attend the event, then go to the draft.
            Oh I have no reservations or guilt about what I would do in that situation. I would find a stand in to draft for me or if I had to quit the league, I would. There are other leagues to join and if I thought me not being at a certain family event would cause problems with my loved ones, I would go to the event.
            I have no problem with what anyone else decides. As a commisioner, I also understand the sensitivty of setting a date and sticking to it. At the end of the day though, its more important to me what my loved ones think.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

my daughter's birthday is April 1st so I'm always having to jockey around on draft dates, but you know what, I do it, and if I couldn't, I'd get a proxy to draft for me that one year.....
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Funerals, birth of your child or grand child, maybe a wedding depending on who is getting married. If you are that close to me that I am in the party maybe you move it out a week or pull it in a week when planning a year ahead (as most weddings are).

We make a commitment for 1 day a year to 10 or more friends. It is important to keep the commitment.

That is just how I look at it. Others have just as right to their opinions as I do. Still it is frustrating when something other than the above is in the way.

I also get a little steamed when players are looking at their watches and packing up in the middle of the reserve round. Come on fellas it is one day a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  I also get a little steamed when players are looking at their watches and packing up in the middle of the reserve round. Come on fellas it is one day a year.
                  this bothers me to an extent but its more bothersome to call out Pujols $20 and have to wait 5 minutes for the one guy to sat $21 as he checks Pujols numbers, DOB, horoscope, etc. Then it gets back to him at $30 and he does it again.

Comment

this bothers me to an extent but its more bothersome to call out Pujols $20 and have to wait 5 minutes for the one guy to sat $21 as he checks Pujols numbers, DOB, horoscope, etc. Then it gets back to him at $30 and he does it again.
                    You just need an open call-out auction where the auctioneer starts the "going once..." count after any pause in the bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      You just need an open call-out auction where the auctioneer starts the "going once..." count after any pause in the bidding.
                      Yep this works great!

By the way...you couldn't...um... do the math...you know count backwards 9 months from auction day...and uh..maybe use a little protection for a month?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        I would love to but my league-mates dont and then we would also need to go through the process of securing an auctioneer.

Comment

I would love to but my league-mates dont and then we would also need to go through the process of securing an auctioneer.
                          my league was the same way...they were hesitant to go to an all out auction but once we did they all love it. And we don't get an auctioneer, we all take turns doing a few of the rounds.

Comment

Old school Roto is in decline but not Fantasy in my opinion. Football's H2H craze is gaining a foothold with Baseball (points and roto style).

What is more troublesome to me is what some of you guys have pointed out is the turn away from in person leagues in favor of online leagues.

To me the best day of my sports year is auction day!!!
                            Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Now that Trader Mac has retired, fantasy baseball is definitely in decline!!!!

I agree that the live draft is a big part of fantasy baseball. It was one of the main reasons why I retired from my current leagues because I couldn't make the draft. I also agree that barring last minute emergencies there really is no reason why you shouldn't be able to make the draft. My recent leagues would schedule the date at least 6 months before and that is after consulting all the owners to make sure there weren't any conflicts.
                              拖裤子,
                              放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                my daughter's birthday is April 1st so I'm always having to jockey around on draft dates, but you know what, I do it, and if I couldn't, I'd get a proxy to draft for me that one year.....
                                My own birthday is April 4, and a few times I've had to auction on my birthday -- but there are few things I'd rather do on my birthday.

I wouldn't skip an important family event for an auction, but I would do my best to find a proxy so that I could remain in the league. Heck, I have a guy on standby this year in case my wife goes into labor a month early.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X