No announcement yet.

Best album covers draft - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other good categories would have been back cover and inner cover.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Nice pick Senorsheep. Live Through This is a superb record, and one of the greatest vocal performances of any era. She had the greatest howl in rock history imo. The way she could fluently go from soft and gentle to a snarling demon in a single phrase was incredible. Unique.

The inherent sexism of our society has really diminished Courtney Love's achievements. A man would have been celebrated to the rafters, she gets mocked and ridiculed, and her achievements reduced to snide comments about Kurt Cobain being the real brains behind her work.

Comment

• Edit to note, it was on my longer list, because I didn't expect anyone else to take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Other good categories would have been back cover and inner cover.
          If the back cover of the Pretenders' debut had been the front cover, it might have been my "Defining Band Shot" pick.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Nice pick Senorsheep. Live Through This is a superb record, and one of the greatest vocal performances of any era. She had the greatest howl in rock history imo. The way she could fluently go from soft and gentle to a snarling demon in a single phrase was incredible. Unique.

The inherent sexism of our society has really diminished Courtney Love's achievements. A man would have been celebrated to the rafters, she gets mocked and ridiculed, and her achievements reduced to snide comments about Kurt Cobain being the real brains behind her work.
            All true, though she didn't do herself any favors with her public meltdowns and career nosedive. She made her critics' accusations believable, even though they were complete nonsense.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                All true, though she didn't do herself any favors with her public meltdowns and career nosedive. She made her critics' accusations believable, even though they were complete nonsense.
                Yeah, and that's the sexism. If it was a dude having that meltdown, it'd be different. I mean no one spoke about David Bowie being a bad father when he spent most of a decade whacked off his head. They celebrate the creative achievements and interpret the lifestyle as a kind of romantic roguishness. Courtney Love got slayed by the press for every indiscretion, and moreover, they were looking for those indiscretions ... true or otherwise. The press loved nothing more than sticking a camera in her face every time she'd had too much to drink ... and there was noone protecting her from herself. I certainly don't blame her from having meltdowns given the scrutiny she was under and the fact her unstable husband blew his own brains out. I think we'd all crumble under that. It's to her credit she's been able to fight back and maintain her fuck you attitude over the years.

I'm ambivalent to a lot of the political correctness of contemporary society, but it's so right when it comes to the everyday sexism and misogyny that was everywhere until very recently (still is, let's face it).

Comment

• Regretting having so many categories.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                    Just keep rubbing it in...

Comment

Regretting having so many categories.
                      Why? I think it is going very well. I am enjoying it.

Comment

• Damn you DMT! HotH is easily my favorite LZ cover but it felt creepy to put it in NSFW and I wasn't ready to use up a WC yet. Oh well, should've just done it last round

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          Damn you DMT! HotH is easily my favorite LZ cover but it felt creepy to put it in NSFW and I wasn't ready to use up a WC yet. Oh well, should've just done it last round
                          Yea, we should have more WC slots.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Yea, we should have more WC slots.
                            Has anybody picked a "Bad Album/ Great Cover" yet? If not, make that one a wildcard.

Comment

Has anybody picked a "Bad Album/ Great Cover" yet? If not, make that one a wildcard.
                              Good idea.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

I had one on my list for that category but hadn't looked into it any further. Doubt anyone would be sad to see it go.

Comment

Working...
                                X