Bohemian Rhapsody - The Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bohemian Rhapsody - The Movie

As many of you know, I'm a huge Queen fan!

So I went to FIRST NIGHT, FIRST SHOWING in my town (last Thursday at 7pm).

I thought the movie was well done. Some old-school stuff/music for us avid fans and enough of the "hits" for the newer/younger fans, like my kids.

It was a little slow in the middle of the film, focusing a ton on the sexuality conflict with Freddie....but I expected that.

Anyone else see it yet? I know Steve 2.0 did.

Hey, just my thoughts...on the movie.

Gris

There's a huge gap between critics (49 metascore) and fans (8.4 IMDB) thus far, so I'm glad to hear positive feedback.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      There's a huge gap between critics (49 metascore) and fans (8.4 IMDB) thus far, so I'm glad to hear positive feedback.
      I don't know what the critics expected, but I thought it did a nice job of mixing between the music story and the personal story.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
        I don't know what the critics expected, but I thought it did a nice job of mixing between the music story and the personal story.
        I remember Sasha Baron Cohen complaining awhile back that the surviving members of Queen wanted the movie to be more about them than Freddie, and continue on for like half the movie after his death. He had a problem with that (rightfully so, imo). Does this version end up doing that, or is it focused on Freddie's life and end with his death?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I remember Sasha Baron Cohen complaining awhile back that the surviving members of Queen wanted the movie to be more about them than Freddie, and continue on for like half the movie after his death. He had a problem with that (rightfully so, imo). Does this version end up doing that, or is it focused on Freddie's life and end with his death?
          I haven't seen it but read that it's basically Mercury's wikipedia page in video form.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

My wife and I saw it Friday. I was a fan of Queen growing up but they were never one of my favorite bands. I was shocked when my wife said she wanted to go. We both really liked the movie and I plan to go with a friend this weekend and see it on the IMAX screen.

Gris, I find it interesting the you feel "focusing a ton on the sexuality conflict with Freddie." Most of the critics hate the movie because they feel his sexuality wasn't address appropriately and that it kind of made the remaining members of Queen seem somewhat homophobic or jealous of Freddie and his shining star. I tend to agree with you Gris. The movie touched on his sexuality and the conflict that he felt but it wasn't the focus of the movie. I think if the focus of the movie was on Freddie's sexuality then it would have been a slap in the face to Freddie. Freddie didn't go public with his sexuality. That was his private business so I think the band did right by Freddie in the way it was shown.

I think a big problem for the people who do not like the movie is that they see it as a Freddie Mercury biopic. It was never meant to be a Freddie Mercury biopic. It is a Queen biopic however I do think the movie was about 85% Freddie and 15% Queen.

It's a good movie well worth seeing in the theater.
            Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
            Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

It does focus more on Freddie's life than the others and it ends with the end of the Live Aid concert and then screens of text noting Freddie losing his life to aids and the creation of the Phoenix Trust research.

Comment

I hear it's for Freddy fans only.

Did you know two of the four have PhDs?

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  I hear it's for Freddy fans only.

Did you know two of the four have PhDs?

J
                  Yes, I did. All four of them attended college. Roger Taylor was in dentistry of all things.

Comment

Focusing on Freddie is not fair. We feel your pain Queen-

Signed Big Brother and the Holding Company

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                      Yes, I did. All four of them attended college. Roger Taylor was in dentistry of all things.
                      Where he fell in love with his car.
                      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

I thought it was a bicycle.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                        X