Best album covers draft - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
    I don't believe you selected a category for your most recent pick.
    Probably Synergistic or Wildcard.

Comment

• Btw, the London Calling cover is likely a play off another which I won't post in case someone is planning to pick it.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Btw, the London Calling cover is likely a play off another which I won't post in case someone is planning to pick it.
        It's cover art Inception when you add in all the copies of the copies.

Comment

I love it too, just razzing Lucky because he has never been a fan.

BTW, I think that's a drum not a potato.
          Well, if it's a drum, then it's just stupid. If it's a peeled potato, then it's brilliant!
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Gris close on the title lol.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Gris close on the title lol.
              Damnit!

I can't figure the damn picture thing either!

Comment

• Hey guys, sorry I haven't been as active in the discussion yet, just got back from Vegas last night then drove right back down to San Diego this morning to see Kurt Vile with some out-of-town friends.

This might be the most open-ended draft I've seen on here since everything's so subjective. Besides a handful of truly iconic album covers, I'm guessing a lot will come down to personal taste. Once I get home tomorrow I can finally do a little research and formulate a spreadsheet so making picks will be easier.

Was happy that DSOTM fell to me at 6 since that was the first album to come to mind when the idea of this draft was brought up. Otherwise I might have picked something dumb and gotten made fun of for it Not sure how Who's Next will be received, I know it's a classic album and I like the cover but I have no idea whether it's considered a classic cover or not. Plus, none of the albums off the top of my head were iconic and had the band on the cover so I figured I'd get that one out of the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  Otherwise I might have picked something dumb and gotten made fun of for it
                  I thought that was the point of Sports Bar drafts

Comment

• Who's Next is a really good pick ... it's a very album covery album cover.

If there was a Coveriest Cover for an Album Cover category, that might win. It's got a the boxes ticked:

[x] All the band members in a weird unnatural poses
                    [x] No band members looking at each other
                    [x] Overblown framing of the shot
                    [x] Composition makes little sense under scrutiny
                    [x] Still cool AF

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      Hey guys, sorry I haven't been as active in the discussion yet, just got back from Vegas last night then drove right back down to San Diego this morning to see Kurt Vile with some out-of-town friends.

This might be the most open-ended draft I've seen on here since everything's so subjective. Besides a handful of truly iconic album covers, I'm guessing a lot will come down to personal taste. Once I get home tomorrow I can finally do a little research and formulate a spreadsheet so making picks will be easier.

Was happy that DSOTM fell to me at 6 since that was the first album to come to mind when the idea of this draft was brought up. Otherwise I might have picked something dumb and gotten made fun of for it Not sure how Who's Next will be received, I know it's a classic album and I like the cover but I have no idea whether it's considered a classic cover or not. Plus, none of the albums off the top of my head were iconic and had the band on the cover so I figured I'd get that one out of the way.
                      I thought it was a great pick, another cover on my very short list along with Dark Side. IIRC, the story is that the lads just happened upon this scene while traveling from here to there, and the rest is rock and roll / misdemeanor history.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• such a pain in the ass finding source images for these. any other suggestions?

Aladdin Sane isn't even my favorite Bowie album (though it is top-3), but IIRC I still picked many its songs during the Bowie draft. I was at a store just last week and saw this cover on a lunch box. I was tempted to get it but my girls opted for shopkins and my little pony.
                        Last edited by DMT; 12-10-2018, 10:36 AM.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

such a pain in the ass finding source images for these. any other suggestions?

Aladdin Sane isn't even my favorite Bowie album (though it is top-3), but IIRC I still picked many its songs during the Bowie draft. I was at a store just last week and saw this cover on a lunch box. I was tempted to get it my girls opted for shopkins and my little pony.
                          I have found older sites to be most useful. Wikipedia, discogs.

Comment

• First Led Zep cover doesn't go until the end of round 2. We're evolving guys. Proud of you guys. *wipesatear*

More surprising given that they have some great covers.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              First Led Zep cover doesn't go until the end of round 2. We're evolving guys. Proud of you guys. *wipesatear*
                              3 Beatles in the`1st round
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

3 Beatles in the`1st round
                                Baby steps

Comment

Working...
                                X